Search Unity

Question Uniform attractiveness of Signed Distance Field

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by alexandre-fiset, Sep 4, 2020.

1. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I am spawning particles from the depth of the camera and want these particles to randomly stick on a surface of a signed distance field.

I have made a bear head SDF that looks like this:

upload_2020-9-4_11-5-36.png

It can properly work if I spawn particles from a sphere around the SDF, but as soon as the spawning isn't consistant on all side, particles seem to only stick to a specific area of the SDF.

This is spawned from the depth texture of the main camera, see that particles gather on the left side.

upload_2020-9-4_11-7-4.png

As opposed to spawned from a sphere where they stick rather uniformly on the SDF surface.

upload_2020-9-4_11-9-25.png

My question is: Is there a way for the particles to always spread uniformly on the SDF surface?

The end goal is to create a spawning effect where particles emit from the depth of the camera to form the shape of the enemy.

2. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, we're adding a sample SDF operator, so you'll have more flexibility about where you sample and what you do with SDF sampled data. It may help achieve what you're looking for.

alexandre-fiset and florianhanke like this.
  3. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Also, if you want the particles to completely randomly choose destination point of surface, you don't really need spatial information (thus SDF) and might consider baking you destination point set in a point cache instead?