Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Uniduino - Arduino for Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by edwon, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ibyte

ibyte

I found UnityOSC but have not tried it yet. - https://github.com/jorgegarcia/UnityOSC.

Any plans to support Firmata over ethernet? - google finds a few implementations.

iByte

2. edwon

edwon

No plans for Firmata over ethernet at the moment, but once again that does seem like a good idea for the next update (especially if more people request it)!

3. trelobyte

trelobyte

firmata over ethernet looks good count me in !

4. jman12

jman12

Hello edwon. I am curious as to what type of bulbs you used for the light flicker effect in the demo video? Would it be hazardous to use other bulbs?

5. edwon

edwon

Yo Jman,

We used Edison type bulbs in the video. We happened to have them sitting around and thought they would look creepy so we decided to use em! You could use any light of any kind though. Unidunio is all about trying new things so go crazy! As for safety, it would probably not be good to have lights like that flickering for hours on end, if you wanted to have a permanent installation I'd suggest finding lights designed specifically for that purpose. I'm not a safety expert though so just use discretion and be careful out there.

- Edwon

6. kodagames

kodagames

Hey Edwon,

Thanks for getting back to me. So its unfortunate that it will not work with smartphone or tablet devices.

Does or will it work from a web application or in unity terms web build that has been compiled uploaded to the internet?
    Also how about standalone builds? I just want to make sure it doesn't only work from the Unity IDE.

I cant wait to get my arduino kit to start toying around :)

Sincerely,
    Michael

7. John-Higuera

John-Higuera

Hello Edwon,

We buy this great asset, we have just acquired a board Mega2560 R3 ATmega2560-16AU,,, also some GY-521 Gyro+Acelerom,, the thing is that in the Arduino software we follow your setup tutorial and only connecting the board, it works flawless on the port COM5.

The situation is when I try it on unity and after installing the drivers, when I run the UniduinoTestPanel Scene, the panel is trying to access the COM3, therefore there is an error that says “The device is not connected”.

In few words, Arduino software find the board in a COM5 and without changing anything Unity is trying to access it on COM3 and throw and error.

I’m using the latest Unity Pro version, windows 8 64 bits, Arduino 1.0.5, tha latest Uniduino and Mega2560 R3 Board.

Any advice on this!
    Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. edwon

edwon

Hi Michael,

We have never done a web application using Uniduino, but we have done stand alone Mac/Pc builds that do work. Make sure to post with what you have in progress!

- Edwon

9. edwon

edwon

Hi John,

Have you tried pressing the "guess" button in the Uniduino Control Panel? This will change the port. You can also change the port on the Uniduino prefab object in your scene until you have selected the correct one.

- Edwon

10. John-G

John-G

You can also changd the port numder of the arduino from 5to 3 in the control panel.
    Select the arduino from the devices and right click to select properties then select advanced settings.
    You can change the port number to 3.

11. John-Higuera

John-Higuera

Hi Edwon and John G,
    Thanks for your quick answer. Both suggestions works, thank you very much!

NOTE: I tried the "guess button" in the past but it didn't change the port, maybe something to do with my laptop. So one way to solve this was to change the port in the Control Panel (Ports COM LPT in the Arduino Device) as John G suggest, and change it for the one that I saw listed in Unity during the scene UniduinoTestPanel. But the other way that is the one that I actually used, was the Edwan suggestion, I actually Turn off the AutoConnect option on the script (Arduino in the Scene UniduinoTestPanel) and write down the name of the port (in my case COM5), then after press PLAY in unity, I just press "Connect" button and it connect with no problem.

Thank You!

12. kodagames

kodagames

@ Edwon
    Its good to know that you can do PC/Mac standalone builds :) Have you done anything with bluetooth? (if so mobile may not be too far off?)

@ ibyte
    How easy / difficult is it to use OSC for building an interface for smart devices?

I wish I could use Unity because Im already familiar with it (creating interfaces is easy) but my main goal is to use smart devices with arduino projects so I may have to go the OSC way.

Sincerely,
    Michael

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  13. ibyte

ibyte

:( Still haven't managed to get there yet ....

iByte

14. kodagames

kodagames

I appreciate the response ibyte :) if I get there before you Ill let you know how I make out if you like.

15. petey

petey

Hey did you guys manage to get this working with a mobile device? I have a project I'd love to get working with this.

16. trelobyte

trelobyte

Guys any news for uniduino working with mobile over wifi?
    i asked on uniduino forum but everyone is asleep...
    cheers

17. AlwaysBeCoding247

AlwaysBeCoding247

Have to look into this. Two of my favorite toys, Arduino and Unity, playing together? Very interesting

18. TheRaider

TheRaider

Does this support lilypad?

19. trelobyte

trelobyte

have not tested lilypad ...but since it can load firmata i don't see why not...

20. mgear

mgear

Any tips what kind of arduino kit to buy, to use this with gyro..?

21. jonlab

jonlab

The simpler of most available is the Arduino UNO.
    What kind of gyro do you want to connect ? (you'll find SPI/I2C or analog ones, I think).

22. mgear

mgear

23. x_ming_x

x_ming_x

Hello , ooh this looks like fun :)

ok so im just about to buy this but then with my growing experience in hasty purchases i thought i should perhaps check some details with you guys first, so i would like to use this to control a relay board for some home automation controlling 10 amp 240v devices, i would like to have it with a usb cable going to the relays, so my questions are

1, is this possible with your kit using the playmaker actions
    2, could you suggest a relay board that will be compatible

many thanks

24. TheRaider

TheRaider

Do you know of anyway to upload programs to the board directly?

25. mgear

mgear

Some info after testing,
    - Arduino Uno
    - Tinkerkit shield
    - Tinkerkit Gyro

Everything works ok (and uniduino plugin is great)

Only problem with this kind of simple setup is gyro drifting..

26. edwon

edwon

Hey x_ming_x,

Yes this should be possible using Playmaker and relays. We used a relay connected to an Arduino Uno to make the lamps flash in the Uniduino trailer video.

I can't recommend a relay board though as I'm not that knowledgeable about them! I would check the arduino.cc forums as they have tons of info and recommendation about hardware.

Hope that helps!

- Edwon

27. nidhalkratos

nidhalkratos

Hey, Uniduino is a great tool for controlling Arduino using unity3d but for those who want to learn things from scratch or who just can't pay for it here is a gift to you

Please tell me if i helped :)

28. hubatish

hubatish

Does anyone know if this works for Android?

29. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

How to make it works with I2C? I want to make get data from hmc5883l magnetometer sensors but i stuck in I2C part. If possible, i want to make it connect to more than one hmc5883l magnetometer sensors

30. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Does anyone know if it's possible to implement something like this with the Uniduino plugin?

The guy reads in the light sensor data from the Arduino to the PC, and then adjusts the brightness from there.

31. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Currently, I have the Arduino setup with the Sketch IDE, I'm reading in it's data to a port, then I access that port in Unity to read the values. Does this plugin remove the step of having to use the Sketch IDE?