Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unicode character not showing on Android

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by pintianz, May 10, 2019.

1. pintianz

pintianz

I'm using some Unicode symbols in the UI Text component. These symbols (see picture) shows fine in Editor and iOS. But when running on Android, the text don't see, to show.
    upload_2019-5-9_20-40-3.png upload_2019-5-9_20-38-9.png
    The font I'm using does not have these characters. Base on what I've searched online. It seems the Character field value of "Dynamic" allows Unity to search for the unicode character from a list of fallback fonts in runtime. And it seems the Android device I used to text does not support Dynamic Characters.

My project use alot of Text in many places, I'd want to fix the issue of Android not showing unicode character with the least amount of change to the project. What do you guys suggest is the best solution for this problem. Should I just add the characters into the font file? Is there an free editor that you all recommend?

Attached Files:

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Your best options would be to (1) perhaps select an alternative font that includes all the characters you need or (2) add the missing characters to your font file (using some font editing tool).

Either of these options would guaranteed whatever characters you are using are always available regardless of the platform used.

3. pintianz

pintianz

I think solution 2 works better for me since I want to use a specific font for the regular letters and numbers. Do you have any recommendation on font editing tool?

Do you know a good way to find an existing font that has all the character to work with? Using Dynamic character in the Editor seems to cover all the special character I need. Is there a way I can access the fall back fonts of the editor and add the desired characters into my font's ttf?

Sorry I'm really new to the world of font.

Last edited: May 10, 2019