Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Uni2D tool: A new amazing way to create 2D games in Unity!!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Bento-Studio, Jul 6, 2012.

1. MindJuice

MindJuice

The Uni2D menu suddenly appeared after swapping in and out of Unity a few times.

No idea why, but either the plugin or Unity seems to have a bug.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. orb

orb

The menu bugs could very well be Unity itself. Whenever I import a package, I have to activate any menu for the new package's own menu to appear if it has a top-level menu. Some people using the Windows version even end up having to restart. It's a bit wonky :)

3. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

This looks really good. Love the presentation. Really feels like it actually is easy to make 2d games :)

4. deadswine

deadswine

Is there a way to make actual prefabs out of in game sprites? Prefab links always break when i make one

Anyway love this!

Ps. should i wait with buying smooth moves because you mentioned something about animation.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  5. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@Bioblaze : hahaha Thx! Back from unite - you should love the new GUI!

@MindJuice What is your Unity version ? Nobody report this problem before you. Did you find a solution?

@deadswine Because of sharing mesh problems, we have made the choice of to doesn't support the update of the prefab. If the mesh is totally shared, there might be some confusion with the others sprites. There is a lot of case where it can breaks silently your assets. We will look for a better approach for future versions.
    For your last question animation feature will not (yet) concerns skeletal but sprite animation so you can buy smoothmoves.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  6. BaronGalf

BaronGalf

Do you expect a discount price soon ? I'm hesitating for 2D toolkit or your asset right now. Your asset look fantastic but is not complete for my kind of project (still need sprite animation, light and shadow in 2D)

7. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@BaronGalf
    No sorry about this but the price will not be discounted.
    This is currently a "launch price"so if you buy it now you will get sprite animation feature at the best price.
    Our update is planned for the end of this month.
    We don't bring any lighting feature with this update.
    Hope this answer to your question and have a nice day!

8. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

Do you have any type of font support? I have started using Uni2d but if I cannot get font and live text support I will need to go back to using 2d toolkit so I can finish this project.

9. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Sorry but we don't have yet font support. So you're right, you have to use unity or an another plugin like 2D toolkit.
    Cheers

10. paraself

paraself

Hiii Nice plugin, have been using it in our project along with ex2D. But Do you have a roadmap for Uni2d? What is functions going to be added in the future, something like this...

11. Gangsta-Geek

Gangsta-Geek

Bought uni2d a few months back and I love it but I am having some issues with the altas generator. It keeps on cutting images off. Is there a way to generate you own atlas and exchange it?

*Request Feature* It would be great if you could drag an atlas texture in and have uni2d break each image up into separate sprites

I used uni2d for this

12. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Hi Bento,

This looks like a great and simple product! I'm super interested in buying it (especially with news of the animation feature coming out soon), but deadswine's comment has me worried. Are you saying that we can't make prefabs out of Uni2D Sprites? Or that we *can* make prefabs, but if the texture changes the prefab won't update?

Thanks for clarifying!

13. BTStone

BTStone

May i ask how may Draw Calls you have within that Scene?

14. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@Gangsta Geek : Amazing work dude! It's just gorgeous oO
    It's so impressive to see what people do with our tool. Thank you very much.

For the atlas it's not a bug. The atlasing method used is pretty roots but really efficient.
    When you add a texture to your atlas you must be carefull to don't get oustside the size of the atlas texture. If you do so the texture atlased will shown as cutted or not present.
    So the solution is simple if you something wrong, just remove some texture and pack them into a new atlas.

@bryantdrewjones Thanks for your comment! As you say, the animation will come very soonly. Yes, the prefabs are not supported (mainly for a complex shared physic mesh resource issue with unity). But you can perfectly imagine share a material between sprites. It's very simple. Just drag a new material from your ressources to the sprites you want to be shared. The only hints is you can't change any parameters in the component nor change the physic. Doing this will refresh the link with the internal material. In this case you just have to set the material. We should improve this point in the next updates.

15. orb

orb

How close is the official animation stuff to being released? I'd like to protoype something with an artist, and have him do as much as possible without my hand-holding :)

16. deadswine

deadswine

#REQUEST#

Can you implement to atlast generator feature that automaticaly calmp textures added to atls. Its annoing for me had to do it so many times alredy

17. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@orb We proceed in approval certainly this Monday

@deadswine You are right, we want to improve atlas feature.

18. BTStone

BTStone

Could you please tell me the correct Camera-Settings with Uni2D? Because i have some problems with other plugins.
    I am using:

- Smooth Moves (2D Bone Animation)
    - nGUI (User Interface PlugIn)

I have problems with the camera.

The thing is, SmoothMoves uses automatically pixel-perfect settings as far as i know, that means, if i want to get an pixel perfect effect, my camera has to be half the screen size (i am developing for iPhone 4, so my resolution is 960x640, and my camerasize is 320 in order to get this pixel-perfect effect. So i don't have to scale up/and down my gameobjects.

BUT! If i want to use Uni2D sprites, they are so small in relation to my SmoothMoves-GamesObjects. With a camerasize of 320 i have a SmoothMove-Object like 100x200, wich is fine.
    I loaded an 960x640 .PNG file as a background and made it an Uni2D sprite and it was so small. I just had two options:

1) Change the camera settings, from 320 to something like 10 or 5
    2) changing the Uni2D Setting "Sprite-Scale" in the Inspector of the Uni2D Sprite

But, when i change the camera settings to something like 10, the SmoothMoves-GameObject is way to big, so i have to downscale it with the Unity-Scale (which is a bad thing to do) like a hundred times

And the second option is not quite better. I have to Sprite-Scale the Uni2D sprite like 80-times, so it fits to the camerasize of 320.

And as far as i know, nGUI has its own camerasettings *laugh, and i didn't use that in my project yet, so i have to think about that, too.

Is there any solution for that?

19. BTStone

BTStone

I got your email, i wrote back ;)

20. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

@Mayhem, Try an orthographic camera size of 3.2 instead of 320. That should make your Uni2D sprites pixel perfect (most 2D plugins make 1 unit = 1 pixel, but Uni2D prefers 1 unit = 1 metre = 100 pixels).

21. BTStone

BTStone

Thanks for the advice, but didn't you read the whole post? I tried that out, and it works with Uni2D, but my SmoothMove-Gameobjects are way to big then.
    Something has to be scaled up respectively scaled down (Camerasize, SmoothMove-Gameobject in the Scalesettings of the Transform-Component or the Uni2D Sprites' Spritescale-Factor) in order to work quite well, but there must be something like a better solution or a workaround.

22. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Use multiple cameras. Have one camera that only renders your Uni2D sprites, and another camera that renders your SmoothMoves sprites. Or just scale everything up or down. No harm in that.

23. BTStone

BTStone

Is that so? Hm, i want also to use nGUI and I don't know if you use or ever used SmoothMoves, but echo17 (the developer of the SmoothMoves Plugin) suggested using a different camera also for nGUI.

So, three different cameras for three different PlugIns. It just seems not...right :D

Really? I read, scaling up/down would perform kind of quality loss.

24. hamedaf

hamedaf

does this plugin support unity 3.5 beta flash exporter?

25. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@hamedaf:Yes it support beta Flash exporter, but can't be deeply tested because this exporter is in beta state.

26. Peeffy

Peeffy

Im between this and 2D Toolkit....What are the differences?

27. BTStone

BTStone

Hey there, got (again) a little problem.

So, i made these two clouds in illustrator, exported them as .png files, imported them -
    Set the Texture-Settings: Disabled MipMaps and set the Wrap Mode to "Clamp"

But!

I get these black lines around my sprite:

Here is one of the original sprites:

The corners of the sprite are all lightly-bluewish, but Unity/Uni2D shows them with those little black lines, like in the Scene-picture above.

Any suggestions?

28. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

@Mayhem: That looks like an alpha channel issue. Unless you're using the Super PNG format, PNGs won't import into Unity with an alpha channel. You can read more about the problem and the suggested solution here and here. Basically, you'll need to download some Photoshop plugins that automatically create an alpha channel for you, and then save your texture using a format that supports alpha channels (.PSD or .TGA, for example).

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  29. BTStone

BTStone

Ah, great, thanks for the help (again :D), but is there a plugin for Illustrator, too, because we created all our assets in Illustrator :/

30. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Oh, I'm not sure :-/ Maybe Illustrator automatically saves an alpha channel for you? Try saving your textures as a .tga instead of a .png. Or, if your textures have hard, clean edges, you could try using Unity's Transparent/Cutout shader.

31. BTStone

BTStone

.tga is not an option. Literally. I only can save it as:

if i choose "Save as":

- .ai
    - .eps
    - .ait
    - .pdf
    - .fxg
    - .svg and .svgz

if i choose "Save for web and devices " (and this is how i saved them before):

- .gif
    - .jpeg
    - PNG-8
    - PNG-24
    - SWF
    - SVG
    - WBMP

We are using Illustrator CS5. Didn't buy CS6 yet, don't know if they have that feature.

32. BTStone

BTStone

Ah, yes...export....

33. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Hmm...I'm not sure then :( Sorry! Hopefully someone else will jump in with a solution for you!

But do try the Transparent/Cutout shader on your existing .png textures. Maybe that will clear up the artifacts.

34. BTStone

BTStone

Hm. Now it seems to be okay, but the image itself isn't transparent at all. It's just the cloud with an white background.

35. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Ah, it must not have saved with an alpha channel. When the "Save As" dialogue box comes up, make sure you check the "Alpha Channel" box near the bottom. And make sure to save it as a 32 bit .tga; anything lower won't hold an alpha channel.

Sorry! I should have mentioned that earlier!

36. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Oops, never mind. I did a quick Google search and at quick glance it looks like Illustrator doesn't create an alpha channel with targa files :( Sorry Mayhem. Someone with Illustrator experience will have to help you out :(

37. BTStone

BTStone

Allright, i'll go to "Export"-> Save as "Test", selected the .tga-format, but there is no Alpha Channel box. If i click on "Export", i'll go to to a box, which asks me for my resolution, colormode (RGB etc.) and options of Optimizing (Supersampling etc.), after that i have to choose the bit-size, yeah. But there is no option for checking the Alpha Channel.

To clear things up: Working an Macbook with Illustrator CS5. (Damn, this is kind of embarrasing, i am not the artist of the team and Illustrator/PS aren't my best friends :D )

Edit:

Ah, allright, never mind, i appreciate your help, though! Thanks, mate ;)

38. BTStone

BTStone

I researched a little and someone had a similar problem and he was told to do this:

I mean, i could set it to Clamp, but, maybe that could be a solution?

39. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Could be! I set all my textures to Clamp just out of habit. Give it a try! :)

40. BTStone

BTStone

Ah, damn typo, i meant: "I did set it to Clamp", i am setting them right after the import to clamp. The thing is, with other sprites/textures there isn't such a problem (not yet :D), maybe it's really that transparent-border-thing. I'll talk with the artist about that. Thanks anyway :)

41. BTStone

BTStone

Allright, i think....i just THINK i got it myself (and with your help, bryantdrewjones). I just pulled the cloud into Photoshop, and saved it just as a .psd file, then i dragged it into Unity, set up the settings (MipMaps off, ClampMode) and voila: No black lines at all!

AND: i didn't have to use the plugin you mentioned, i just saved it as .psd (at the bottom box, there was the Alpha-Channel option, but it was grayed out, i couldn't even select it and i couldn't save the file as .tga, but now it isn't necessary)

42. BTStone

BTStone

It seems, there appeared another problem:

Imported the .psd file, did all the settings and tried to built my level, then i saw this:

Here is my plattform and a green bush.

Here i put the bush behind the plattform, and as you see, the corners aren't they way i want them to be:

The funny thing is, i tried the same thing with a .png instead of .psd, and it worked all fine. Is there such a difference between .png and .psd?

43. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

What do you mean when you say that the corners aren't the way you want them to be? I'm not seeing anything glaringly wrong in that screenshot :-/ Can you post a comparison between the png and psd textures?

44. BTStone

BTStone

Sorry, i should described that more clearly.

Look at here.

These are the .psd files:

And these are the .png files:

Look at the .psd-plattform, its' outline has a thin greyish outline above the black one, and that shouldn't be, whereas the .png file are properly drawn.

45. bryantdrewjones

bryantdrewjones

Ahh. That looks exactly like the alpha issue we were talking about before (although it's not clear to me why the png file would look any different).

You're using Photoshop to save the textures, right? I would suggest going here (http://technology.blurst.com/remove-white-borders-in-transparent-textures/) and downloading the two plugins at the bottom of the post (the free Solidify plugin and the corresponding Photoshop actions). Install those, relaunch Photoshop, open your "Actions" palette, and run the "Stamp Alpha" action (make sure you have at least 2 layers in your file. Create a blank layer if need be). Save the stamped texture as a PSD and import that into Unity.

The action will bleed the edge colours to remove any visible transparency from your texture, and it will create an alpha channel that Unity can read to correctly render the transparent portions.

I'm pretty sure that will solve your problems! Hopefully! :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  46. BTStone

BTStone

Sir, you saved my life, really. It worked like a charm. I thought i didn't have to do that, because yesterday it worked quite well, till i started today to "puzzle" the single sprites together.

Allrighty then, i'll see you again till the next problem or the announcment of the game ;D

47. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Hello!
    Interesting discussion dudes!

We have made tests on our side, the problem seems to come from Unity with PSD files. The alpha channel looks not correctly handled by the texture importer. We don't know really why but we have similar issues with and without using Uni2D.

As a workaround, please consider PNG format rather than PSD.
    Another solution may exist, please share if anyone knows!

EDIT : Thank you bryantdrewjones, it's a very useful answer!

48. Peeffy

Peeffy

Hey quick question: What size should I make for the sprites for a mobile game?? I made 64x64 8 bit but when I import to Unity and make it a Sprite the quality is not as good as when i made the sprite...Whats happening?Its a PNG file,I disabled Mipmaps and chose "Clamps" but the quality is not good.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  49. BTStone

BTStone

Which Programm do you use? (PS or Illustrator)
    And how exactly do you save your file? Save as? Or "Save for Web and Devices"?

@Bento-Studio

When do you plan to release your updates :) Looking forward to it

50. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@Peeffy First, please check the texture compression is set to "Truecolor" (= without compression).

If it doesn't solve your problem, please send us a screenshot that shows the problem.