Search Unity

Uni2D tool: A new amazing way to create 2D games in Unity!!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Bento-Studio, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Umresh

Umresh

Hi Bento,
    When i convert the sprite to Mesh using "Texture to Mesh" it forms the mesh and when i animate deforms in unexpected way. I want to know is there any way which i can create the points using the poly collider and convert that data to mesh instead of automatic Texture to Mesh. Texture to Mesh.png After Animation.png

2. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Hello! You have to use the grid mode in this situation to get the correct visual.
    For the physic, you can use a polygon collider and use the "subdivision" parameter to avoid this pb.

3. Umresh

Umresh

If i use the grid mode mesh is deformed on the leg when i move hand. I tried reducing the skin Quality and Bone influence fallback but there is still deformation but reduced a little. Deformation.png

4. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

When I create a prefab, my GameObject is not linked with the prefab... Is it normal ?

Thanks !

5. Umresh

Umresh

Did you drag the gameobject on to prefab?

6. ababab5

ababab5

It s the only way to create a prefab no ? ;)

7. ptm_oo

ptm_oo

I found that disabling Uni2DSprite component prevent from losing prefab connection. Works for me.

ababab5 likes this.
  8. ababab5

ababab5

Ho ok so the button "prefab" in the inspector doesn't work, right ?

9. ababab5

ababab5

I Have another question : When do I need to choose a 2D or a 3D collider in Uni2D ? I don't understand the difference for a 2D game ..

Thank you

10. ptm_oo

ptm_oo

Yeah 'select,revert & apply' buttons work, but they lose the connection right after change. So the only good practice is to spawn the prefabs by code.
    If you use only 2D Physics then use 2D collider, mixing it with 3D is something I don't know Unity worked out yet (maybe in 5.0?). That's why there is 3d collider option if someone whats 3d physics.

ababab5 likes this.
  11. ababab5

ababab5

Ok it was an enigma for me ;) thanks !

Is it a way for deform bones when there is a collision ?

Thanks for everything !

12. kilik128

kilik128

any tut's on ParallaxLayer please

13. maltadirk

maltadirk

@Bento-Studio
    With regards using Uni2D Atlasas. The game I have is using lots of sprites. I have the Pro version and was using the Unity Asset Bundle Packer. The thing is I'm not gonna store the assets on a server, they're going to be stored locally.
    Does Uni2D Atlas have any advantages/disadvantages I should be concerned about before porting everything?
    Thanks

14. ababab5

ababab5

Hi everybody,

Any advice to have a simple circle sprite without pixel ? Thanks !

15. HaoIn

HaoIn

Sorry ....... , I've solved this problem after I read "UNI2D V2.1 REFERENCE" in page14 once again !!:):p:D:cool::rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  16. lend

lend

Is Uni2D compatible to Unity5?
    It has not been updated from Sep 30, 2014.

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  17. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Uni2D is now compliant with Unity5!
    We will show soon some videos of the community using Uni2D!
    Cheers!

paraself and OnePxl like this.
  18. hasen

hasen

How does it compare with puppet2D? What can it do that puppet2D can't? Thanks.

19. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Uni2D is at start a 2D framework focused on the deformation of meshes. You can deform a single mesh with a structure of bones including its physics in realtime both in editor and in runtime directly inside Unity.

The deformed sprites in Uni2D could be very easily mixed in 2D environnement and you could batch deformed objects.

Uni2D might be helpful in other situations. For instance, you can use our solution to create opaque sprite from alpha, optimize large sprites by removing unused part of alpha without using the Unity feature "tight mesh" that could break the dynamic draw call pipeline.

So for me, Puppet 2D is more rich in animation features and Uni2D is more oriented optimisation and physics with the same ability to deform meshes.

paraself and theANMATOR2b like this.
  20. kilik128

kilik128

what's new

21. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Hello!

After the conversion to Unity5 we had a lot of mails and some of you have create very interesting contents that we'll show today!

The first one have been done by "Hitsu San" that created a character with our plugin in a demo called "Biomator"
    here is the link to discover his amazing work!
    http://hitsusan.altervista.org/Animations/Bioarmor4/Bioarmor4.html

And here is a link on how he begun his creation :
    http://hitsusan.altervista.org/Animations/Bioarmor4/bioarmor4_demo_making_of.mp4

The second one is named "Christopher Conlan" the studio is called "Pweter Game" and his project called "The Little Acre"
    The project is aimed for XboneOne within the program "ID@Xbox" He decided to use Uni2D in his project for giving more life on its levels !

Don't hesitate to let us know what you are doing with our plugin and post your creations too!
    Cheers!

22. Sander140

Sander140

I just bought Uni2D V2.1 in the "I <3 2D" sale on the Asset Store, and I can't wait to play around with it! :D

I see that it is some time since the V2.1 version came out, and I would like to know if there is an V3 (or 2.2) in the making? And what are your plans for the future of the product?

I think it would be cool if you added simple ways to deform sprites without the use of bones, just like this asset does: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/27067 .

23. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Hello,
    Are there any Top-down 2D games that were created using Uni2D?
    P.S. I am interested in strategy games with buildings and units that morph or change shapes.

24. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Is this possible with Uniy2D? Say I have a boned character. When the character first appears, from the top down it looks like an octopus with no tentacles because the tentacles are hidden (folded or slid) underneath the body. But as you watch the octopus the tentacles fold or slide out from underneath the body, giving the appearance of the character morphing. e.g maybe when you first see it it looks like a turtle, then it morphs into an octopus.

25. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@TokyoDan Currently no one reported to us the creation of a top down game made with Uni2D for animating sprites but there is no limitations about this ;)

Yes the description you give seems to be achievable with Uni2D. For this you have two solutions. Use isolated bones, it would mean that you can control the deformation by moving bones that are not connected to each others. Or use regular bones structure that need to roll concentrically the tentacles to fold them inside the body.

@Sander140 Thanks for sharing your wishes of a futur update!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  26. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

27. darkwwc_br

darkwwc_br

Good morning friends and Bento,

I'm having trouble with the camera = /
    It centralizes the scenario, only gets cut, I would like to know how to configure the main camera, as did a scenario with only 3 texture, with land, a house and a tree, and the camera when compiling only shows the house practically and cut.

Can anyone help?

Complete scenario (imagem01.jpg)
    after compiling game (imagem02.jpg)

Attached Files:

28. cg_destro

cg_destro

darkwwc_br looks like you should start learning very basics of unity first :)

29. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

A perfect example of a completely worthless and unhelpful comment that never even needed to exist. If you can't help why even post such a comment?

30. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Is it possible to adjust the physics axis for a top-down game so that 'down' and gravity affects the Z axis instead of the Y axis?

31. cg_destro

cg_destro

TokyoDan it is completely opposite you just simply can't see it :)
    Look at screensshoots darkwwc_br and tell me what do you think? I think that if you don't know very very basics of unity you should at least watch introduction on youtube not asking serious developer about basic "problems" that is not related to asset at all. It is related to low knowledge and when I type low I mean almost non existent :) darkwwc_br shouldn't wasting Bentos time and asking " Hey I am beginner, just installed unity, hold my hand and help me make a game, I want to be game developer and be rich" :)
    And I don't know why darkwwc_br bought this asset when he even don't know how to use camera?

32. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Well. I didn't really read his comments I just read yours and thought it was a bit cold. But I see your point and now I think you are right. But it might have been a little better if you had explained it to him (her?) like you just explained it to me.

Regards,

33. darkwwc_br

darkwwc_br

Good morning TokyoDan,
    Thanks for listening.

So cg_destro, I can not know much about the Unity engine also bad if you have not developed a name game, working in a high level of business or made a reference framework ... then u know as much as I practically nothing ... .

The day that u have done one of those three things, you can talk to and what you think and think, otherwise, lower the ball cause you are a beginner.

34. cg_destro

cg_destro

darkwwc_br I don't know what you wanted to write but doesn't matter what are you mumbling about.
    Fact is that asked most basic question and show yourself as lazy person that don't want take some time and learn basics but instead ask someone to solve your "problems" that google could give answer in no time. I don't know if you are just a kid, lazy person or not sharpest tool in the shed, I don't know and I don't care but if you don't want to make an effort and learn maybe game developing is not for you. You know it is all hard work, you can't say " I'm suck at school, I don't know math but it is ok I will make games because it is easy" :)

EOT form my side, I said what I wanted to say :)

35. VHornet

VHornet

Hi @Bento-Studio : I saw this comment on Unity asset store

Is this still true?

We're working in a team using Git, can I set up a prefab and animate it, then push it so that other people can check out and run correctly in Unity 5.1.1 or 5.0.2

If it can be solved then I will buy it

36. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@ericweiss, the 3 point are true, also the uni2d make your project being too heavy and makes Unity gets into crash error.

Regards,

37. VHornet

VHornet

Thanks Stein, what a pain in the ass, this is great 2d skeletal tool, if the developer improve this, I will buy the tool immeadiately

38. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

yes @ericweiss, thats the problem.. Uni2d have so much potential but no desire to progress.

Uni2d not really have news from developers, the video tutirals are completely outdated(is 2015 and is very easy to make video tutorials).
    It is better to buy each feature separately from the Store and you will get better support and price.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  39. ptm_oo

ptm_oo

I'm using Uni2D for animations, there are many things to improve in 2d skeletal anim, especially in mesh generation and bone influence on mesh, also bone limitation to only rotate isn't so great. Sprite atlasing is something that Unity does anyways, so like I wrote some time ago: it would be great just to convert Uni2d to good skeletal anim tool, nothing more.

Making Papetura with it:

@Bento-Studio, I can make a short list of things that can be improved if you like, Uni2D isn't so much far for being a great tool.

Mr-Stein likes this.
  40. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

@ericweiss, if you want the best skeletal tool into Untiy Editor I recommend you Puppet2d. It is currently the best and with better support.

41. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

But doesn't Uni2D have a lot more functionality than Puppet2D? Like colliders, etc.?

42. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Is better to buy each feature separately from the Store.. you get better support(more ideas of how to do), updates, low price, etc

43. arkhament

arkhament

As you can see they never answer. Far as I know Uni2d it has a bad reputation, support, complety out of date. Even they (Bento Studio) do not use their own tool Uni2d. They implement other tools that do not sell.

Completely stay away from UNI2D if you can.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  44. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your reactions.

Uni2D is born when 2D was not present in Unity. But today even if Unity brings 2D, there is no solution to use it from our side (no API and no access to sprites)

Our support is limited by our thigh team that could not work in a full time perspective on the tool. (we are only two persons) and indeed there is a lake of recent tutorials but we have provided a lot of efforts on giving great and free updates including full projects and a ton of support for a lot of persons.

Today it's very complexe to make the tool evolve because today Unity provide 2D but not enough access for us to use it. So yes we're very interested to discuss with you guys like @ptm_oo proposed.

45. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @Bento-Studio, I think what @ptm_oo has proposed is very good idea, focus only in the skeletal tool and nothing more AND MAKE the video tutorials.
    Every day a new asset is released, with features such as puppet2d BUT uni2d is still time to regain his throne improving the skeletal tool and enabling compatibility with new versions of Unity.

46. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@Mr.Stein @ptm_oo what could be for you the best features for a focused skeletal animation tool based on Unity?

47. VHornet

VHornet

@Bento-Studio I think you can start by making the tool team-workable, mean I can create the animation on my machine, push it to git and my team mate will be able to run the animation correctly on his machine.

48. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@ericweiss What's you're problem more specifically? The case you describe should works in Uni2D. We already have worked on project with SVN without any problem.

49. ptm_oo

ptm_oo

Hello,
    I can only tell the difficulties I got into while making my game, so my opinion about possible improvements is strictly subjective, nevertheless please have a look :). I've looked into Puppet2D, it has all anim features, but Uni2D I think can be used for more purposes, I use it to generate most of the meshes in scene, and it this territory of optimization it might shine :).

Mesh
    Mesh generation model is now quite ok for delicate deformations, small objects and static backgrounds, the only problem is when I need to animate characters, scenery - then Grid Mesh need to be extremely dense for deformation to look good. There is a well known solution to this, making the mesh more consistent and borders more accurate:

New generation model reveals huge potential for optimization - as for the inside mesh, opaque shader can be used. ( Probably Ubisoft engine uses that, I'm not sure), and transparent shader for borders.

Mesh Texture
    I often generate mesh from different texture that I use in shader, It's quite painful operation.
    For mesh generation I think that it would be nice to have a choice what texture from shader to choose, or even other texture from assets (not put later into memory). (code)
    And what is important - generate from gray-scale, not only from alpha, it would be extremely useful for mobile purpose - where shader uses masks instead of alpha channel.

Bones

Bone influence is always a surprise :). In Puppet2d we can paint the weights of the bone on vertices, it's quite helpful. I think that at least the should be influence based on edge distance, it should fix the bone spreading the influence allover the mesh. But still, having an option to set influence individually for each bone.. well, it's a must.

Also for animation purposes - ability to control length of the bone, not only rotation would be great. We are working on 2D plane, so imitating depth by shortening the bone is crucial.
    Then it's just one step to some useful tools like inverse kinematics - that IMO aren't essential right now, but it would be nice to see them in future. :)

Thanks for reading,
    Cheers

50. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Hello,

@ptm_oo Thanks for this very detailed and useful feedback. This really helps us to see how we can optimize and make our tool better.

Thanks again.