Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Unhide mask in Editor but not in Game ? ! ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LethalGenes, Mar 9, 2023.

1. LethalGenes

LethalGenes

Hi
    please view

I want to see up the sprites skirt inside the editor window, but not in the game window. So at the moment I have to set the mask inactive by component in order to inspect what is happening behind the mask. But i thought maybe it could be among the gizmo list and such, in the buttons, to make editor respect mask or not. Couldn't see it.

2. spiney199

spiney199

I have to ask, why aren't you using Unity's built in 2d tools for this?

3. LethalGenes

LethalGenes

Say I may load a List into the inspector containing the frames, which I dragged from the project folder -> The code will require constant reference to the pointer of the directory that holds the image file.
    This means i want animation change -> I have to say List[x] -> point to directory frame as individual frame file. So cpu has to navigate to that memory location every frame change. Which can happen fast, but i wanted to do it traditional way.

Sprite Atlas you may ask?
    With Sprite Atlas I cannot confirm that it does what the above does. Poorly documented, the colors of my textures are changed at runtime, new texture and sprite is created from copy of directory texture during runtime and modified during runtime. It does not get loaded into the atlas.

All in all this way i have 1 file to modify, 1 image to render, and do not have the bureaucracy of not knowing what's actually happening in the program. So if Unity has a built in system to handle atlassing it is no way more effecient, as it is still using reference to directory checking reference to directory to its combined atlas and then returning the coordinate. While a human being can design a much more direct atlas, using a system of sprite sheet design and uniformity. Unity system take a sprite sheet and create one of any uniformity and use the original directory reference to point to a coordinate and display that. Alot of bureaucracy in the way of simple mathematical performance in my case. Rendering 500s of un-atlassed sprites is not an issue, now having 500 animated sprite will not be an issue. This way the peformance of an animated sprite costs the same as any single line of code performing a multiplication.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  4. LethalGenes

LethalGenes

This just iterate how convenient it would be

I know its not too important of a thing. But i just thought it would be tied into the interface as alot of the component gizmos are.

Is it a gizmo? Would you class it as a Gizmo? Should it be a Gizmo?
    I realize now, i can double atlas. I can atlas the imported sheet, and atlas its animation. Like an atlas within an atlas.