Search Unity

Bug Unfortunately, [AppName] has stopped crashed

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by xtdiwd, May 26, 2021.

1. xtdiwd

xtdiwd

I've already read a few conversations with similar titles to this one, but none of them solved the problem... or were even unanswered!

When launching the app, I get the message
    Unfortunately, [AppName] has stopped
    I think the problem is that the test device is old, because if I install it on a newer device it works perfectly.
    In the build settings I set the minimum API to Android 4.4, and my device has 4.4.4, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    What settings do I need to put in order to get my apps running again on older devices?

Please don't tell me I need to switch devices: I want my app to have universal compatibility, and there may be people still using old phones.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

First find out what's crashing. Hook up
    adb logcat
    and see if there are any meaningful complaints in the log when it blows up.

If there are, don't report them here. Go straight to google and see what you can learn.

This is not universally possible. For instance, nothing today will run on an Android 1.0 or an iOS 1.0 device.

The practical way it works is that you select and target a minimum SDK. Normally you would get to choose this based on what is available from Android.

However, to benefit from the incredible power of Unity, Unity has chosen for you, and that choice is always at least as high as the minimum, and often higher. The reason is that it doesn't make sense for Unity to hassle with getting their engine to run on an OS that only ten people in the entire world still use.

There maybe work-arounds you can do in native code integration to enable running on older devices. All of these integrations will be hacks layered on top of Unity and will vary depending on how far back you want to go, and what the issues are.

3. Francesco-FL

Francesco-FL