Search Unity

Unfold3d or Rizom?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by AlanMattano, Jan 15, 2019.

1. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I do not understand well.
    Do Unfold3d change name to Rizom or not?
    I wish to have a good tool for unwrapping in world content and general 3d objects. I use Blender. But I was thinking in trying one of these two.
    One is
    https://www.rizom-lab.com/
    That claim is Unfold3D and has the same logo

and the other is
    http://www.polygonal-design.fr/
    Does that have the same logo of Rizon selling Unfold3D?

I wish to purchase the correct one and not a copy cat or the bad gay.

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yes, Unfold3D was renamed to RizomUV. RizomUV Virtual Spaces would be the one you want to get.

AlanMattano likes this.
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

The UV toolkit in maya is amazing now though, id recommend trying it out first using the unfold3d algorithm as the unfolding algorithm. It works super nice and can do mostly the same stuff without adding an extra cost (if you already have maya that is)

4. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yea, Maya got a UV Workflow upgrade a few years ago, not so much for Max :(
    He is using Blender though and It's UV toolkit isn't as advanced as other programs, although it should be getting some love soon.

I'd also recommend Textools for blender If you haven't used it yet @AlanMattano
    I've only used the Max version but I know the blender version has more features than the one for Max. It's currently only for 2.79 as far as I can tell but 2.8 shouldn't be too far (also it's free). http://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/

AlanMattano likes this.
  5. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Blender 2.79 is the perfect example of the worst interface I can ever imagine.
    Blender 2.8 is probably one of the best 3D tools for game development so far!
    This 30usd UV unwrapping course helps me a lot.

When is necessary RizomUV? I try it but is a bit complex jumping back and forward with so many different software.
    (Just as example Rhino>Blender>RizomUV>Unity>Painter>Octane)

6. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

There is a plugin to auto send models to RizomUV and when you save it will automatically import the model and UVs back to blender. I've only used the Max version so never tried it for blender so I'm not sure what version you need and all that but most likely it's 2.79

https://www.rizom-lab.com/bridges/ Scroll down a bit and you will see the blender version

7. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Yes, it was not working with Blender 2.8 and 2.79 interface is a nightmare.
    Probably when Blender 2.8 will be ready the plugin will be included.
    In that case, Rizom is a good option.

8. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

I use Rhinoceros since Alias split into Maya. And save for a house instead. Still I will try maya one more time.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It’s the same algorithm actually, Maya licensed an older version of Unfold3d/RizomUV

BTW RizomUV is made by the original creator after some legal issues that made him lose the rights to the original name.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    AlanMattano likes this.
  10. arquier

arquier

Be careful of what your write, who said that I lost the rights? Please send me a PM, I would want to know your source.

I chose to use the new name RizomUV because the simultaneous use of the brand UNFOLD3D by me an Polygonal created lot of confusion. More than that, Polygonal was unfairly profiting from the web traffic my company was creating by investing in communication. It was a difficult but necessary decision, not motivated by legal considerations.

Actually, the 14th November 2019, the court of first instance in Marseille clearly ruled that I am the sole owner of the Unfold3D brand and even ordered Polygonal to pay damages. Polygonal may make appeal of the decision -of course- but I am very confident for the next round.

Remi Arquier, Rizom-Lab

AlanMattano likes this.
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I misspoke. I was under that impression after reading some forum posts and press releases a few years back, but obviously I'm wrong.

In any case, I own a perpetual RizomUV license, it's good software, I recommend it.

(as a sidenote -> you should be doing a better job promoting the new additions you do to RizomUV, I am a few versions behind (since support expired about a year ago), and I'm thinking of extending, but it's hard to find on your site what improvements I'm missing from the latest versions)

AlanMattano likes this.
  12. arquier

arquier

I understand, but I had to correct this as it would damage our image.

Thank you for your suggestion. We will put back the full CHANGELOG in some days.

AlanMattano likes this.
  13. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Hi, @arquier Wellcome to this forum! I'm a Unity user making game development and using industrial design content.

Here Unity is a great community. Thanks for the clarification.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019