Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Unexpected server de-allocation

Discussion in 'Game Server Hosting' started by lamorna, Nov 11, 2022.

1. lamorna

lamorna

Hi, I have a test server up on Game Server Hosting & am finding that it consistently de-allocates after a minute or so of running.
    This seems to have begun happening recently, and I can't find an obvious reason why.
    I can test allocate & connect via match making successfully, the usage settings appear appropriate, there are no errors in the logs, and I believe I'm using the query protocols correctly.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ajdaniel_unity

ajdaniel_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello there. I took a look into your setup and it looks like your Server is showing this message in the Events tab: "
    Server had issues (query failure [DOWN]) for 61 seconds (Restarted 0 time(s))". This means that after your server has started, Unity GSH cannot reach your SQP instance, and shuts it down. This means you have two options: check your SDK configuration to ensure SQP is running and responding on the configured port, or disable SQP in the build configuration (set the Query Protocol to "none"). Could you give either or both of those a try and see if that helps?

DeathPro, lamorna and greg-harding like this.
  3. lamorna

lamorna

Thank you, I appreciate the quick response. On your recommendation I tried running without SQP and our server remained allocated without any issues and there were no adverse messages in the events tab, so that's great.

That does raise a couple of further questions:
    1. If running a SQP instance is optional, what are the advantages of doing so?

2. If I wanted to run one, which I was trying to do, what might I be doing wrong, or missing?
      This is what I have been doing so far:
    • selecting SQP in the build configuration in the dashboard
    • including
      -queryport $$query_port$$
      in the launch parameters
    • calling
      StartServerQueryHandlerAsync 
      with default parameters
    • setting the
      Port 
      property on the server query handler with
      ServerConfig.QueryPort
    • calling
      UpdateServerCheck 
      on the server query handler on a regular tick, every 1000ms (am I meant to use that as a heart beat of some sort, or is that just for pushing value changes?)

Appreciate your advice

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    larah3d and DeathPro like this.
  4. gehacktaffe

gehacktaffe

I had a similar issue. My server crashed after a minute or so with an error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Caught fatal signal - signo:11 code:0 errno:0 addr:(nil)
    It turns out the issue is related to not setting SQP properly.
    My game does not support SQP, so I set the Query type to None in the Build configuration and everything works fine.

ajdaniel_unity and lamorna like this.
  5. DeathPro

DeathPro

Do you have any "Best Practice" advice for using SQP? Did you find any solution?

6. DevPitaya

DevPitaya

Hi, i have problem with Game Server Hosting (Multiplay). I work fine for 1 week, but today I can't connect to the server, I got the ticket from matchmaker. I tried sample BR200 and still get the same error.
    I guess it's system maintenance today?

7. DeathPro

DeathPro

I have the same problem. Yesterday the unity matchmaking was working. I guess something happened with this maintenance.

DevPitaya likes this.