Search Unity

"Unexpected Node Type." error spamming console after unity upgrade

Discussion in 'Burst' started by jnhackleman_unity, Nov 2, 2021.

1. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

Hey all,
    I just upgraded our project from 2021.1.2f1 to 2021.2.0f1 and after re-compile (and startup) the log is spammed with the following 3 red errors (spammed multiple times):

Unexpected node type.
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:TickCompilationPipeline (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions,UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup,UnityEditor.BuildTarget,int,string[])
    ----
    Unexpected node type.
    ----
    Unexpected node type.
    UnityEditor.Compilation.CompilationPipeline:GetAssemblies (UnityEditor.Compilation.AssembliesType)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstReflection:.cctor () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.6.0/Runtime/Editor/BurstReflection.cs:618)
    Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstLoader:.cctor () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.6.0/Runtime/Editor/BurstLoader.cs:169)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:ProcessInitializeOnLoadAttributes (System.Type[])

----

Has anyone seen this, and can anyone recommend some steps?

2. VRGroupRWTH

VRGroupRWTH

Hi, we do have the same issue, any info on how to fix it or what throws it would be awesome.

3. gewl

gewl

I'm getting this error too—it's thrown 16x whenever I load my scene or exit playmode. I'm also having trouble getting some changes to material values to persist—e.g. I'll turn 'Emission' on on a material, it'll look right, then when I load scene/exit playmode the Emission flag will have reverted. Not sure if it's related to the node thing, but the property reversion seems to be happening at the same time as the node errors.

4. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

Can any of you post the Burst version you are using please?

5. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

6. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

Could someone try updating Burst to 1.6.1 and try again?

If that fails, can someone submit a repro project for this for us?

7. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

I tried an update to 1.6.1 and it did not work.
    I see there was a unity upgrade, I will try that.

My project is 40gb, so I don't want to try and submit it cause it will fail.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same here 1.6.1. Error is exactly 32 times.

9. sheredom

sheredom

Unity Technologies

10. Carpet_Head

Carpet_Head

I got this error but it was due to a poorly serialised JSON file in my assets folder (an asmdef) - reserialising the file fixed it

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

So the fix would be to re-gen all asmdefs ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2021
  12. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

Interested to know if this would be a solution.
    How would someone go about re-genning all asmdefs?

13. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

14. davidgilbert

davidgilbert

I had the same issue, but fixed it by updating a package (https://github.com/prefrontalcortex/UnityGLTF) that somehow got broken in the upgrade process. I'm not sure if a new version of the repository fixed the issue, or if it was just some broken serialization references.

15. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

I'm using the same package, but sadly reinstalling it did not fix the error for me. I'm not even using Burst!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  16. andylewisart

andylewisart

Facing the same error upgrading from 2020.3.19f1 to 2021.2.2f1. None of the above solutions have worked for me yet.

EDIT: I'm able to get around the issue by selecting the new 'Clean Build' dropdown option in Build Settings.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  17. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

So I've narrowed this down to an add on product: Visual Design Cafe
    Removing that from the project removed the errors. I have also submitted a bug report with a link to the project, but I have not yet received an email confirmation, so I can't really drop the Id here.

Claytonious and Wolfos like this.
  18. Claytonious

Claytonious

19. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

We submitted a ticket as well to Visual Design Cafe. It took a few days, but we got the following reply:
    TLDR: the unity version is not yet supported, he's working on it.

Claytonious likes this.
  20. kmowers

kmowers

Had the same "unexpected node type" error after upgrading to Unity 2021.2 from 2021.1. The culprit was a DLL for cursor control. I fixed it by disabling the Linux x64 option in Platform settings on that dll, playing a scene, and then reenabling that option. Probably really specific but hope this helps someone out there!

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can somebody report a bug with a project that reproduces this?

22. jnhackleman_unity

jnhackleman_unity

I tried before and had no success, looks like it worked this time:
    Case 1386318

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2021
  23. AndrewSkow

AndrewSkow

Unity Technologies

Hello, thank you for the bug report. I am investigating the "Unexpected Node Type" and have some initial information that may be helpful:

The two projects "Visual Design Cafe" and older UnityGLTF project have unexpected contents in some .dll.meta files.

In particular:

1) in some "Visual Design Cafe" meta files, the problematic lines read

platformData:
    userData:

For an empty map the expected YAML format is "platformData: {}".

Note: adding {} will avoid the YAML errors, but the dll will not necessarily load properly. So it is still necessary to set valid settings, e.g. in the Import Settings using the Inspector for each plugin dlls. For example these settings should permit the dll to load, but these may not be the correct settings for "Visual Design Cafe" dlls.

Code (CSharp):
    2.   platformData:
    3.   - first:
    4.       Any:
    5.     second:
    6.       enabled: 1
    7.       settings: {}
    2) From the bug reports related to UnityGLTF we have observed there are extra lines in "Assets\Plugins\GLTFSerialization.dll.meta"

Code (CSharp):
    2. platformData:
    3.                                     <<<< Shouldn't be blank
    4.  - first:
    5.     Any:
    6.   second:
    7.     enabled: 1
    8.                                     <<<<< Shouldn't be blank
    9.   - first:
    10. ...etc...
    New versions of the packages with correct .meta files would make the problem go away.

The current error message is of course not informative enough for pinpointing the source of the problem. We are looking into improving that error handling in the context of https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...type-error-appear-when-reimporting-assemblies. But hopefully in the meantime this information gives an idea of a place to look for people hitting that error.

BTW There was an JsonUtility bug that reported the same message. That has been fixed and backported so it should not be appearing in that context anymore:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ng-jsonutility-dot-fromjsonoverwrite-function

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    SemiRukiya likes this.
  24. Andefob

Andefob

Did anyone here manage to get NatureRenderer work with 2021.2?

I got those node errors, too, but that was not all. When I tried to add NatureRenderer to a terrain (at runtime, either by script or manually in inspector), it failed because of an assertion failure related to materials. I tried to completely remove and reinstall NatureRenderer but it didn't help. Then I tried adding {} to the end of all dll.meta lines with invalid platformData lines but after that, there was a compilation error because NatureRenderer was not found at all in some cs file - then I rage quitted and decided to stop wasting more time on this and go back to the old Unity version (and possibly retry again when a new NR version comes...)

25. Visual-Design-Cafe

Visual-Design-Cafe

Hi all, we looked into this error and managed to fix it for our plugins. The following versions contain the fix:
    • Nature Renderer 1.5.2 - You can go to Help > Nature Renderer > Check for Updates to download the update, or download it from the Asset Store.
    • Nature Shaders 1.0.9 - You can go to Help > Nature Shaders > Check for Updates to download the update, or download it from the Asset Store
    • Package Manager 1.4.2 - You can open Window > Package Manager (Visual Design Cafe) to download the latest version.
    • Realistic Meadow - Update will be uploaded to the Asset Store in a few days. You can already update the Package Manager and Nature Shaders to fix the error as described above.
    • Open World Nature Kit - Update will be uploaded to the Asset Store in a few days. You can already update the Package Manager and Nature Shaders as described above.
    The problem was indeed caused by a corrupt meta file for some of our plugins. The platform-specific import settings got stripped from the meta files of the plugins during our build process. We have fixed our build process so the meta files get exported correctly.

Thank you @andrew_skowronski for looking into this.

Anoa, AndrewSkow, sniffle63 and 4 others like this.
  26. AndrewSkow

AndrewSkow

Unity Technologies

sheredom likes this.
  27. DryerSheets

DryerSheets

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class ExampleBehaviourScript : MonoBehaviour
    {
    void Update()
    {
    if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.R))
    {
    GetComponent<Renderer> ().material.color = Color.red;
    }
    if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.G))
    {
    GetComponent<Renderer>().material.color = Color.green;
    }
    if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.B))
    {
    GetComponent<Renderer>().material.color = Color.blue;
    }
    }
    }
    I was using this for the 2019 tutorial and the console just says unexpected node type. Help?