Search Unity

Uneven Baked GI

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Hormic, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Hormic

Hormic

Hello,

I have a problem with the lightbaking, it seems unpredictable for me in some cases.
    I use Real Time lightning and baked global illumination with one directional light (sun) for the scene with unity 2018.2.18f1

Here i have a shelf in scene view:
    shelf_Scene.jpg
    and here the shelf in game:
    shelf_Game.jpg

as you can see it has randomly lit probs on it and i don't know why and how i can solve that.
    They are all with the same settings, i have tried readjusting reflection probes and more light probes.
    Most things are looking good, and even the self looked better earlier, but now i have this issue and no idea what is the cause.
    Maybe the static batching?
    But i have turned it off and on also and no difference, lightbaking always takes at least 30 minutes so its also exhausting to test.
    Big Thanks for hints!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

Hi

I made a talk that might explain the basics for you. If you just have started, there is a lot of stuff you need to grasp (just the fact that you are using both realtime and bakad GI will cause some issues).

Please have a look and see if it answers your questions. Also, this talk is about the details of the new lightmapper (Progressive). https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024840/Make-It-Shiny-Unity-s (only the first 20 min).

It's an hour of your time and hopefully it will solve it for you :) Cheers!

Hormic likes this.
  3. Hormic

Hormic

Thank you Jennifer i will watch your talk, for sure there are some interesting points i'm not aware of right now.
    But the problem is frustrating, cause after testing for a complete day, i would say it is a bug in unity.
    It is very often the case that after new lightbaking some strange things have changed in the scene.
    I would prefer a more stable unityversion and not this upgrade madness where you can't rely on some behavior and have to deal with other issues every new version.
    Maybe it's not a bad idea to check out unreal, at least for lightning it seems the more coherent choice.

4. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

Please have a look at the basics first. Just that fact that you are both using probes, realtime and baked GI for that indoor scene makes little sense to me. If you have a clear repo, please file a bug.
    I can't force you to stick with us, but theres always pros and cons with all engines.

Hormic likes this.
  5. Hormic

Hormic

Thanks for your answer, the main purpose for my indoor scene is visualising a 24 hours day - night cycle with the light exposure and transitions through windows and open doors from outside and of course a realistic ambient lightning through all this changes. What kind of light setting would you suggest in this situation?

6. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

Have a go at realtime GI only is what I would suggest. But I'm not a lighting artist, I just make the software :D

Hormic likes this.
  7. Hormic

Hormic

ohh, hopefully this two professions are well united with you! thank you for that suggestion, i will try it. :)
    The scene looks actually very nice already, although it's very performance hungry! The problem i described above are not directly related to this settings, cause i changed everything and this problem persists. Only solution for me was to go back to an earlier save state.