Search Unity

UNet Queries

Discussion in 'UNet' started by kashif789us, May 23, 2017.

1. kashif789us

kashif789us

Hello everyone. I recently started working on UNet basically on a MMO game. My setup is that I am hosting my own dedicated server by building a linux headless build and uploading and running it on the server. All the clients are connected to it and this server keeps on running 24/7. Following are my questions:

1. Upto my understanding I do not have to pay anything to UNet as I am not using their match making and am hosting my own server. Is this correct?

2. There is no limit of number of concurrent users. Limit depends upon how powerful the dedicated server is. Correct?

3. In NetworkManager, under advanced configuration, I have set maximum connections to 1000. This means it can handle 1000 concurrent users?

4. UNet API is used for Client/Server calls and no Unity Server is used. Correct?
    Thank you.

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

All statements are correct. Unet is a NetworkLibrary. You are thinking of the Unity Mulitplayer Services wich offers relay servers and Matchmaking. Those cost. But if you just call something like NetworkManager.singleton.StartServer() they are not used.
    The only thing I am slightly sceptical about is number 3. I believe it's correct but I am unsure. But you could try it by setting it to 5 and try 5 clients or something like that.

Whippets and kashif789us like this.
  3. kashif789us

kashif789us

Okay thank you

4. Whippets

Whippets

You want to strip things back. I use NetworkServerSimple class and write my own delegate handlers for message types, rather than all the game oriented stuff built in to the other classes.

Don't forget to take NPCs and MOBs into account when working out your max CCU. The server will have to broadcast their position, actions, etc to all clients within range, as well as the data for PCs. For a single server, possibly 200-300 CCU might be the limit, and that's if you have no bottlenecks on CPU or connection throughput. This isn't just a uNet limit, but would be the same for any networking framework.

TwoTen likes this.