Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Networking UNET? Networking? Legacy?

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by softrare, Apr 24, 2015.

1. softrare

softrare

Hi!

I came to ask about the somewhat mixed messages we are receiving about some aspects of the new networking layer.

Will it be named UNET? Will it be just Networking? Will there be one official name and an alias?
    Just asking because i.e. in this thread it is Networking which seemed to be becoming the official name: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-1-beta-information-preview.317493/
    But on the other hand in the release notes of the latest beta it is UNET again:

"
    Features
    • UNET: Peer discovery in local network.
    • Windows Store Apps/Windows Phone: Added support for UNET.
    "

And what about the legacy system? In the latest beta builds its still just present, was there a change of heart to leave it in or will it be removed in the official release like announced? If so, will there also be a beta build without the legacy system shortly?

Thanks in advance!

2. Erik-Juhl

Erik-Juhl

Unity Technologies

UNet is our internal name, but it keeps being used externally as well. It came from the other name being used (Unity Networking), so you see that as well. I think the final official form of this thing will be Unity Multiplayer. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding RakNet, we do intend to remove it but not in the 5.1 release. We want to give you more time to know it is coming so it wont be removed until a following release. More information around this will be coming soon.

3. softrare

softrare

Thanks!

4. Whippets

Whippets

Unity may be onto a loser trying to change it's name to Unity Multiplayer. Imagine trying to search that in google. At least uNet is original and works the same as uGUI

De-Panther and Dynamoid-Megan like this.
  5. iivo_k

iivo_k

Yeah, same as Unity UI. I'd rather they had some unique names.

6. hopeful

hopeful

Or if the goal is to highlight the multiplayer aspect, officially call it uNet Multiplayer. That's still searchable by "uNet."

De-Panther and Dynamoid-Megan like this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Lets hope it isn't a trend in case someone internally names the next feature thong or something.

8. WisockiJr

WisockiJr

How does it works?
    • UNET: Peer discovery in local network.

risokncn likes this.
  9. De-Panther

De-Panther

I'm with uNet/UNET/uNET, it's a good name