Search Unity

Unet Multiplayer on Steam

Discussion in 'UNet' started by gamezuv, Feb 15, 2017.

1. gamezuv

gamezuv

Hi, I have a unet multipalyer game greenlit on steam. I am not a hardcore programmer and more artist. I am wondering if steam and unet will work together? Or will I have to hire someone to write the entire networking code for steam? Can you please help ? I dont need the code I just need understanding the logic how steam api works and will I be able use unet or photon with steamworks ?

2. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

I am wondering if steam and unet will work together?
    Yes, but it doesn't do anything specific for Steam (at the moment...) Custom code is currently required to use Steam-specific features.

3. Jos-Yule

Jos-Yule

You will want to use the Steamworks.NET library to integrate with the Steam API. It isn't as easy as Unet, so take some time to really read all the documentation! And all the code examples. Good luck!

4. alexhapki

alexhapki

It is not that complicated to use Steamworks multiplayer, servers, lobby, etc. I confess I was a bit scary at the beginning assuming it was going to be real complex, but it is not that bad. I have just started creating an online multiplayer version of my game, using Steamworks, and I am getting happier and happier to use it. It is easier to create a lobby, join, etc and once there, it is easy to send info across the people on the lobby.

If you want to examples and codes, please see this thread I am making with my findings on the unity forum. I also posted some videos with some code screenshoots to show how I do it. No a tutorial, just some info for gamedev to get feedback.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/dun...and-first-person-shooter-multiplayer.1003249/

So far is working, movement and actions (attack, jump, etc) for players. I am now scripting players attack versus enemies, it seems to be working well, I got two computers and my wife helps me with the testing. We will see how it goes!!
    A quick screen capture of the lobby, connecting us, I have just removed our steam names, it does get the info across Steam networking.
    I guess once I finish it with it, assuming it works well, I could bring this way to other system; google play, Amazon, Xbox, etc. just changing the tool for sending / retrieving info (now Steam), the rest of the programming could stay the same. Something like if (Steam - > call method x) (Xbox call method y), while message send and received could be the same.
    CaptureLobbyMod.PNG