Search Unity

UNET is deprecated (doesn't compile) - is there a Unity replacement?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by jerotas, May 20, 2019.

1. jerotas

jerotas

Our Multiplayer version of Master Audio doesn't compile on the Unity 2019.2 - duh, because there's no more UNET, which is what it uses.

All we use from UNET is Networkidentity, NetworkBehaviour and [Command].

My questions is:

1) Is there a replacement for this yet?
    2) If so, what is it?

Or do people just switch over to "Mirror" which is an open source version of UNET that's still being maintained?

I would prefer to fix our MAM plugin so it at least compiles on first install for Unity 2019, but I may need to make the multiplayer portion a separate package.

No, I don't have time to read through the many pages of the deprecation thread unfortunately.

Thanks!
    -Brian

2. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

My guess is people have moved to whatever suits their projects best. I tried a few and settled on SmartFox Server. I'd imagine Photon, Bolt, Mirror, ENet, and all the others have gained new followers. Certainly wouldn't trust another half-assed attempt by Unity.

3. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks for the response LukeDawn.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unet HLAPI was moved out of the editor to a package. Not sure if you are aware of that. Also not sure if it has been made compatible with 2019.2 or requires any work to do so.

I'd recommend moving your project to an alternative networking API though. Mirror (which disclaimer, I have never tried) would seem the most obvious choice since it likely requires almost no code changes unless you were using NetworkServerSimple (removed from Mirror) or are using the Unity Multiplayer service (not compatible AFAIK).

5. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, we already support Mirror and Photon free and PUN. I will see if I can make probably Mirror the default.

Thanks!

Joe-Censored likes this.