Search Unity

UNET features, pricing and indies

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Siwone, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Siwone

Siwone

So I've been looking at the updated UNET stuff and I'm confused. On the new preview page it says "All Unity Multiplayer Services will be available for purchase by both Unity Pro and Personal Edition users in the near future!" But for now it's available for free for up to 100 CCU. However I cannot find any pricing and what services does this include.

Does this new UNET feature allow me to make a game with player hosted games without having to use or pay for any of the Unity's services? Can I host a master server by myself like I could've with the old RakNet? If I now start developing my game using these new features will I be screwed over by Unity when they come out with the pricing (that I most likely can't afford) or do the prices only concern the cloud and hosting services provided by Unity?

I'm working with a small team on a top-down shooter and we're planning to convert our local coop to a networked one. I'm now faced with the decision of using the old RakNet or the new UNET.

bluescr and erebel55 like this.
  2. Leoo

Leoo

You should really try to read and find as much information that you could find before making questions like this, You should see UNET as the new Unity Networking Api, nothing else. A new way to do networking, and No, you cant think about using the old RakNet as it is already deprecated tech.

You are able to do the same Client-Host Net systems as you did in Raknet for free (at Unity 5.1), that preview page you found talks about OTHER "Unity Multiplayer Services"... (MasterServers, hosting... blabla..).

3. Siwone

Siwone

Thanks, this is the part I wasn't certain about. I couldn't find any clear wording on what it concerned and what was going to be part of the Unity base.