Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

uNet Depreciation Documentation Removal

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by Phedg1, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Phedg1

Phedg1

I recently decided to pick up an old project of mine. The project always had problems because there were no nested prefabs back then. After a lot of fiddling I was able to get Additive Scene loading synced in a networked game. It was painful and there was next to no documentation on how to do it, it was far from perfect. Whilst the LLAPI in uNet worked well, the HLAPI had bugs that I did not know how to address. With the recent release of 2018.3 and nested prefabs, I decided to dust off my old game and get it working under the new system. Only now, opening the project, do I realize that uNet was recently depreciated. That's fine, I thought, I'll upgrade to the new system. It will be big pain, seeing as I barely got any use out of all the work I put into the old system, but I'll give it a go.

Lo and behold I can't seem to find any fleshed out documentation or examples for this new system. Very little seems to be known or Google'able at all. I don't even know where to start. So, I decided, I'll just finish the game, which is mostly finished, in the old, uNet system. Sadly I've found that the documentation for this system is being remove. I could not remember the functions and optional variables required to start a server or a client in uNet, but I recalled it was part of the NetworkManager component. I bring up the pages for this component and you can't find the words "server", "host", "client", "listen" or "start" anywhere. They've made the documentation non-functional. In my Googling I also came across other sections of the documentation with the same issues. Video tutorials have all been removed from their website. Sure, they don't want anyone to start a new project with the old system but there IS NO NEW SYSTEM currently implemented that people can choose to use instead. uNet is supposed to be supported through to 2018.4 and 2020. Why kill all the scripting api for it before then? I don't need video explaining the principles behind it, I just need to be able to look up the function names and parameters.

Unity 2018.3 Scripting API - NetworkManager: https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.3/Documentation/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkManager.html

Unity 2017.4 Scripting API - https://docs.unity3d.com/2017.4/Documentation/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkManager.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

I would suggest moving to enet, then you're not waiting for things to be deprecated or re-released. It also performs very well.

3. Kylotan

Kylotan

Phedg1, the situation is that they have deprecated the old system before the new one is even finished. That's why you can't find documentation for it.

The new system only really handles very low level data transfer, with virtually no game semantics at all. You cannot port an old UNet game to it directly without rewriting all the high level stuff - SyncVars, RPCs/Commands, NetworkTransform., etc - you have to reimplement this.

The best documentation I can find for it is here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ty.transport/Documentation/TableOfContents.md

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If your game is almost finished, I'd give Mirror a try, which is a community port of Unet with actual bug fixes, and will continue working even after Unet's removal from the engine.