Search Unity

UNET [BUG FIX] issue with not binding ip address on server results in faild connection attempts

Discussion in 'UNet' started by LeopardX, Feb 20, 2016.

1. LeopardX

LeopardX

If found that if you allow the game server to start and listen on all network adaptors, specially if run on VPS servers, it wont accept client connections, until you specifically bind to the servers ip address on the server, then it resolves the problem.

You can bind to an ip address like this:
    NetworkManager.singleton.serverBindAddress = PublicIPAddress;
    NetworkManager.singleton.serverBindToIP = true;

You need to do this before your StartServer function.

PS..
    Users have told me they experiance really quick almost instant connections now that I bind the address, so maybe binding is something you would like to do regardless.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. asperatology

asperatology

Don't report here. Instead, make a small, compact, testable, reproducible Unity project, and submit a bug report through the editor, and upload that project along with the report.

3. LeopardX

LeopardX

I havent got the time to create projects to demonstrate the bugs in unity, i got better things to do with my time, admins scout these forums anyway, if there botherd about this bug they will make note of it..

Also ive invested enough time finding the bug and a fix for this, and thats why im posting here to give a temp fix for those who need it.

4. asperatology

asperatology

Then the admins will just ignore your "report" and dismiss it. Can't fault them if you didn't report through proper protocols starting a few years back.

5. LeopardX

LeopardX

Look i spend a great deal of my time and effort with unity bugs, too much of my time is spent tracking them down, the cause and possible fix, im do what unity gets paid to do, i dont get paid to find there bugs, there for i am wasting half my time doing there job, i would probably report this bug "IF", there was no workaround, as this would be detramental to my own project, but this bug is not that case.. if an admin cant be arsed to pass on bugs in there own software and expect people like me to put in the time and effort to show them the bug, theres something wrong there.. as far as im concern ive done my job.. i will not be going to any more of my efforts to report this.

IgorAherne likes this.
  6. asperatology

asperatology

Don't worry, your efforts will not be in vain. Others will be able to find your solution here in this forum just by searching. It's just that the staffs will rarely notice your report and file a bug for it, because most of them will be looking at their primary bug tracker where most bug reports are send towards, and not on this forum for bug reports.

7. LeopardX

LeopardX

Thats fine, unity is not my product, im not the one making money out of it.. my job here though even if people find this will save those people a lot of time and effort, it took me 3 days to find the cause of this and fix.. so like i say ive done my job