Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Undue charges in the Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sp2013, Jul 11, 2014.

1. sp2013

sp2013

Hi everyone, my name is Rodrigo,

On Thursday, July 10th of 2014, I logged at Unity Asset Store to buy the Store Kit Plugin from Prime31, costing US$70.00
    When I pressed the 'buy' button, then I filled the pop up window with my credit card information, i checked the 'Agree' box and pressed the 'Purchase" button.
    After that appeared a message in red color: 'The transaction was rejected: Address verification error.' (Please see Image 1 attached).
    As I couldn't finish the transaction, I tried many times, around 32 times.
    In the last time appeared another message: 'The transaction was rejected: the card was declined.' (Please see Image 2 attached).
    Then I tried to buy paying with my PayPlay account, and it was declined too.
    Right now, I just received a text message from my Bank, Bank of America, communicating i was charged 32 times!
    I really want an explanation from you and a reparation of this huge unity asset store error!
    And at the end of the day, I still didn't got my Plugin! Unbelievable!
    Please, i need to know how cancel all purchases, leaving only one purchase of this Store Kit Plugin from Prime31, costing US$70.00
    I just need ONE, and I just will pay US$70.00

Anyone can help me?

TKS

Image 1 2014-07-10 às 10.47.19.png

Image 2 2014-07-10 às 16.58.11.png

2. Yukichu

Yukichu

Usually banks will see the repeated charge and fix it. If not, call them. Unity I suspect will be more than happy to comply with fixing it as well.

Since the Asset store threads get hit a lot, and fast, your topic may scroll right off. I'd probably make a new topic or PM someone to move this topic to a new forum, or just PM someone to look at this thread.

3. Archania

Archania

Posting this will probably not get you the help you need. Have you emailed the asset store or pm caitlyn about your issue?
    That is you first thing to do instead of posting the issue on the forums trying to get help.
    Call your bank first too if you didn't already!
    Good luck.

4. chelnok

chelnok

I would probably explode, if that happened to me :) My double charge was fixed in couple of days, after sending an email (one you find somewhere form asset store). Didnt need to contact to bank in my case.

Hope you get your plugin(s) soon! If you wont get your money back, you can start to sell assets :p

5. sp2013

sp2013

Hi everyone,

Yes i did contact my bank, I did send a email to Asset Store support and also start a conversation with Caitlyn.

Thanks for your replies.

Good luck for you all.

6. imtrobin

imtrobin

Happened to me before. Was charged twice, also similar issue due to dropping when buying. Unity Assetstore did not respond timely, and paypal refuse to refund even after sending in proof. So I called bank to do chargeback and stopped using Paypal since.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

This is very serious, i had some rejections for no apparent reason before, but never looked if i was charged more than once !!!

8. chelnok

chelnok

@nasos_333 yes, indeed. I got paranoid when i was double charged, and i did a quick look for last 180 days. My eye didnt catch any other double charge.

Similar thing have happened to me at App Store. It was in game purchase. There were many timeouts while waiting for the process to success. None of them succeed, but after awhile i got my gold. However, only one purchase was charged.

I believe there is some sort of check for double charge in App Store. No idea how the Asset Store is built, but such a check doesn't sound too complicated to implement. Then again, these things are kind of rare, and it could be overkill..

9. movra

movra

AFAIK there's a plausible scenario where a client needs to buy multiple licences with the same account. That would at least rule out a double charge check for assets that support multiple license.

On the other hand I don't think there can be such a thing as overkill when money is involved.

At first I thought it's pretty silly to attempt a purchase 32 times.

Then I realized that the error messages are incorrect and not informative.

They are incorrect because eventually the purchases came through. The real cause is likely a time-out from the verification service. Better check the error handling.

They are not informative because they tell what clients should or should not do. Of course they'll keep trying until they hit success or boredom.

Would be better to have something like "Purchase has not yet completed because our payment service cannot verify your address at this time. However, your purchase may come through in the next 5 minutes. Please await the confirmation of your payment. Contact us for more information."

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  10. chelnok

chelnok

Perhaps double charge check could be done simply like:

if (verificationPending) ShowErrorMsg();
    Shop();

That is actually what you talked about better error handling :)

11. movra

movra

Yeah, something like that. Unity Asset Store Team, get on it!

12. imtrobin

imtrobin

That time when I was doubly chaged, it was not yet possible to buy multiple licenses.

13. Tom_Withers

Tom_Withers

Something very similar has just happened to me. I tried to buy some speedtree assets totalling $117 on my credit card. I made 3 attempts, I was told declined each time. Switched to a debit card, which was accepted, but upon closing the browser popup and returning to the asset store, I got that 'transaction rejected: address verification error' message.

I checked with my bank. I've been charged $117 four times, or $468, for an asset I haven't received.

This should not be possible.

My bank can't or won't do anything about it because as far as they are concerned, these transactions were all approved, so this is an issue between my self and the vendor.

I've PMed Caitlyn, emailed support@unity.com and assetstore@unity.com, and filled out the contact form on the Unity website. Would really prefer resolve this by speaking with someone over the phone, but will instead have to wait 1-2 days until someone gets back to me. $468 poorer in the meantime.

Rodrigo, how did this get resolved for you?

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

I wish there was a feature to show the exact bought things, like a list, prices and everything.

Is there any plan for such a detailed report for customers ?