Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Undocumented Mesh compression change when importing models?

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by juanka12, Jun 4, 2018.

1. juanka12

juanka12

I was working with the 2017.2 version and some of my fbx were imported with Low or Medium compression, which only quantize vertex position to respectively 8, 16 bits according to the docs:

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/ModelImporterMeshCompression.html

Everything fine.

Then, I updated to the 2018.1 and all my meshes have become scribbles unless I turn compression to Off.

It seems that compression tries to do a more complex compression than just quantize and fails to achieve it, but I don't find any news about any change.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Are your meshes really small?

3. juanka12

juanka12

The fbx is 26MB, 500.000 triangles, rather big

The mesh is a piece of machinery with little wires and big metal beams. It should be 60x30 meters more or less... I don't have any problems with the lightning nor anything. Just the compression is behaving different in 2018.

4. juanka12

juanka12

For some reason I thought that the compression option was totally changed from my version, sorry. I will properly report it as a bug the next time it occurs.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I mean scale, not count. Because it matters due to threshold, floating point limitations and so on... Although I would doubt it would cause such a problem. Glad there has been a resolution :)