Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Resolved (UNDOCUMENTED) Maximum Particle Capacity

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by ATYL, Dec 16, 2021.

1. ATYL

ATYL

Im pushing the VFX graph pretty hard. Specifically Im trying to show a point cloud with 87,891,214 Positions and Colors

SetColorFromMap, SetPositionFromMap work great and Im setting the positions sequentially. But the point cloud just stops after a certain point ~60m points in. It just cuts off hard stop

I set the capacity to 87,891,214 and then to 100,000,000 and then when the previous didnt work

I tried sampling based on index and using an offset with fewer points so that I could see the 'end' of the data. It worked, and I can see the part that is normally cut off, so the data is there.

It appears that there is a hidden maximum to the capacity in initialize particle that is undocumented and has no other results on google. Can anyone confirm or deny?

2. Oxeren

Oxeren

If capacity caps at 67m, I would guess that it is limited by 8k x 8k buffer, but I don't know much about the internals of VFX graph, so it is just a guess.

3. ATYL

ATYL

Thank you for the guess, I bet you're right

Since VFX graph has no documentation on the minute details, this is a good thread to keep bumped for anyone that wants to use this system for enormous particle systems