Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Undocumented features - Variables in the unit header

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by ChaosCraft, Aug 8, 2022.

1. ChaosCraft

ChaosCraft

I hope to collect up some of the features of the system that appear undocumented.
    I'll post any I find here under the "Undocumented features" tag.

If anyone can point to doco for them that's even better.

Today's offering is the UnitHeaderInspectable Attribute

This lets you add a field that you can configure in the header of the unit, but that is not a port. Basically a config value. I've not experimented with if it needs to be serializable, nor with whether the header can be made to minimize if there are too many fields.

for example,
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     [UnitHeaderInspectable("min")]
    2.     public int minCount = 1;
    3.     [UnitHeaderInspectable("max")]
    4.     public int maxCount = 1;
    creates...
    UnitHeaderInspectable.png

Duplicate names are allowed (though that would be confusing), order appears to be order of declaration. The header does not offer any way to minimize by default.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.
    If anyone knows a way to move these into the Graph Inspector, that'd be awesome (less crowding of the graph), and I'd love to get access to the source code if I could so I can explore more of these sort of attributes etc.

Found any yourself? Please share them. I'm loving visual scripting, but the doco side of it is very thin for something so powerful.

titoasty likes this.
  2. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

If you want some variables that are not ports, you can just make a variable [Inspectable]. Think that might work on UnitHeaderInspectable but not sure. The best document is the code, also the bolt addons code which extends it (hence how to extend/customise). Just make packages show in your solution, and all the code is there.

3. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

You can also use the UnitHeaderInspectable to show information (I used it with a stopwatch to show frame times). There lots of funky things you can do, it's very customisable in my opinion, but that's a learning curve. Here's an example of funky, but I never got round to finishing. Portal Node (newline node):

4. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

UnitHeaderInspectable as an average ticks output: upload_2022-8-8_8-38-47.png