Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Undocumented EditorGUI.Popup Feature

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Sarah-Mainwaring, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Sarah-Mainwaring

Sarah-Mainwaring

Hi Unity,

I was playing around in PropertyDrawers today and found an undocumented feature of EditorGUI.Popup. When you format your displayedOptions array elements with "/" characters in the strings the popup will create sub-menus collecting options that shared the same roots.

So for instance the code below will generate the popup menus in the linked image.

Code (CSharp):
    1. int selectedIndex = EditorGUI.Popup(
    2.       position,
    3.       label.text,
    4.       0,
    5.       new string[4] { "Split1/Value1", "Split1/Value2", "Split2/Value1", "Split2/Value2" });

I know that this is known to a few others but I just happened to stumble across this feature as I was unaware it was even possible. I would have loved to have known about it on an earlier project this year. I'd like to put in a request to have this feature added to the documentation of EditorGUI.Popup so that others can benefit from it.

Sarah

2. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for pointing that out. I've made a note to have this added to the docs. By the way this also works for the layers and tags menu items!

penfold.gif

S_Darkwell likes this.
  3. Sarah-Mainwaring

Sarah-Mainwaring

Thanks for getting back so quickly and for that excellent animation.