Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Undo error when working with 9 terrain textures

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jessee03, Dec 27, 2014.

1. jessee03

jessee03

I'm getting the following error whenever I try painting on my terrain with 9 textures present in the paint texture editor. Not sure if this is as intended? I never get this error any other time when working with terrains. Then if I try painting with the 9th texture and then use undo it leaves a black texture in the textures place.

Code (csharp):
    2. Failed to create Object Undo, because the action is too large. Clearing undo buffer
    3. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

MaximilianPs likes this.
  2. jessee03

jessee03

I am still getting this error and now its happening randomly on one of my terrains that only has 7 textures. Very frustrating... Could this be a memory issue ?

3. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Currently the undo integration with terrain has issues and in order to avoid enormous memory usage when working with terrain the undo system has a memory usage limit. This limit is quickly reached when working with terrain.

We are already aware of this issue, but currently we don't have any one assigned to work on the issue.

Unfortunately there is no work around for you.

4. jessee03

jessee03

Thank you for your answer. Hopefully it will be fixed in the future. I guess I will have to make due for the meantime.

5. paverson

paverson

I'm also having this problem, and not only does it not undo, but replaces textures i've worked on with other ones, which makes me lose hours of work. has there been any progress on this, or jessee03, have you found any workarounds?

6. cowtrix

cowtrix

7. Stone-Legion

Stone-Legion

Going bump this. Over a year old since the last answer and I'm getting this. With the 64bit client can we get more memory or an option to allow more memory to be used?

jessee03 likes this.
  8. jf3000

jf3000

Still no work around for this, you'd think they would address this issue. Bloody annoying.

9. zt3ff3n

zt3ff3n

I know this is an old thread, but I was having this issue myself where I would get this warning, and if I tried painting the (large) terrain again Unity would crash. Googled for days before I figured out a solution, so I figured I'd share it in case someone else is having similar issues.

Open the Preferences and under GI Cache, click Clear Cache and increase the Maximum Cache size.

At least that worked for me!

10. kautsar211086

kautsar211086

not work for me :(

11. AndreyO

AndreyO

its can be easily fixed by clicking on your splatmap by Repeat to Clamp and back.
    upload_2018-8-28_13-7-6.png
    Also u can try in scene view change view from shaded to normal

12. tangwilliam

tangwilliam

Those do not work for me. I am using 2018.1.f6 , and I must set build setting to Iphone which can not use normal view mode.

FlightOfOne likes this.
  13. alexanderlarsen

alexanderlarsen

I also have this issue in 2019.2.10

14. EmpirisoftNathan

EmpirisoftNathan

Its crazy that this issue still exists.

The ability to set the memory limit should be included at the absolute minimum. With 23GB free on my machine I should be able to dedicate a little more memory fat to the issue.

5 years later, is anyone looking into it yet???!!!

Ruslank100 likes this.
unityunity