Search Unity

Question Understanding the structured usage of Accelerator

Discussion in 'Unity Accelerator' started by veddycent, Oct 5, 2020.

1. veddycent

veddycent

Hi all,

Could I please get some clarification on how accelerator is used?

Here is the usual setup (before accelerator).
    - I have a project on my PC locally
    - All textures are in the assets folder
    - All models are in the assets folder
    - All materials are in the assets folder

Now I want my colleague to work on this project when I am not working on it.
    Does he have to copy the full project folder onto his PC?
    Then once he's done I copy it back onto my PC?
    If so this is a terrible way to work!

EDIT: Is there a way keep the project on our central server and be able to open and edit from there (with using collab)?

We have a texture library on our server (used with many other software) and ideally we want to be able to use those textures directly from there without having to copy them into the assets folder but I see no way of doing this.

I know there's a collab feature which allows multiple user to work on single projects but why on earth should we upload our project to Unity's server when we are working in the same office?
    what happens when our internet goes down?
    uploading large data constantly eats up bandwidth.

So does using Accelerator answer any of these questions?

Any guidance is much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. bradunity

bradunity

@veddycent, it sounds like you're after some kind of source control. I would recommend something like our own Plastic SCM or similar that can be installed and used within your local network. The Accelerator can then be added within the same network to reduce the time your team waits when importing new or changed assets retrieved from the source control system. In other words, you can use a local SCM solution to share the raw assets and the Accelerator to share the "translated" artifacts.