Search Unity

Question Understanding the "heads+tails" vfx for a "Solar Prominence" effect

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by The-Wand3rer, Jun 2, 2020.

1. The-Wand3rer

The-Wand3rer

Hi all, I'm trying to recreate a "solar prominence" effect (the filaments of plasma emerging from the surface, not the corona). This is what I have got

The "prominences" are creates using an edited version of the heads+tails system, like so:

(see next post)

It looks nice, but I think it can be improved. My questions are:
    • How do I make them move slower? I made some progress with editing the turbulence intensity but even if I put it to a very low number they stil go as fast as in the video.
    • What do I need to do in order to move the range? I'd like for there to be more variation in terms of distance to the surface. Some should be close to the surface, some farther.
    • How do I make the trajectories more curved, more parabolic let's say?
    • How do the spawn rate, trigger event rate, trail capacity, particle to strip count need to be modified if I want more / less prominences? I have tried to increase those numbers tenfold but I have not seen significant changes.
    • Is this an effective way to do it? Can you think of better options to do this effect with the VFX?
    • I have noticed that despite the "Position: Sphere", the prominences that should appear on the central surface (i.e. not only on the edges, as in the video) do not show up, unless I enable Transparent in the material settings of the Star's Render Queue, i.e. the material applied to the sphere. Is this "by design" or am I doing something wrong?
    The corona of the star is currently made with a billboard but it doesn't look nice if you are not viewing it directly face on (even with billboarding). Do you have any suggestions on how to create a better version? Perhaps also with the VFX system?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. The-Wand3rer

The-Wand3rer

Reposting the vfx graph:
    upload_2020-6-2_10-33-40.png