Search Unity

Help Wanted Understanding fog parameters. Also what causes the memory leak?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by diegzumillo, Feb 15, 2020.

1. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Hi all,

I went back and forth between standard RP and HDRP (also tried URP) and here I am again. I am currently trying to understand the parameters of the fog and what they do. I am finding the description from the manual confusing. Usually I like to tinker by myself longer, but there's a pretty serious memory leak and I haven't found the source yet. So tinkering for 30 minutes eats up my ram and I have to restart the computer.

So anyway, do we know what causes the memory leak? My scene consists of volumetric fog with some lights and I keep experimenting with different skies.

About the fog. The manual uses words like "base" and "height" that could be interpreted either as actual height (y direction) or radius from the camera. All examples I saw only use these features to create a subtle effect with some godrays and such, so they're not that interested in diving deep into the parameters. But I want a super dense fog that really limits visibility and I don't know how to achieve that.

2. Tomas-Kiniulis

Tomas-Kiniulis

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Not sure about the memory leaks, what's the Unity and HDRP version you are currently using? By any chance, could you share a repro project containing the leaks?

You can achieve dense fog by reducing Fog Attenuation Distance and adjusting Base Height/Maximum Height depending on how high is your scene you want your fog in

upload_2020-2-17_16-39-21.png

unityunity