Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding a session length "accuracy"

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by JohnOknelorfDev, Jan 7, 2018.

1. JohnOknelorfDev

JohnOknelorfDev

Greetings, Unity Professionals,

I would like to understand the underlying mechanics in calculations of session length. To be more precise, I'm interested in "accuracy".

I realized Unity Analytics describes a session in a little different way comparing with other analytics services. Refer to mpinol's post (link) "gaps" less than thirty minutes may exist in a single session. I would like to understand: will session length include these gaps or not?

For example, let's take the following scenario:
    • a player runs the game and plays it for 10 minutes;
    • then closes it for 10 minutes;
    • then opens it again and plays for 20 minutes;
    • then closes it for 10 minutes;
    • then opens it again and plays for 5 minutes;
    • then closes it totally.
    While other analytics services (e.g. Google Analytics) simply omit gaps and consider those sessions as the three separated ones with the length 10 / 20 / 5 minutes respectively, what do Unity Analytics do with pauses?

Will the session length be calculated as total time from session start to end (10+10+20+10+5 = 55 minutes) or only the "active" time will be taken into consideration (10+20+5 = 35 minutes)?

I will be thankful for any advice!

- Ivan

P.S. Apologies for any typos and mistakes — English is not my native language.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

If the gaps are less than 30 minutes, they will treated as no gap. I would encourage you to check yourself also through testing.