Search Unity

Unapplied prefab change = super long load time.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Gua, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Gua

Gua

Since this is not a super official bug report, I guess I'm mainly writing it for my future self. So that when I encounter this issue again. I could find this thread and remind myself how to fix it.

So recently I've noticed that main scene in my game took a huge time to load, enter playmode and exit play mode.

Here's so rough stats.

Enter Playmode 1:45 (should be around 00:30)
    Exit playmode 1:30 (should be around 00:08)
    Open scene in editor 1:30 (should be around 00:20)

I took me several hours to find the source of the issue and it turned out that the issue was caused by a probuilderized model of the house where I didn't apply changes to the house prefab. I soon as I applied those changes issue was gone.

Currently I'm using ProBuilder 3.0.9 But recently I did try to update to 4.0.3 and If I remember correctly even in 4.0.3 load times were huge.

I did try to reproduce the issue, but I wasn't able to.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    JaRo-IT and ZhavShaw like this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks, I'll try to repro this myself. Will update with info!

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Ok, I can't repro here in 403, could you create an official bug report (Help > Report a Bug) with the scene and object that are being probuilderized and causing long load times? If you can get a repro, that is. Thanks very much!

4. Gua

Gua

I'm using Unity 2018.4.5 and ProBuilder 4.1.0 and the issue has returned. When I remove all probuilder objects from the scene it goes away.

Here's what editor profiler shows
    https://i.gyazo.com/a4ae012bfa2e086031a7ef8ff5864a3e.png

I'm currently in a process of finding what specific gameobject causes this issue. But it will take a while.

5. Gua

Gua

Unfortunately it seems that this time it isn't related to one specific game object. :( The more probuilder object I removed, the faster enter/exit playmode time became. I'll try new version of probuilder and see how if it helps.

6. Gua

Gua

Remove all probuilder scripts in a scene solves this issue. But I'm not sure that this is an ideal solution.

7. Gua

Gua

I've reverted old version of this scene from svn and it doesn't have ridiculous load/enter/exit play mode times. I've tried to make same changes that I did before to trigger this issue, but this attempt wasn't successful. So I wasn't able to get to the bottom of this. My current plant is to use older version of this level and remove probuilder scripts from every object I can't become, even without those ridiculous loading times and difference is still big between scene where probuilder prefabs are present and scene where there are non. (17 sec vs 2-3 sec) to exit play mode for example.

update: Damn. looks like for prefabs I do need probuilder script. Good thing, there's export to asset option.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  8. JaRo-IT

JaRo-IT

Oh man, you just saved me. I have created a small part of a prototype city with 39 buildings using same prefab.

The Play enter time before I read this topic was ~ 20 sec. Now it is 2 sec.

I have selected all prefabs in hierarchy and just clicked on Overrides -> Apply All.

Issue fixed.

Thank you so much for posting this!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Gua likes this.
  9. CleverAI

CleverAI

I had to make this experience by myself and there was no clue whatsoever, which causes this long loading times. Until I found out that leaving ProBuilder Scripts on Prefabs was the cause. After I exported the ProBuilder created models as .obj and used them instead, the loading times were fixed.

10. quangavaro

quangavaro

FIXED!! Thank you so much for this.

11. warthos3399

warthos3399

Glad you guys worked it out, but i just have to make a comment: 2018.4.5... really?, lol. 2019 LTS is one of the best versions of Unity, and 2021 LTS is good, but wouldnt use any version higher just yet, but 2018?...

12. spiney199

spiney199

Maybe look at the dates on some of these posts.

warthos3399 likes this.
  13. warthos3399

warthos3399

Gets me every time, lol *facepalm*

spiney199 likes this.