Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Unaccounted" in Profiler

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SteveJ, Aug 11, 2016.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

Does anyone have any information about this? There's a thread here from the beta:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unaccounted-listing-in-profiler.418321/

And if you follow the link, it goes to a seemingly-related-but-maybe-not-related issue:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...cts-associated-with-them-just-shows-n-slash-a

Which says it's fixed in Unity 5.4.0.

There's also mention of this in the Patch 5.4.0p1 patch notes:
    (772640, 817337) Profiler: Fixed GPU profiling showing "N/A" for most draw calls, instead of associating with proper objects.

But I'm running 5.4.0p1 and still have the issue. They sound like two different problems to me?

2. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

Hi.
    The unaccounted sample is injected, when we have a section of the frame that doesn't have profiler samples around the block (easier to see in the timeline profiler). This is something that we need to fix, but we need a repro project to find the offender.
    If you can upload a bugreport with attached project, it would help us find the part missing samples
    Thanks
    Kim

3. SteveJ

SteveJ

Done!

(Case 822764) Unaccounted Entry In Profiler

4. SteveJ

SteveJ

Seems you can't add notes to bug cases after you've opened them?

Was going to add that I've done some more testing and it seems to be any sort of post-effect package on the camera that's causing/magnifying these Unaccounted entries. I'm using PRISM (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...ocessing-for-unity.373429/page-6#post-2751669), but have also tried with a couple of others over the weekend. Turning off the post-effects stops those massive Unaccounted spikes.

5. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

Thanks
    I'll look into this. I've changed the text in the profiler, to give more information about where the instrumentation is missing. This will likely not be available until 5.5
    Cheers
    Kim

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

In the meantime, I have no way of knowing what's adding up to 25ms to my frames :(

I assume this "Unaccounted" entry is *real* activity - i.e. not like the Gfx.WaitForPresent type filler? The performance in my game is pretty rubbish and it seems to be whatever is behind this entry that's causing it. I'm basically stuck until I can resolve this.

7. SteveJ

SteveJ

Don't suppose anyone else has come up with a work around for this issue?

I'm still waiting for a fix from Unity. Still dead in the water until I can solve this.

Radical435 likes this.
  8. hexagonius

hexagonius

We also experienced this issue. A colleague of mine used Unity 5.4... something. Even with an empty scene with just one cube this happened. Funny thing, disabling the cube and building to the device let the problem disappear. Another weird thing was, the problem only happened on iPad 3 and did not come up on iPad 2. Changing the renderer from forward to vertex lit got rid of the problem completely, but is actually not a solution.
    Maybe some of this helps to fix the problem

9. SteveJ

SteveJ

Last I heard, Unity had reproduced the problem based on the bug I'd reported and passed it on to the developers to fix. There's been several patches since then though and still no fix.

10. TitanUnity

TitanUnity

Any updates on this? We're also seeing 'Unaccounted' spikes in the profiler using 5.4.2p2.

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

Still no update/fix.

12. Shizola

Shizola

I'm also getting this, very annoying. Any update Unity?

13. Codemonger

Codemonger

I'm glad other people are seeing this same message, I hope they have a fix for this coming out soon.

14. hexagonius

hexagonius

@Kim-Riber what is the current situation on the issue. A quick info would be nice?

Codemonger and Shizola like this.
  15. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

Hi. In 5.5 the unaccounted sample will have additional text, to tell us where the un-instrumented code is. If you try with the current 5.5 build and still get the unaccounted samples, please write the full text in the unaccounted sample in this thread. That should allow us to add instrumentation to the missing parts without needing repro projects
    Thanks

Shizola likes this.
  16. Codemonger

Codemonger

Mine says:
    Unaccounted time between: Start of Frame and Camera.Render

17. Wright

Wright

I've got Unaccounted time between: UpdateSceneIfNeeded and GPUProfiler.EndQueries about 7ms when profiling editor (this does not happen in playmode). Unaccounted time is the same no matter GPU Usage profiler is visible or not. This happens in a new scene in an absolutely clear new project. I'm running Unity 5.5.0f2 on Windows 7.

18. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback
    @Codemonger: What platform? Editor or player?
    @Wright: Editor profiling doesn't have as good coverage as the game loop, I'll add it to our todo to get better coverage on the editor functions (redrawing inspectors and general window updating).

19. Codemonger

Codemonger

Platform : Mac osx Sierra 10.12.1 - Unity 5.5.0f2
    This happens in both ... Editor and Player ; Idle and running. It definitely should not be happening. While in editor, (idle) it is sucking up 3.31 ms ... for doing nothing. No other real information is provided. If there is anything else you require, let me know.

20. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

@Codemonger I'll take a look. It is likely something platform specific that we don't have profiler markers around
    @Wright I did a quick check, and it is the power throttling code, that ensures the editor doesn't run crazy fps when in ideling.

Wright likes this.
  21. Wright

Wright

That make sense, thanks!

22. BojanCup

BojanCup

So when is it going to be fixed? What is the bug ID so we can track the progress?
    Or should we back out from 5.4.3 and stay with 5.2.4?

23. Vorrin

Vorrin

24. Kim-Riber

Kim-Riber

Unity Technologies

The issue is that we are now showing that time is spent (instead of just having a blank section in the timeline).
    The more recent the version of unity you are running, the more likely it is that the unaccounted times now have proper names, and we will keep on improving this as we find (or is made aware of) more places with unaccounted time.
    @Codemonger It looks like the time spent waiting for the gpu (when gpu bound) is not instrumented on osx, and this causes these unaccounted entries you see. I don't see them on windows (in 5.5). I've assigned a bug to the osx team to look into this

25. KepleriansTeam

KepleriansTeam

Hi! We are having same performance problem on Galaxy Tab S2. Profiler says Unaccounted time between: PlayerEndOfFrame and InputProcess.

(You can see in the same screenshoot game performance on Sony Z4 and after in the Galaxy tab s2)

Thanks for the support!

Attached Files:

26. infuzo

infuzo

We had this issue on S2 too. And solved it by remove OpenGL ES 3.0 in android player settings.

27. Wolfram

Wolfram

Unaccounted time between: InputProcess and InputProcess
    5.5.0f3 Windows 10, while running an Android build for 4.0.3 API 15 with OpenGLES2 on an attached device Samsung Galaxy S6 with 5.1.1.
    Using Vuforia 6.1.17, the app is an AR-App using the Camera and Vuforia's ImageTracker.

The unaccounted time accounts for about 30-50% of total frame time.

Thanks!

28. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

@Wolfram can you please submit a full bug report - with the project to reproduce and your device data?
    Otherwise we won't be able to fix it.

29. Olivier-Tache

Olivier-Tache

Hi,
    Same Issue here with Unity 5.5.0f3 on macOS Sierra in the Editor :
    Unaccounted time between: Start of Frame and Camera.Render

I'll try on Windows 7 and post the result here.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  30. Olivier-Tache

Olivier-Tache

On Windows 7, the Unaccounted time appears to be :

Canvas.RenderOverlays :
    WaitForJobGroup
    > Material.SetPassFast

@Kim-Riber @Yury-Habets Should I submit a bug report (if I find time to do it) ?

31. redeemer

redeemer

Hi,
    I´m getting this one in Editor (Windows 7 Unity 5.5.0f3) :

Unaccounted time between: InputProcess and GPUProfiler.EndQueries

32. Janjanus

Janjanus

Hi I am getting huge frame drops after updating to Windows 10 anniversary update. The profiler says all time is spend in: Unaccounted time between: MeshSkinning.Update and Gfx.WaitForPresent.

I didn't have this problem before updating windows. I am using Window 10 64 bit with a GTX 970 with Unity version: 5.5.0f3.

Does anyone knows a solution to this problem?

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

I also was encountering the Unaccounted time about 20ms, and big frame drops, and the reason for this I believe was that I was running teamViewer on Mac while playing my scene, once closing teamViewer it went from 20-30 fps to back up to 90 fps.

34. Codemonger

Codemonger

I noticed a post a while back, someone had mentioned using force-opengl command line option and it solved it for the MAC, it forced OpenGL 2.1 instead of 4. force-opengl was removed in the latest version. I'm using the current Beta and I am only getting this issue in the editor, the build does not have this problem, so far.

35. Codemonger

Codemonger

I did some more tests and have found with a new project .. nothing added, having the profiler editor on and record ; it appears to show in memory allocation Meshes keeps increasing ; as well as the memory with it. Simple test, create a new project ... and check out memory in the profiler while profile editor is selected. It appears to be constantly increasing. Note I have not added or modified this project, it is out of the box. I also have the newest Beta ; this appears to cause the same unaccounted issues as above ...

Have a look at the attached screenshot .. Meshes over a small amount of time has increased to 1004 with a blank scene, nothing added besides what was initially there .. just main camera and directional light.

Attached Files:

36. Codemonger

Codemonger

I did some more digging and have found that it is a text mesh being created every XX ms's. It says the text mesh's being created are being referenced by HideAndDontSave, Manager or AssetBundle(). Again this is causing the unaccounted problem ... Can anyone else having the same issues confirm this at all ?

Attached Files:

37. heskethgames

heskethgames

Getting the same message my self.
    Unaccounted time between: Start of frame and Camera.Render

Seems to appear when instantiating objects but very hard to track down the exact cause and only in the editor
    On version 5.5.0f3 running on MacOS

38. QuintenAlflen

QuintenAlflen

Hi there!

I was having this issue with 5.4.3p2, 5.4.3p4 (the version I'm still using) and now with 5.5.0p1 (to see if it had been fixed).
    My profiler says "Unaccounted time between: UpdateSceneIfNeeded and GPUProfiler.EndQueries"

I can see the same textmeshes as Codemonger did.

upload_2017-1-11_15-58-26.png

Codemonger likes this.
  39. nelsonn

nelsonn

I'm getting up to 70% unaccounted on a Moto G4 whereas I get about 3% on a Moto G (first generation) :(

40. Codemonger

Codemonger

I hope this gets fixed soon, testing any type of production is unmanageable. At least we narrowed it down.

41. Devilzzz

Devilzzz

In my case I was using standard shaders for android build. Switching to mobile shaders resolved the issue. Also do not forget to update unity

42. Codemonger

Codemonger

I've updated to the latest myself and even tested the beta with the same results. The spike is created by some object creation leak, from what I can gather.

43. heskethgames

heskethgames

I wonder if its worth reporting it again as all seems quiet on the Unity front

44. Codemonger

Codemonger

@Kim-Riber@Yury-Habets any update on this ? can we expect a patch or at least some confirmation that an update will be out to fix this ?

45. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

for me it says "Unaccounted time between: AudioManager.Update and Particle.Update, has happened since I removed support for opengls.2.0 (as I was given a warning by the ide to do it) :mad:. I was in the process of rebaking scene lightmaps at the time but, that had never been an issue before both with 5.4 and the new 5.5 releases of unity so I don't think it's related. I will reinstate opengls2 and 'try' and set the project up as before. And let you know if it clears it.

Just tested another scene and it doesn't seem to be a problem, it's there in the profiler the same but the most it used was 2.1ms a few times, outside of that it was so far down the usage list I didn't bother to look for it.

After a bit more testing, on 1 android device anyway it doesn't seem to happen, I'm getting decent framerates, at least what I'd expect from each scene as being normal. so for me anyway testing with 1 device it seems to be limited to the unity editor. I shall keep my beady eyes on it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  46. Codemonger

Codemonger

I loaded the latest 5.6.0b4 with no luck.

47. heskethgames

heskethgames

I've submitted a bug about this as its getting silly now, the computer is running like its something from 10 years ago.
    I moved to the Mac version of Unity because I really don't like Windows 10, but at this rate will have to move back.

48. Codemonger

Codemonger

Same here ... But I gave away my old windows 10 Dev machine. Oh well, live and learn. I doubt I will go back to windows for development, Mac is so much cleaner - but yes, this bug is really annoying.

49. UDN_30d5b87b-555f-4eb3-a310-3b62d5b26e90

UDN_30d5b87b-555f-4eb3-a310-3b62d5b26e90

Holy S*** im so frustrated with this bugg, works perfectly in a Samsung Galaxy Gran neo plus 60Fps Android 4.4,
    on my Leeco Le max2 says unaccounted im getting 27 fps...

50. Codemonger

Codemonger

Downloaded the latest Beta build 5.6.0b5 and the message I get in just profiling the editor is :

Unaccounted time between: PlayerCleanupCachedData and GPUProfiler.EndQueries

Can I get some feedback on what could be wrong or where I can try making changes etc.