Search Unity

Unable To Open Sprite Editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by al4crity, Apr 15, 2019.

1. al4crity

al4crity

Hi,

I'm experience an issue with my Unity editor, and hope this is the correct place to ask.

Currently I'm trying to open the sprite editor for an image, but when I click "Sprite Editor" nothing happens, and I see the following message in my debug window.

Code (csharp):
    1. No Sprite Editor Window is registered.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    I've tried to debug it, and the only reference I've found is at https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...0f/Editor/Mono/Sprites/SpriteUtilityWindow.cs which doesn't really help me.

I'm experiencing it in Unity 2019.2.0a9 running on windows 10, I also tried updating to Unity 2019.2.0a11 if that matters, but the error remains. Additionally I've tried resetting my layout to factory settings, and simple stuff like restarts etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I suppose I could try downgrading to a previous Unity version, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thank you for your time!

Knarhoi, hopetolive and ScottGrambo like this.
  2. al4crity

al4crity

Turns out that Sprite Editor is a package you have to install. The debug message could perhaps make that a bit clearer, since the button is there, but nothing happens. Feel kinda foolish, because the fix was so easy. Leaving this up in case someone else stumbles upon the same project.

Thanks again for reading.

3. Mahdi_Alshareefi

Mahdi_Alshareefi

I am facing the same problem how did you fix it? how did you install sprite editor package

4. Valjuin

Valjuin

Step 1. Unity Main Menu -> Window -> Package Manager -> 2D Sprite -> Install

Step 2. Unity Main Menu -> Window -> 2D -> Sprite Editor

YaShiba1, oAzuehT, Knarhoi and 19 others like this.
  5. Yunus_kaya

Yunus_kaya

I install the 2D Sprite but still facing this problem.Do you guys know another way? or What should I do?

6. richyz

richyz

change the manifiest.json in packages folder, you can add this code
    "com.unity.2d.sprite": "1.0.0",
    "com.unity.2d.tilemap": "1.0.0",

7. Methyle

Methyle

Hey, I'm new to unity and I've been following some of the 2D animation tutorials on YouTube (
    ); Although every tutorial I come across has a working Sprite Editor & if it's not install they refer to the "Window/Package Manager" Search: "2D Sprite Package" (Advance: Show Preview Package).

I've tried adding the Sprite Editor through the Package Manager but it doesn't seem to be there. I might be a complete Goof and am just not seeing it. Although being that this thread exists I'm certain that I can't be the only one that is having this issue... Is this a bug in 2019.2.10f1? Should I go back to a 2018 version?

Edit: The Sprite Editor is native on 2018.4, just going to revert to this Unity version until this is fixed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Raghav90 likes this.
  8. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Had same issue with 2019.2.17f1 .. just installed 2D sprite as mentioned above and now works. What a weird thing for unity to remove and make a package item...

9. DPR83

DPR83

Same problem here. 2D sprite installed over 2019.3.9f1 and Im unable to slice a multiple sprite because the editor says that is not registered. I tried to add the code to the manifest, uninstall and install again ... but it doesnt work.

Attached Files:

starsim and moirangthem like this.
  10. tlrajilji

tlrajilji

Window >> Package Manager >> 2D Sprite.
    Make sure it says All Packages near the top left and it should appear.

bentalebhicham8 likes this.
  11. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

fwiw I had this problem, installed the Sprite Editor from the package manager, still saw the error message, but it went away when I closed and restarted Unity.

12. cylynex

cylynex

Not sure why we suddenly have to "install" the sprite editor thats been there forever. Seems silly.

13. zacbates420

zacbates420

If you don't feel like closing and reopening Unity I tried removing "2D Sprite" and then it auto reinstalled and sprite editor was in the window dropdown and it worked for me.

14. darkduffos

darkduffos

I had the same problem using the Unity 2020.1.5f1 version.
    For whoever else is reading this, the fix for it is to install the 2D Sprite package as the error message suggests.

Unity has done a good job of burying the location of this package but it can be found at:
    Window >> Package Manager >> in the second dropdown on the top left select "Packages: Unity Registry" >> 2D Sprites >> click "Install" in the bottom right. After a restart it should work as expected.

15. StormMuller

StormMuller

This seems so silly to not include in the base engine. I mean you need this to split button and other UI sprites... Almost every game needs this, not just 2D games.

The package manager being super flaky, does nothing to help ease the frustration.

PolyMad likes this.
  16. wizzardking17

wizzardking17

open your project in new unity version ,its work;)

17. alvmoral

alvmoral

Some windows in Unity are setting for working in another monitor. Check in WIndows Configuration, several monitors settings. Change from only one to two and apply, and back to one again. That fixed it for me

ggot likes this.
  18. PolyMad

PolyMad

I can't find the Sprite Editor.
    Opening the Package Manager, this is what I get:

upload_2023-8-12_21-20-52.png

When I select my assets, filtering by 2D keyword, nothing beginning with SPRITE:

upload_2023-8-12_21-21-56.png

Nothing beginning with 2D:

upload_2023-8-12_21-22-54.png

Same when filtered by 2D.

No filters or keyword, nothing beginning with 2D:

upload_2023-8-12_21-23-55.png

Nothing beginning with SPRITE:

upload_2023-8-12_21-26-30.png

I want to mention that with previous versions of Unity I never had a problem finding it.
    This is terrible.

19. PolyMad

PolyMad

And this is the built in:

upload_2023-8-12_21-28-4.png

Why the hell don't you this built-in as well?
    You make built-in XR and VR, which 99% of projects don't use, and leave out the Sprite Manager... compliments.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023