Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unable to load the icon: 'CacheServerDisabled'. Problem occurring

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by jayhill365, Feb 15, 2020.

1. jayhill365

jayhill365

Started receiving this message after I created a cube in Unity BETA. I wasn't able to access OR use the inspector tool or do anything after I started seeing this error message. Below is the error messages I seen on the console.

Unable to load the icon: 'CacheServerDisabled'.
    Note that either full project path should be used (with extension) or just the icon name if the icon is located in the following location: 'Assets/Editor Default Resources/Icons/' (without extension, since png is assumed)
    UnityEditor.AppStatusBar:OnEnable()
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences() (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs:74)

Any feed back or help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. alexchesser

alexchesser

am having the same issue. I don't think it's anything you're doing though. I've seen another thread somewhere with the same error message so I think it is pretty common.

3. JiangBaiShi

JiangBaiShi

upgraded my project today, the same problem happened

4. terids

terids

Have this also, 2020.1.0a23

5. batate

batate

Ditto, on several projects I tried, went back to 2020.1.0.a21 which was the last version I was using and the error does not occur in that version.

6. zarex7

zarex7

yeb, 2020.1.a23 buggy :-( Waiting for next version... maybe situation will be better

7. Pefeper

Pefeper

I have the same issue. Hardly a good fix, but this is what I did to get rid of it:

1. In your Assets folder, create a new folder called "Editor Default Resources"
    2. In that folder, create another folder called "Icons"
    3. In the "Icons" folder, put 3 .png files of your choice (probably something icon-size)
    4. Rename them to "CacheServerConnected", "CacheServerDisconnected, and "CacheServerDisabled"

Hopefully this helps anyone else who is getting frustrated with the constant error throwing!

8. moratmax957

moratmax957

@Pefeper Nice!!!!! It worked. Thanks.

Pefeper likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm getting three error messages of the same kind each time I start an empty test project in 2020.1.0a23 on Linux Mint. Not sure this is Linux related or not.

Here are the three messages:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Unable to load the icon: 'CacheServerDisabled'.
    2. Note that either full project path should be used (with extension) or just the icon name if the icon is located in the following location: 'Assets/Editor Default Resources/Icons/' (without extension, since png is assumed)
    3. UnityEditor.AppStatusBar:OnEnable()
    4. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    5. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences() (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs:74)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Unable to load the icon: 'CacheServerDisconnected'.
    2. Note that either full project path should be used (with extension) or just the icon name if the icon is located in the following location: 'Assets/Editor Default Resources/Icons/' (without extension, since png is assumed)
    4. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    5. UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences() (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs:74)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Unable to load the icon: 'CacheServerConnected'.

10. JellyQwerty12

JellyQwerty12

In the "Icons" folder, put 3 .png files of your choice (probably something icon-size)

How to add files??

11. DrLogiq

DrLogiq

@Pefeper Thank you, absolute legend! These errors have been plaguing me ever since I updated to the 2020 version.

@JellyQwerty12 If you don't know how to add files in the project explorer then you probably shouldn't be using Unity! But since you asked, and I'm not a complete jerk, you can just drag and drop the files in, OR, right-click the folder, choose "Show In Explorer" and then put the files in using your OS' file explorer - either or works just as fine.

Pefeper and ROBYER1 like this.
  12. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I too do wonder how people get anywhere in development when they ask really daft questions also, not intending to sound mean but the operation of adding files is quite rudimentary!

If they also meant how to make a .png, use MS paint or some other simple free photo editing software!

Pefeper likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

These error messages are gone in 2020.1.0a24.

Pefeper and ROBYER1 like this.
  14. Sparrowhawk81

Sparrowhawk81

Hi, you belong on /r/iamverysmart

On a serious note though, what metric do you propose people use to know when it is ok to start using Unity? Do you have a website somewhere with a checklist we can use as a starting point? Gosh I'd hate to see you get even more offended in the future at people trying to learn to make a game in Unity without knowing everything advance that they will need to know before doing so.

Finally, thank you for including the phrase "I'm not a complete jerk" in your reply. It was the icing on the cake. Made me chuckle. Have a good one!

15. Sparrowhawk81

Sparrowhawk81

Oooh look another person who belongs on /r/iamverysmart

Do you enjoy belittling people for literally no reason or do you just not realize you are doing it? Trying being helpful without sticking little barbed insults into your "help". It's not that hard and I'm sure you can find other ways to inflate your ego without being rude to others.

16. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Whomst has revived this foresaken thread! This issue was fixed many engine versions ago :)