Search Unity

Unable to install Cloud Builds on iOS 13 beta

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by abarritt, Jul 2, 2019.

1. abarritt

abarritt

I've just updated my iPad to the public iOS 13 beta and Cloud Builds no longer install. Safari simply downloads the file and doesn't attempt to install it.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. tinyrob

tinyrob

We're having the same issue, it's a huge roadblock for us at the moment

3. victorw

victorw

For applications to run on iOS 13 requires Xcode 11, which is in beta and is not supported by UCB yet. We are currently working hard to enable Xcode 11 builds in UCB however converting our infrastructure to support the changes made by Apple in this release is a large effort and we do not make a policy of officially supporting preview builds. This limitation for Xcode is true in general since Xcode upgrades are very high effort but Xcode 11 is particularly extreme and you absolutely should not expect any support for preview builds.

We're hoping to make Xcode 11 available not long after the official release although note that you may also need to upgrade to Unity 2019.3 which currently has limited support in UCB.

4. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

Wait. iOS13 won't be supported on Unity 2018.4 ?

5. victorw

victorw

Good point, yes as far as I know LTS versions will also support the latest Xcode versions. It's possible that other Unity releases may also add in support but I don't have an official list yet.

ttermeer-reboundcg likes this.
  6. abarritt

abarritt

I'm able to use Cloud Build with iOS 13.1 on my iPhone X now, however the web interface doesn't recognise my iPad Pro 11 as an iOS device. It gives me an option to download the IPA, but no way to detect device or install the IPA.

Can you help? Thanks.

7. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

@victorw any ETA on Xcode 11 ?
    We will be forced to drop iOS 11-style memory so we need to build iOS 13 app to remove device that had memory issue (iPhone 5S/6)

8. victorw

victorw

Xcode 11 is currently in testing and things are looking promising so far. For the Web interface detection on iPads running iOS13, that's a deliberate choice made by Apple. From another thread:

FYI also we'll try to add a hack workaround soon to restore this functionality without users having to change their settings however I wouldn't be surprised if our workaround breaks again - since Apple deliberately does not want website developers to be able to detect iPad usage at all!

9. rmgomez

rmgomez

I think you should leave both buttons, the Install and Download. Maybe you can add something like Install (iPad Only) as a warning.

It might be confusing but the fact that we have to change a system setting is unacceptable, developers or QA testers are not the only ones that use the service, we often send builds to clients.

The process to install using Cloud Build is already complicated for non-tech persons, please don't make it harder.

10. victorw

victorw

FWIW the hack workaround is already in place, you should be able to install iOS builds with iPads on iOS13 without having to change that setting now. The reason I recommend changing that setting though is because that's the only official mechanism for achieving this - Apple explicitly do not want to declare iPads to be iOS devices or to allow developers to detect them. My workaround could break as a result of any Apple patch because it is not officially supported or recommended.

11. abarritt

abarritt

Thanks! Happy to confirm that I can now install cloud builds on my iOS13 iPad Pro.

victorw likes this.