Search Unity

Bug Unable to install app with share link on iOS 16

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by damien_unity421, Oct 11, 2022.

1. damien_unity421

damien_unity421

Hello !

I'm not able to install a local IPA uploaded to Cloud Build through the share link to an iOS 16 iphone.

- Unity 2021.3.8f1 , XCode 13.4.1
    - everything seems fine with the IPA
    - every device is correctly registered in the profile.
    - UCB sharing works on iOS 15 devices
    - Install with Testflight is ok on iOS 16
    - the device is in developer mode.
    - That's not an typical issue with Safari ( fully opened browser, no private mode)

When using the link on iOS 16 safari :

- "Success, your download will start shortly" message shows up
    - the blank icon appears on the phone and the download seems to start
    - at the end of the download, the icon stays blank and nothing more happens ( there's a download icon next to the app name )
    - when trying to open the app, a popup says : Unable to Install "My App" Please try again later.

Is it a known issue and do you have any fix/workaround I can try?

Thanks !

jinkyosha_miyami likes this.
  2. Carl_UnityDSE

Carl_UnityDSE

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    We have already reported this issue to the developers.
    At the moment they are attempting to reproduce this case, investigate and release a fix/workaround.
    We have no ETA on the fix/workaround. However, once it is found I will reply in this forum thread.

3. AdamBebkoSL

AdamBebkoSL

We are also experiencing this issue. For us it is from an auto build share link

4. masterton

masterton

Was there any progress on this? Everything below is semi-educated guesswork. It may be utter balderdash.

I believe it's because ios 16 has started to care about the Title in the manifest.plist matching the Title of your app. iOS 15 didn't care. There are threads (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/714600) saying it is related to ios 16 being case-sensitive, but I think it's worse than that. I don't think 15 ever cared what the title was.

For example, let's say my project in the Unity Dashboard is named "My Game," but your app is called "Super Smasher." This is a perfectly reasonable setup IMO (and was until ios 16). When you go to share your iOS build, UCB creates a manifest.plist for OTA distribution which contains:

<key>title</key>
    <string>My Game</string>

But in your Xcode generated folder, open Info.plist and you will see:

<key>CFBundleName</key>
    <string>${PRODUCT_NAME}</string>

With $PRODUCT_NAME likely equating to "Super Smasher."

The solution would either have Unity change Cloud Builds manifest.plist to match your CFBundleName, or you modify the CFBundleName to match the project name in Unity Dashboard. The latter might be possible with a post-build step??

5. UnityPeterD

UnityPeterD

Unity Technologies

Hi folks,

Apologies for the delays in addressing this here.

As mentioned by Carl, this issue was reported and we believed it had been fixed but it does seem to have either persisted or resurfaced. We are currently investigating and working on a solution.

Kind Regards,

Peter D
    Unity Service Support

6. rseinspruch

rseinspruch

Any movement on this? I am experiencing it, too.