Search Unity

Unable to import textures from Blender to Unity using 'embed textures' and a FBX file

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by locksleyu, Aug 19, 2021.

1. locksleyu

locksleyu

I have a little experience with Blender but am new to Unity, and trying to take a scene developed in Blender and import it into Unity with textures.

The textures are setup so that everything is contained the .blend file, but when I drag-and-drop that file into Unity I see there are no textures shown.

Similarly, I tried to export into an FBX file, making sure to use "Path Mode" => "Copy" and "Embed Textures", and even though the file is much bigger (compared to when Embed Textures is off), I still do not see any textures rendered.

Looking closer at the objects, for example for a table I see the texture "Floor-Oak" is assigned to it. However when I view that texture it is plain with default settings and no color or other details. That is the same for all the textures that got imported, they all seem to be blank. Actually, as I was writing this I found one texture that had a color (countertop, which is black), so I guess the problem is that the texture images are not getting imported.

I tried with both Unity 2021.1.17f1 and 2020.3.16f1, but neither works.

There seem to be a bunch of posts on this topic scattered over the years, but nothing seems to help. I saw a few referring to a setting related to importing materials by name under Inspector, but I can't seem to find that. I'm not sure if it moved to somewhere in the last few years.

2. KFX01

KFX01

Same here 2021.2.7.f1

3. arfish

arfish

Extract materials from fbx about 5 minutes into the film.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  4. bastien_humeau

bastien_humeau

Unity Technologies

Hi @locksleyu,

I think you get your export settings right from Blender (given you're seeing a much bigger fbx file with embedded textures). I'll still post the right export option here for others' benefit because I know I myself had trouble with it in the past...
    upload_2022-3-8_12-17-0.png

However, inside of Unity, Textures can't be imported directly from the fbx files, for several reasons, the main one being the import settings, compression, size, normal map settings, etc... may be different for each embedded texture and all of those settings would not be manageable from the ModelImporter inspector.

In order to get your textures visible on the imported model, select your model and then the Materials tab inside the inspector. If your textures were correctly embedded the "Extract Textures..." should be enabled, letting you extract the textures in your fbx folder and re-import the Model using them properly.