Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to even start because I hate the hotkeys

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ManyOnes, Mar 21, 2018.

1. ManyOnes

ManyOnes

Hi,
    I am eager to learn Unity but I struggle with it on my laptop.
    I use no mouse, only the touchpad and have a Wacom Intuos.
    I tried but panning and zooming are still a mystery for me. I've read I should press Alt and right click
    (touchpad also?) and drag over the plane. Nothing happens.
    Searching through settings, I found the hotkeys but they are not editable and things like zoom or pan are missing.
    Is there a reason why Unity uses non- "mainstream" keys? Like for example, Q for Hand. Or why not a z or Ctrl + + for zooming in?
    Is the ability to customize hotkeys reserved to Pro versions? I am using Free.
    Do I absolutely need a mouse?
    It looks like a program developed by and for mouse users.
    Coming from Adobe realm, I really struggle with this.
    I may need a desktop pc at some point but now only trying to dip my fingers.
    Perhaps, the mouse is the cheapest way out.

Thanks for your patience,
    vt8235, Unity noob

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's keys for selecting the mode of movement is based off of Maya (which is to some degree an industry standard).

To my knowledge the answer is yes.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, no, you don't necessarily need a mouse; a touchpad also works. I've used Unity on my laptop while traveling (i.e., without a mouse) many times.

But when you're at home or the office, I highly recommend a mouse... they're like ten bucks, and way faster/easier than any trackpad (IMHO). (Though not everyone agrees — a friend of mine has an expensive Mac with a ginormous monitor on his desk, and he plugs in an external Apple trackpad because he likes it better than any mouse. Tastes vary, I guess!)

4. orb

orb

Touchpads work, but I find that a mouse works better for Unity (or any 3D work in general - middle-click and multi-clicks are usually the combos which get tricky on a touchpad). My spare mouse collection is vast and fearsome, the spare batteries wall for the Bluetooth mice even more so :)

5. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Best solution, buy a Mouse.

A good USB wireless one won't be that expensive.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I got away for years with just a touch pad. The only reason I brought a mouse was because the touch pad on my laptop died.