Search Unity

Bug Unable to dock / undock Unity-Windows with tiling window managers

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MullerLucas, Jun 25, 2020.

1. MullerLucas

MullerLucas

Hey, I'm trying to use Unity3D with DWM / BSPWM, but I'm not able to dock / undock any windows Unable to dock / undock application windows in Unity3Dcreated by Unity.
    I've tested all modes (tiling, floating, ...) and on BSPWM I've tried setting it to unmanaged, but it didn't fix the problem.

Video:

It works fine on XFCE.

Any help would be appreciated.

XPhyro, jjensch_, kukurenaiz and 2 others like this.
  2. xp4u1

xp4u1

Same on arch+bswpm and wmname set to "compiz" (for example jetbrains apps do not work under e.g. without; had hoped that there might be a similar bug at unity)
    I really need to dock the "Entity Debugger" to the main window...

kukurenaiz likes this.
  3. kukurenaiz

kukurenaiz

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  4. ktze

ktze

Same problem here with i3wm.

5. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Just a reminder that the only currently supported window manager is GNOME. With others YMMV.

6. HerbertSSchaefer

HerbertSSchaefer

Had the same problem in DWM, switched to awesomeWM and everything works with the exception of the refresh editor on focus.

7. Chalkybot

Chalkybot

So the fix is to just change WMs?
    lol?

8. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

We do not test against all Window managers. Given Unity usage on Linux and window manager usage among that subset of users, we put our limited resources into the window manager best represented by our customers. Thus our focus on GNOME. The developers responsible for window management, myself included, don't have the bandwidth to handle the intricacies of each of the wide array of Linux window managers while also supporting macOS and Windows.

Some people have had good luck with KDE, but we don't test against it or officially support it. Generally users have had the most trouble with tiling window managers, and issues appearing solely on these window managers are in the category of windowing bugs least likely to be fixed.

Ares2048 likes this.
  9. eric1320

eric1320

I understand Kevin's point and agree, I just like to leave a note that I used unity 2 years ago with BSPWM and the only issue I found was this one, I came back to Unity and this is still the only issue I found so far, so it'd be nice if someone could take a look and just let us know how hard would be to fix it or not, thanks!

10. llamaIllusion

llamaIllusion

i feel like rather than test against a single window manager, why not test against one of the window management standards that most window managers are compliant with? ewmh, icccm, etc?

11. upkah

upkah

It's a very annoying problem, I hope someday it will be fixed.