Search Unity

Unable to debug external DLL when app is deployed to iOS device like iPad/iPhone

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sanjodev, Jan 23, 2015.

1. sanjodev

sanjodev

Instead of putting all my scripts into the assets folder, I split them up into separate DLL projects, build then in another solution, and then add the built DLLs along with the debug symbols .mdb into the assets folder. I also have some scripts in the assets folder which are automatically built and compiled by Unity.

When I run my app in the Unity Editor, I am able to debug the external DLL and the scripts in the auto generated Unity solution. No problems here.

When I deploy the app onto a Android device using my Windows PC, I can debug both the external scripts and the scripts in the auto generated Unity solution. No problems here.

When I deploy the app onto a iPad/iPhone device with my Mac with build settings "Development Build" + "Script Debugging" enabled, I cannot debug the external DLL (breakpoints don't trigger), but the strange thing is I can debug the scripts in the auto generated Unity solution.

So anybody have any ideas why I am having trouble debugging the iPad/iPhone device?

2. j-borden

j-borden

I have the same problem...any information about this?

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Running an app on an iOS requires the script to be converted into assembler. If you are debugging Unity scripts, then Unity will do some extra work to map the assembler back into the Unity script. When you use external DLLs Unity knows nothing about how they were created, so cannot link them back the your script.