Search Unity

Question Unable to create project

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Sah420, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Sah420

Sah420

Pretty new to unity I just downloaded the unity hub but everytime I try to create a new project I get an error saying ''unable to create project'' also is it me or the download link on the unity website for the BETA version and regular version give the same thing ?
    I tried changing the location to document, or C drive but it doesn't change a thing. Really need help here
    upload_2022-1-11_22-24-25.png

SteveN307 and az238 like this.
  2. Here is some ideas you may want to try:
    - create a folder for your Unity projects on
    C:\
    or on any other drive where you have ample of space (do not create projects on the root, especially not on the
    C:\

- IDK how did you end up with 2020.3.0f1... if you don't have any particular reason to choose that, upgrade it to 2020.3.25f1, there are tons of bugfixes...
    - upgrade your project template as the Hub indicates
    - it is not mandatory, but change your project name to something meaningful, even if it is just "Testing2020"
    - check the logs

screenshot.png

UnityJuju likes this.
  3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Try picking a location in your user's home folder. Standard users are prevented from writing directly to C:\

Instead try C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents for example. Or create the folder manually under C:\ and make sure the security permissions grant full access to the logged in user before selecting that folder in the Hub.

4. Pidim

Pidim

hello. I am having a similar problem, It is not working even by trying C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents upload_2022-6-26_20-8-37.png

Attached Files:

5. sdadfsfg

sdadfsfg

uninstall all unity and install again the problem occurs because unity was not installed properly

shailendrasingh4598 likes this.
  6. dancing_broccoli

dancing_broccoli

for me it still doesnt work

7. bluwasp907

bluwasp907

im having the same problem as pidim

8. iTayBearxo

iTayBearxo

I really need help with this as well. Nothing is working.

9. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Please provide an accurate problem description including what you tried and any error messages and attach the editor.log file.

10. NagibIsmail1997

NagibIsmail1997

upload_2022-12-15_17-21-24.png when i want to create a project rejects me and replies me that how can i fix it

ifostick likes this.
  11. - check the unity hub logs, maybe that contains more information (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html)
    - do not put your projects inside OneDrive folders, it can become broken in no time when it gets synched at the wrong moment and it slows down the editor as well, always put your projects on internal, non-removable storage such as HDD or SSD (I like to create a separate partition for work, I have the drive "D" (Development) for this on my fastest SSD

12. sierrastars

sierrastars

I had this problem creating a new project because I was trying to create it on my Desktop, which syncs with OneDrive. When I switched to a folder not syncing with OneDrive, everything worked fine.

13. DordusRising

DordusRising

Sounds like it might work. I'm gonna try that.

14. DordusRising

DordusRising

How exactly did you do it? I am having difficulty.

15. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

It sounds like you just need to change the location.

upload_2023-1-5_12-41-23.png

valenvazquez likes this.
  16. DordusRising

DordusRising

Thank you! I actually did that and it worked. I also had to relocate some files as well.

17. az238

az238

Having the same problem. Uninstalled everything unity and reinstalled. Noticed the last time I did that Microsoft Defender popped a message window up which said something about blocking components of this program, but I accidentally clicked out of that window before I realized what it was... I know, I'm an impatient idiot at times. At the expense of my ego, I am sharing this as I am currently uninstalling in prep for a reinstall to find that message again, to see if I can reconfigure Defender to allow unity and see if THAT is the cause of the problem.

I have verified that the location is local hard drive and not One Drive, so that is not the issue for me... that I can tell... and that did not solve the problem, which is why I uninstalled and reinstalled the second time I did so.

18. az238

az238

Hi all.

Did all of the above steps and still could not get unity to work. To make a LONG explanation short, just do the following:

1. Back up ALL personal and important things from hard drive onto flash or other media which is removable.
    2. Uninstall One Drive from the computer.
    3. Reload everything from step 1 above.
    4. Download Unity Hub.
    5. Open Hub > Installs
    6. Select LTS version
    7. Pick options you desire
    8. Install.
    9. Create Project!

Hope that helps you as it did me!

19. Fluffyboi69420

Fluffyboi69420

Hi

Im having trouble with my unity to where it is telling me im unable to create a project
    I am not using one drive and i have uninstalled and reinstalled unity to see if it would fix it and it still is giving me to the issue and i would like to know what can i do to fix it

20. az238

az238

If onedrive is installed on your machine, it may appear that you are not using it, while it is in fact hijacking your
    every save function. This is what it was doing to me. I was forced to manually delete ALL personal files which saves them in the recycle bin, then uninstall one drive from my machine. Even then it does not remove every onedrive folder, so you will have to search file explorer for anything onedrive, and manually delete it. next restore your files from the recycle bin. Lastly uninstall everything unity and then reinstall... VERIFY the save to location....

The problem I had was even though I was convinced I was not using onedrive, manually selecting save to locations on my local drives, onedrive was actually only saving a shortcut to the file on my local drive while in reality it was saving the actual file on the onedrive system. The shortcuts on my local drive appeared to be the file itself, meaning no little arrow to tell me it was a shortcut... and when opening it acted like the real file, so like you, I just KNEW I was not using onedrive! When in fact onedrive had hijacked my entire machine and I did not realize it. Only after all of the above was I able to install Unity and get it running; and if not for this mess with unity I would never have known it.

I an SOOO thankful for this problem with installing unity... now I own my system again... or at least I think I do. ;)

21. unity_bhaynoMM7EmNMA

unity_bhaynoMM7EmNMA

22. jsjjihsjijiogfjgjodhohstji

jsjjihsjijiogfjgjodhohstji

BUT SHOW US HOW TO DELETE ALL PERSONAL FILES AND THEN U KNOW PLS SHOW US HOW IDK WHAT IM DOING

23. lewyzlewyz2010

lewyzlewyz2010

24. hihimikolaj

hihimikolaj

JUST SAY

25. afonsobrasilgames

afonsobrasilgames

Guys, the project send:
    Unable to create project
    Unity Hub 3.4.1 04_04_2023 15_14_38.png

26. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Because standard users do not have permission to create folders in C:\ by default under Windows, or any other path that isn't in the User's home path.

This is what happens to security permissions when you create a folder in C:\ ... specifically: you do not have modify & write permissions, that means this folder defaults to being read-only:
    upload_2023-4-5_10-57-17.png

Try creating it in your user's Documents folder, or any other folder under "C:\Users\<your username>\" where you have full permission.

Alternatively, but not recommended, create the folder using Explorer and set the appropriate permissions on that folder by enabling "Full Control".

But beware!
    Giving a standard user Full Control or even Write permissions to the root of a drive, specifically the one where Windows is installed (commonly C:), poses a serious security risk as it would make Windows and its applications very vulnerable to all sorts of attacks, including accidental or intentional deletion of entire files/folders!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  27. unity_718118

unity_718118

it did not help

28. braop

braop

I have tried all solutions here and non of them works

29. nissero123

nissero123

someone please help me, I have the problem of "unable to create project", I did everything they sent, user permissions, I don't have onedrive, I reinstalled and reinstalled unity hub, put the license back, put the location of the folders projects and editor in a partition that I use for work. AND NOTHING WORKS
    upload_2023-5-13_22-19-37.png

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Try a location without any spaces or special characters.

31. nissero123

nissero123

The location has nothing special, nothing works :/

32. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

The location path certainly has spaces in it, and we can‘t see the rest. Who knows, it may even be a very deep path that hits the Windows path length limit which is around 240-260 characters all in all.

Try creating a project in your user‘s home directory, for example under Documents. See if that works.

„Unable to create Project“ almost always points out a permission issue in the „Location“ field.
    It matters a lot which „user permissions“ you set, where, for which user or group, and whether these permissions are inherited by subfolders, and what the permissions of the parent folders are. The only location that always works by default for any app and purposes is the user‘s home directory.

efep531 likes this.
  33. nissero123

nissero123

Hello everyone, I found the solution to this problem, or at least it worked for me. I tried to do everything they said, the onedrive thing, folder location, etc. Looking for a solution I found that the location of the download of the editor, this location from what I see in the images that they send, they change it, and as a result it throws the error "unable to create project". I don't know how to explain it but the solution would be the following:

1. Enter the %appdata% folder and delete 2 folders called Unity and Unity hub (this so that when we reinstall unity the configurations we did before are not saved, this way it would be like downloading unity for the first time).
    upload_2023-5-14_12-1-43.png
    2. Once you delete those folders, we enter where we have unity installed and execute the file that says unistall.exe, after deleting it, we reinstall the unity hub again (when they do, they will see that unity appears until the animation that appears when they first enter).

3. Once the reinstallation is done, go to the gear that is at the top right in the menu (the one that says preferences when you put the mouse over it), then go to the part that says installs and you will see 2 locations, one where the installations are and another where the downloads are, the installation one, which is the location where the editor is, they choose it when they reinstall unity. Now, the one that does matter to us is the one that says download location, that IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT TOUCH IT, leave it in the default location it has. A location that should look something like this when defaulted.
    upload_2023-5-14_12-11-39.png

Now if you followed all the steps you should be able to create your projects without problem, this is how I fixed it and it worked for me. I hope it has served you and answer me if you have any questions.

SamBecomesDev and Force_GER like this.
  34. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

To clarify these settings:

Installs location => This is where the Unity Hub downloads the Unity Editor executables and related files.
    Default: C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor
    Permissions for logged in User:
    upload_2023-5-14_17-53-23.png

Downloads location => This is the folder where files are stored during downloads.
    Default: C:\Users\CodeSmile\AppData\Local\Temp
    Permissions for logged in user:
    upload_2023-5-14_17-54-20.png

Of course if you change either of these locations, the permissions of these locations can affect whether the Unity Hub can create projects respectively launch the editor.

It is recommended NOT to change either of these locations UNLESS you absolutely know what you are doing and you ABSOLUTELY have to make that change (ie running out of disk space).

Pretty sure you won't have to re-install the Hub to make this work though. As long as the Hub itself is running fine you can change those two folder locations. If either one was the (only) issue, a re-install wasn't exactly necessary - that is, if you know what these locations default to (hence I posted them above).

Taha_Jin likes this.
  35. nissero123

nissero123

better explained impossible, thanks for clarifying

36. frankenlafranklin

frankenlafranklin

Solved it on accident. Change the editor version to something without LTS in the title
    InkedScreenshot 2023-07-08 at 00-45-18 Question - Unable to create project.jpg

SteveN307 and Force_GER like this.
  37. Force_GER

Force_GER

Oh my god dude you saved my life xD Thank you very much

38. efep531

efep531

Hİ PLS HELP ME I CANT MAKE PROJECT PLS LOOK AT THIS AND IM IN MACBOOK AND IM TRYİNG TO MAKE A PROJECT AND UNİTY SAYS ''Unable to create project'' pls helpme Ekran Resmi 2023-08-06 17.10.34.png

39. Sostot0104

Sostot0104

Hey! I just wanted to share that i had the same problem on my mac, but it turned out it was because I downloaded the wrong editor (I thought I downloaded silicon, but I had downloaded intel). Hope this helps :)

40. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

Yes. I can't create projects with 2022.3.7 . Hub doesn't do anything.

41. jsanyin

jsanyin

Just in case:

I create a folder without the "unity" word and it worked, if i put "unity" word in the folder like:
    g:\unitygames
    g:\unityprojects
    Gives error.

I create a folder without "unity" word like:
    g:\"games3D"

and it worked.

Darkgaze likes this.
  42. China_Wakes

China_Wakes

This can be because of a few reasons. I never save to C:\. Instead I use a Unity Dev Folder on D drive - syncing issues especially with OneDrive or equivalent on C.. A student had a similar issue. Don't forget to pull-down (extend) the New Project landing page and check your Unity Cloud Organization is the appropriate one. Return of license and then getting a new one is another way. Unless the install or System is corrupted, it isn't necessary to format, re-install etc. etc. Bit heavy duty. Equivalent to laying a new carpet if you spilt a coffee.

43. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Yeah, that's not supported. Unity projects must never be in a folder that is cloud-synced, regardless of the tool being used. OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. all exhibhit the same issues and if the project is shared between multiple machines corruption and possible unrecoverable loss of data can occur.