Search Unity

Unable to create custom Shader Graph node due to inaccessibility of CustomFunctionNode class

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by mleodev, Nov 22, 2018.

1. mleodev

mleodev

Error: CS0122: 'CodeFunctionNode' is inaccessible due to its protection level

Unable to inherit from the class CodeFunctionNode due to its protection level, I was trying to create a custom shader graph node,
    I'm using:
    • Unity 2019.1.0a9
    • Core RP Library 5.1.0
    • Lightweight RP 5.1.0
    • Shader Graph 5.1.0

2. izym

izym

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

We're working on a new API for making custom nodes that will address some of the issues people had with the current API, as well as distance the public API more from the internals of Shader Graph such that we don't back ourselves into a corner. Unfortunately we've had to make the current API internal before the new API is ready. We know that this sucks right now, but something better is coming :) Everything you've created with CodeFunctionNode will be convertable (manually though) to the new API, and graphs made using custom CodeFunctionNodes will continue to work if you follow some simple guidelines when converting to the new API. Currently we're aiming to have it ready for 2019.1.

hawken, hippocoder, jashan and 2 others like this.
  3. mleodev

mleodev

Good to know, thanks for the proper and clear response! Waiting for the new API to come!

izym likes this.
  4. deus0

deus0

I wish there was a way to get pinged when it's available, is there a mailing list? haha. Thanks for the great work, loving the beta and alpha updates.

5. sewy

sewy

Any ETA about this? After update to 2019.1.0a10 got this error and most of my shaders cannot compile. Making the current API internal before the new API is ready with no temporary hack, to be able to continue was not a good decision at all.

Shader Graph + HDRP 5.2.3.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Unity 2019.1.0a13, still same problem. :(

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The goal is still to have the new API ready for 2019.1, which is targeted to be released in April. It will likely become available before then on GitHub but not in the next couple of weeks.

hugokostic and LennartJohansen like this.
  8. asdzxcv777

asdzxcv777

any updates on this ??

9. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

+++ any news would be great!

We still not able to make custom nodes with 2019.1b5 and ShaderGraph 5.6.1 :(

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I was told it's being worked on, and will probably (cant predict exactly as it has to be code reviewed and merged etc). I verified this with a visit to github and it's being worked on without a specific date other than to land within 2019.1.

It's intended to land in 2019.1 for sure through. You will just have to be patient since it's at most within 4 weeks.

11. jay3sh

jay3sh

I'm still seeing this problem in 2019.2.0a9. Does it have the new API?

12. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

You can create Custom Function node in ShaderGraph now.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Yes and it's not related to what alpha you have, but what version of SRP is in use.

14. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

Hey @hippocoder , i upgraded my projet to 2019.1 and my customnode broke as well, where i can find the guidelines to upgrade it for the last version of HDRP?

15. Zundrium

Zundrium

What's the reason behind this change? Maybe I'm criticizing incomplete work but the previous API was way more flexible and easy to understand. Having to specify a custom node each time in the ShaderGraph GUI vs creating a C# superclass and selecting the node like any other node.. this way will get very annoying when you have around 20 custom nodes. Please tell me we'll get the CustomNode base class back :O

TimNedvyga and Renanmgs like this.
  16. TimNedvyga

TimNedvyga

For the sake of justice, you could actually create subgraph for custom node and reuse it. But I agree that C# class was much more handful in terms of share. It's just easier to share your work when a user has the opportunity to look at the node's code right on GitHub without a need to import it to Unity.

GameDevCouple_I likes this.
  17. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

My problem now is: I have a customNode to my shader work with DrawMeshInstanced. Without the customNode Codes i cant specify my shader to be a MeshInstanciable.

18. cpinard

cpinard

Just a heads up I wasn't able to get this to show up in 2019.1b10 until I had updated the RP Core/LWRP to 5.10.0

19. hawken

hawken

any news?

This was handy for custom things like refraction nodes

20. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

It's been replaced in 2019.1 forward with a Custom Function node instead of the C# API.
    With the node, you can either directly write HSL code in it or attach an HSL file to it.

upload_2019-4-16_3-55-19.png

21. hawken

hawken

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  22. Zundrium

Zundrium

I've been told using HLSL files is a lot cleaner than pasting HLSL code inside a C# class. I guess that's correct. However, I do hope to see a guide about this as well. Trying to use Kejiro's 3D noise as a test. But error messages like `_CustomFunction_3B100912_New1 used without having been completely initialized.` isn't really giving me a direction on where to search..

23. 479813005

24. Kink3d

Kink3d

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

We understand that there is some confusion around how the custom function node works and/or the way we recommend that you work with it. We are currently working on the documentation for this node, but it is becoming clear that documentation alone may not be enough and a blog post or similar might be required. Thanks for the input here.

For the record, if you are sharing custom function nodes (within Sub Graph as is recommended and noted earlier) we recommend you use File mode for various reasons (code diff, viewing source on github etc). File mode also allows you much more options such as defining custom uniforms, data structures and including more files etc.

hashimoto-y, Renanmgs and hawken like this.
  25. bauke

bauke

Looking forward to the documentation.

To summarize the example 479813005 added:
    the hlsl function name should end with _float (althought the name field in the shader graph does not)
    Results are returned as out values (the return value is not used and can always be void?)
    The source field searches from the base unity directory

upload_2019-4-19_22-48-10.png

test.hlsl:
    Code (csharp):
    1. void PixelShaderFunction_float(out float4 color, out bool test)
    2. {
    3.     color = float4(1,0,0,1);
    4.     test = true;
    5. }
    I couldn't get the inline code (type = String) to work. It seems to fail on the parameter declaration.

26. asdzxcv777

asdzxcv777

any update on documentation for this ??
    i am having difficulty understanding how output works. does it have to be out parameter or return value

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  27. bauke

bauke

put your result values
    Out parameters

For example, to create a node with 2 input booleans and 2 booleans as output:
    void fn_float(bool InValue1, bool InValue2, out bool OutValue1, out bool OutValue2)

Assign your resulting value to the out params. Make sure the inputs and outputs on the custom node match your function and you should get a result from the node.

28. hawken

hawken

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 22.07.31.png @bauke you need to match the names your Out parameters exactly (with no spaces) as they appear in both the custom fields and your inline string.

So "Test boolean" is invalid, it should be "test". "Color" is also invalid, it should be "color" (not recommended as this is a reserved term)

Also, inline strings only work without brackets, as far as I can tell (I'm only testing with one liners)

Having the custom parameter names as white on grey is my biggest challenge right now ;):(o_O:eek::)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    bauke likes this.
  29. bauke

bauke

Ah, thanks for clearing that up @hawken .
    I was putting the entire function inside the body of the custom node, rather then just the content of the function.

It's interesting that the parameter names are used inside the generated code thought. When using an hlsl file the first output is mapped to the first out value and the parameter names are purely aesthetic (and also visible on the node so making them readable names seems like the logical thing to do).

30. Lightway82

Lightway82

Where i can find it?
    Shader Graph version 6.5.3

Attached Files:

• 111.png
      111.png
      File size:
      18.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    hegdavid96 likes this.
  31. hawken

hawken

upgrade to 5.10

32. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

I install the latest shader graph (5.7.2) via package manager but still don't find custom node.

hegdavid96 likes this.
  33. m3rt32

m3rt32

Alright, but this node looks like removed in latest versions. Is that mean another change/removal coming up?

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  34. hawken

hawken

the latest in 2019.1 is 5.13

35. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

36. 3d_Artist1987

3d_Artist1987

ok,I got it

37. kalagaan

kalagaan

It looks like the custom node has been removed from 6.5.3 (Unity 2019.2.0b1) :confused:
    It's really annoying... :(

38. brokenCarry

brokenCarry

Which version of Shader Graph do I need to have access to the Custom Node API. I have been trying a bunch of different version and none of them let me access the class. This is becoming very annoying at this point.

JimmyCushnie likes this.
  39. kalagaan

kalagaan

I think that only ShaderGraph 5.13 (unity 2019.1) contains the custom function node...:confused:

40. brokenCarry

brokenCarry

That sucks if that the case im in using the preview version since the 2019.1 version of unity crashes on project load

41. Invertex

Invertex

kalagaan likes this.
  42. brokenCarry

brokenCarry

43. kalagaan

kalagaan

In 5.13 you can write the code in the node or add a path to a HLSL file.

according to the change log of 7.0.0, it will be possible to link a file to the node :)
    • The Custom Function Node now uses an object field to reference its source when using File mode.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  44. monark

monark

You should probably remove this from the docs as it appears to no longer be relevant

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...anual/Custom-Nodes-With-CodeFunctionNode.html

45. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

46. _watcher_

_watcher_

Just to Up this incase it was forgotten, remove please. I also just spent quite a while trying to integrate no-longer-usable code into my project (like this one and many other github code repos are now unusable). Cheers! :confused: Or atleast add a WARNING and a link to this thread on top, so people dont waste time digging in.

LeonhardP likes this.
  47. _watcher_

_watcher_

Since the old docs are still up, is there any place one could get the docs you mentioned or the blog post? Your message is almost 4months old, so either it was forgotten completely, no longer required(?), subject to change, or whatever the reason, id love to get some basic info with some examples maybe, as im currently starting to learn to use this tool.

48. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

_watcher_ likes this.