Search Unity

Bug Unable to assign "Select" button with the Xbox One Elite controller on MacOS

Discussion in 'Input System' started by HunterAhlquist, May 11, 2023.

1. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

I'm trying to get a menu button to be assigned on MacOS as using Gamepad > Select wouldn't be picked with my controller. However, Input System will not detect anything when select is pressed on my Xbox One Elite and regular Xbox One controller, can't get them to work wired. Other inputs on the controller do work, and this only happens on MacOS.
    If anyone can provide any insight into why this is happening or if this is a bug, I'd be grateful.

2. TheoIO

TheoIO

Able to reproduce this with macOS Ventura 13.4.1 / Unity 2022.3.3f1

We have a game that uses the back/select button to bring up a World Map, but the code that used to work for detecting the button press no longer triggers. ( With a Xbox Bluetooth controller ).

Prior to upgrading macOS this wasn't an issue.
    Seems to be a wider issue see: https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/m1w2hi/xbox_one_controller_keeps_trying_to_start_screen/

Weirdly this site does detect the button press:
    https://hardwaretester.com/gamepad

alex_roboto and HunterAhlquist like this.
  3. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Thanks for sharing, I feel less insane now. Same oddity with that tester website too.
    Seems like it could be a MacOS issue rather than Unity.

4. TheoIO

TheoIO

Yeah, I think it is definitely a MacOS issue, but if that site is able to detect the button press Unity should be able to as well.

Thinking to try one of the older versions of the Input Manager package as I am on the latest (1.6.1 ).
    Maybe on older Input Manager uses a different approach to the button press detection ( long shot )?

Thanks for your post too I thought I was losing my mind too.

5. TheoIO

TheoIO

I found a workaround for this issue that works for me.

In Edit->Project Settings...->Input Manager add an input called 'Select' with these settings.

upload_2023-7-6_11-5-26.png

Then in your code you can do:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. if( Input.GetButtonDown("Select") ){
    3. //do something
    4. }
    Not sure how robust this will be and if it will work for the PS Controller equivilant button but it seems usable until this gets fixed in the new Input System

6. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Hi this is still an issue, tried again on a completely different MacOS device, can I have a developer on the new input system look at this?
    I tried a Dualshock 4 controller (8bit-do emulated) and the select button works on there. Seems to be limited only to Xbox controllers

alex_roboto likes this.
  7. alex_roboto

alex_roboto

QA reported the select button on Xbox wasn't wired up correctly. I kept telling her I couldn't repro. Finally, we narrowed it down to Mac versus Windows and I found this thread. Thanks for confirming.

HunterAhlquist likes this.
  8. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Haha yeah, Unity support lowkey likes to gaslight