Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMotion - Animation Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SoxwareInteractive, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Sorry you are correct. I had assumed Editor Default Resources acted just like Resources and it is common for people to assume that needs to be in root as well. Looks like Editor Default is a special case so you have to put it there.

2. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Happy to announce that UMotion V1.04p06 was just released on the Asset Store.

This patch release comes with lot's of stability improvements and bug fixes. Updating is highly recommended :)

Get it from the Asset Store: UMotion Professional | UMotion Community

UMotion V1.04p06
    ---------------------------

New or Changed Features:
    None

Bug Fixes:
    ■ Fixed a warning message that appeared in the console when a clip is imported with a '.' in the name.
    ■ Fixed that importing an animation clip from the same prefab as the one which is currently used as preview object doesn't work correctly when the animation compression needs to be disabled by UMotion.

Manual Changes:
    None

UMotion V1.04p05
    ---------------------------

New or Changed Features:
    None

Bug Fixes:
    ■ Fixed that the root motion curves aren't imported correctly when the imported humanoid animation clip has the "Mirror" flag set.

Manual Changes:
    None

==============================================================
    See UMotion Manual - "Release Notes" for complete history. ==============================================================

Thanks to everybody who helped me catching those bugs by reporting them on the support Q&A. Feel free to contact me whenever something might not behave as expected.

blitzvb likes this.
  3. pha

pha

It would be nice if it can also animate blend-shapes

4. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @pha,
    thanks for reaching out.

If the model you are animating already has blend shapes, you can animate them using UMotion:
    1) Make sure your model has some blend shapes (like "The Butcher" - a free model from the Asset Store)
    2) Create a new UMotion project
    3) When you assign the model to the Pose Editor for the first time, UMotion will show the following dialog:
    upload_2018-1-18_19-36-53.png
    4) Depending on your decision, the blend-shape channels are added to the head or to a custom created transform. You can see the blend-shape weight's in the Channels section when you select the head/custom controller.

Creating the blend shapes for a 3D model is something that's better done in a 3D modelling application and can't be done in UMotion.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    skinwalker likes this.
  5. pha

pha

Thank you! This is perfect.

6. skinwalker

skinwalker

Any tips for animating 2 humanoid characters at the same time? I have the Pro package.

7. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @skinwalker,
    thanks for purchasing UMotion Pro.

Please take a look at my previous post regarding this topic.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

8. skinwalker

skinwalker

I have seen this post, but it's for a generic rig, we only use humanoid.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  9. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @skinwalker,
    I agree that this would be very useful and I have it on my internal to-do list. I'm sorry but in the current version this is not possible though.

10. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi,

FYI I also posted the same question on your website but figured I ask here as well. If I have two animations, for example running animation and casting a spell (wizard character). The spell animation is static, the character is not moving on the root. The running is a root motion animation.

I want to graft the spell casting portion of the animation, above the waist (the torso) data from the spell cast animation to the running animation. I would like to completely override the data above the waist for the running animation with the above the waist data from the spell animation. Then do some tweaking on the final animation. Is this possible with UMotion, and if so how would one go about it?

By the way, I'm aware of the unity runtime animator layers and blending, in my case this is not a solution though. So would like to have a single combined animation. I should mention that both animations are of type Humanoid and the running animation has root motion data which I would like to keep.

Thank you for taking the time answer.

Regards.

11. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

12. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hi, no worries, you got to sleep s
    No worries, you need to sleep sometime. Thank You for getting back.

Regards.

13. metalic32

metalic32

Hi,
    I tried to work with newest UMotion ver. 1.04p08, but it breaks everything when export in my case. It's not usable anymore for me.
    1. I made a new Unity project just with Umotion and examples. Opened Umotion Idle project and Example scene. Whan, I change anything (delete one key Ribs bone) and make export it change the first frame to T pose. I tried many models, many animations. Export destroys the project and makes glitchy exported animation.

2. When I use Additive layers and make export it makes even more mess. It loo's like model explodes.
    3. When I select a bone in a scene view it will be great to select a bone in a clip editor. It is so inconvenient that I have to search proper bone manually.

Please fix the export as soon as possible.
    Regards

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  14. lod3

lod3

Unity 2017.2 - how do you save a pose made for static use? Couldn't find anything in the manual. Just want to pose a skinned mesh, but without creating animations for it.

15. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

@metailc32 posted his question also on the Soxware Support Q&A and we fixed his problems in V1.04p09.

Hi @lod3,
    sorry for the late response I somehow missed your post. Saving poses to the scene is not supported by UMotion as it is designed for saving the poses into animation clips.

16. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.05 was just released on the Asset Store

All new features are available in UMotion Pro and for free in UMotion Community.

Muscle Groups
    Easy editing of the Upper Body, Lower Body and Hands of humanoid characters by using convenient sliders. @daville you might want to check this out, as it's what you (and others) have requested in the past :)
    What's really cool about this is, that the Lower Body now offers a "Foot Roll" control out of the box. In UMotion Pro this can even be used in combination with IK and makes walk and running animations much easier.

Synchronizing the Frame Cursor with Unity's Animation or Timeline Window
    In the past quite a few users requested a convenient way to synchronize one animation to another (e.g. riding a bike - the player animation needs to be synchronized with pedal movement of the bike). Now you can play one animation using Unity (either via Timeline or via the Animation Window) and the one you want to edit using UMotion.
    This is also the first step of integrating UMotion into Timeline (for simplifying cut scene editing). More will be coming soon.

UMotion V1.05
    New or Changed Features
    • The "Muscle Groups Assistant" was added.
    • It's now possible to synchronize the frame cursor with Unity's Animation Window or Timeline Window.
    • A menu and a help button was added to all tool assistant windows.
    • Copy, Paste and Clear functionality was added to the Position, Rotation and Scale Tool Assistants.
    • The "Apply Bind Pose" and "Apply Scene Pose" buttons (Config Mode) now show a context menu to select if All, Position, Rotation or Scale should be reset.
    • "Select All" now selects also the hidden bones/transforms in Config Mode.
    • Improved error message that appears when the original imported model can not be found.
    • "Apply Reference Pose" now resets the position/rotation/scale to 0 in additive layers.
    • Added an error message when a humanoid bone is already defined in a humanoid UMotion project.
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed that quaternion continuity isn't esnured for the exported RootQ curves.
    • Fixed an exception by adding a warning message that appears when a humanoid avatar doesn't match the animated GameObject.
    • Fixed that canceling the "Add Animation Layer" and "Edit Animation Layer" dialog wasn't working.
    • Fixed that deleting an animation event doesn't work from within the context menu.
    • Fixed an exception when pressing the "Key Selected / All" shortcut when the Pose Editor was hidden while a new project was created.
    • Fixed that the rotation tool assistent isn't working correctly if an object has an active Child-Of constraint.
    • Fixed that bones are displayed with an invalid length if they have a translation applied before they are assigned to the Pose Editor.
    • Implemented a work around for a Unity GUI bug that appears on Mac OS when a message box is displayed when the current opened clip is changed.
    • Fixed that "Apply Reference Pose" doesn't work correctly when the bone/transform has an active Child-Of constraint.
    • Pose tools don't manipulate bones/transforms that are overridden by a higher layer anymore.
    • Pose tools don't manipulate bones/transforms when the selected layer is muted (or blend weight is zero).
    • Fixed that pose tools that affect the rotation don't work correctly when an additive layer was above the current layer.
    Manual Changes
    • Updated Tool Assistants chapter

Please let me know if you like the new features!

If you discover any problems, feel free to issue a support request on the official UMotion Support Q&A.

17. skinwalker

skinwalker

That's amazing!

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  18. redmugstudios

redmugstudios

Not sure if I'm missing something, but why is it that every time I move around the object, the bone that currently selected gets deselected. Then I have to select the bone again to continue animating it. Why is that?
    I know this is not how this works because I'm following the FPS animation tutorial.

I have made a GIF animation below.
    But Panning and Zooming using alt+middle mouse and alt+rightmouse button still works.

Attached Files:

19. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @silvershunt,
    thanks for reaching out and for recording this helpful GIF.

Currently any left mouse click performed in the scene view is deselecting (or selecting) bones independent if the "ALT" key is pressed or not. So when you use ALT + Left Mouse to rotate the camera this will indeed issue a deselect command. I agree that this behavior is not optimal and I will patch this.

Patch releases usually take ~2 working days to be reviewed by the Asset Store team. I can send you (and others that are interested) the patch immediately if you send me an email via the email support form. If you own UMotion Pro, please include your invoice ID.

Please use the UMotion Support Question&Answer (no login required) in the future so that we can keep this thread clean of support requests. This thread is intended for announcements and general discussions :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  20. redmugstudios

redmugstudios

Hey thanks.

I have a feature request:
    First is, would it be possible to leverage the Shift key to "restrict" the adjustment of keys on the Clip Editor to vertical or horizontal? I find that manually adjusting the key values (dragging the keys up or down) makes it a little difficult when you want to use the same frame number because sometimes you can accidentally drag the key on a different frame i.e maybe 1 or 2 frames ahead of the original frame number. The same case happens when adjusting key frame number (moving the key left or right) where now the key values itself might change if you drag it left or right.
    I think Unity Animation editor has this functionality already.

Second would be to have the capability to move to a different timeline on the Time slider without the animation frame updating. I'm not sure on other 3D packages, but you can do it on Autodesk Maya using the middle-mouse button. Clicking the middle-mouse button on different timeline of the Time slider will move the slider head to that timeline but it won't update the current animation frame. This allows you to create a new key frame while having a frame from a different timeline. Very very useful when doing holding keys, follow-thru and anticipations.

I hope the above makes sense :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  21. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @silvershunt,
    thank you very much for the feature requests.

Edit: I just noticed that you added a second request while I was already preparing my answer.

Feature 1:
    Yes, that is indeed something very useful. I will see if I can add this to the upcoming V1.06 release.

Feature 2:
    I agree, this would be a useful feature. I've put it on my internal "ideas for the future" list. Currently there are a few other features I'm working on for the next releases that have higher priority so I can't provide any schedule for this feature at the moment. I also need to check how much I would need to change in order for this to work (this feature might be a little bit against the current architecture of UMotion).

Thank you very much for the bug report. I was able to reproduce it and I will add a fix to the upcoming V1.06 release. If you notice any other issue please keep reporting them, I always appreciate bug reports.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  22. redmugstudios

redmugstudios

Awesome. Looking forward on those features! This keeps getting better and better.
    Love the muscle groups feature by the way.

23. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.06 was just released on the Asset Store

Weighted Tangents

Requires Unity 2018.1 (currently in Beta).
    giphy.gif

Place UMotion anywhere in your project
    This has been requested quite a few times and I've finally found a way to place the UMotion folder anywhere in your project. ( Fuzzy_Slippers this is what you've requested some time ago).
    Keeping UMotion in a folder that's called "Editor Default Resources" (that is placed as root in the "Assets" folder) still has the advantage that Unity ensures that nothing of UMotion ends up in your game's build.

UMotion V1.06
    New or Changed Features
    • Supports Unity 2018.1.
    • Added support for weighted tangents (requires Unity 2018.1 or higher).
    • The "UMotion Editor" folder can now be placed anywhere in your project's folder hierarchy.
    • Reduced performance footprint of the Muscle Groups Assistant.
    • Functions for animation events are now also found if Unity 2017.3 Assembly Definition Files are used.
    • Pressing SHIFT or ALT while dragging a key in the Curves View now constraints the movement alongside the value or time axis.
    • ALT + LEFT MOUSE BUTTON can now also be used for panning in the Dopesheet and Curves View.
    • Added a welcome screen that is shown when UMotion is started for the first time.
    • The zoom of "Focus Camera" is now smarter.
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed an exception that occurs when a key or event is already selected and is then clicked and dragged while CTRL is being pressed.
    Manual Changes
    • Updated the "Dopesheet / Curves View" chapter based on the latest implementation changes.
    • Updated the "Curves View" chapter based on the latest implementation changes.

Let me know if you like the new features!

If you discover any problems, please issue a bug report in the official Support Forum.

skinwalker likes this.
  24. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.07 was just released on the Asset Store

Unity Timeline Integration [Beta]
    Finally! Edit animation clips of a Unity Timeline sequence in UMotion Pro. Please note that this feature currently is considered as public beta meaning that I would love to get some feedback from you :) So if you're having an idea to improve the workflow, discovered a bug or just love it as it is, please let me know ;)

UMotionTimeline.gif

Please take a look at the new "Unity Timeline Integration" chapter in the UMotion manual. It will help you getting started.

Minimum required Unity version raised to 5.4
    The support for Unity 5.3 was deprecated. If you are still using Unity 5.3 please keep using UMotion V1.06p02.
    Don't have UMotion V1.06p02 anymore? --> Please contact me via the email support form (please include your invoice ID if you are a UMotion Pro user).

Workaround for GUI Layout issues on Mac OSX
    Unity's editor GUI layout system appears to be really buggy on Mac OSX often throwing exceptions when closing a Mac OS dialog (like a message box, a file open dialog,...). Even though I reported quite a lot of these bugs (and some of them have been fixed in Unity 2017.3.1 and Unity 2018.1) this problem is still so present that I had to implemented a more general workaround that now catches all these exceptions.

Long story short: If you are using UMotion on a Mac I strongly recommend updating to UMotion V1.07.

UMotion V1.07
    New or Changed Features
    • Support for Unity 5.3 is deprecated. Please use Unity 5.4 or higher or keep using UMotion V1.06p02.
    • GameObjects with "Optimize GameObjects" enabled are now automatically deoptimized to allow animation editing when applied to the Pose Editor. The changes are reverted as soon as the GameObject is removed from the Pose Editor.
    • Editing animation clips that are used in Unity Timeline (Sync --> Timeline Window --> Edit Selected Clip).
    • Selecting parent GameObjects of the current animated GameObject is now allowed.
    • It is now possible to play an animation on a parent object (e.g. a horse) using the Unity Timeline or Animation Window while the child object (e.g. a equestrian) is edited using UMotion.
    Bug Fixes
    • Installed a general workaround for Unity's GUI Layout bugs on Mac OSX.
    • Fixed that "Morph3D's" scripts throw exceptions when "Morph3d" character's are assigned to the Pose Editor.
    • Fixed that "Ultimate Water" throws an exception when a GameObject is assigned to the Pose Editor.
    • Added a workaround for a Unity GUI bug that throws an exception on Mac OS when the "Welcome Dialog" is closed by pressing the "Continue to Clip Editor" button.
    • Fixed compile errors when UMotion is included in a project that uses Beebyte's Obfuscator.
    • Fixed an exception that occurs when a GameObject uses an Avatar of a model that has "Optimize Game Objects" set.
    • Fixed an exception that occurs when deleting a UMotion project file while it's opened by UMotion.
    Manual Changes
    • Added a short description of the Sync button to the "Dopesheet / Curves View" chapter.
    • Added the "Unity Timeline Integration" chapter.
    • Added Known Issue 10.
    • Updated the description of Known Issue 09.

If you discover any problems, please issue a bug report in the official Support Forum.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Malbers, skinwalker, Lex4art and 2 others like this.
  25. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Hello,
    First off I love Umotion! It's the best animation tool on the asset store for sure! I'm just wondering if there is a way to deactivate a gameobject during the animation process?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

26. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @RealAspireGame,
    thank you very much for your nice words!

If you want to deactivate the GameObject also in the resulting animation, I recommend using a Custom Property Constraint. This component allows you to animate any property of your GameObject. So in your case, you would want to animate the "isActive" property. More information can be found in the manual ("Pose Editor --> Constraints --> Custom Property").

If you just want to deactivate the GameObject so that it is temporarily invisible during animating, you can do this but currently not from within UMotion.
    • Make sure that the GameObject is not assigned to the Pose Editor.
    • Select the transform that has the renderer (or SkinnedMeshRenderer etc.) component attached that you want to hide by deactivating the whole GameObject in the Inspector.
    • Re-assign the GameObject to the Pose Editor.
    Please let me know if you have any further questions.

PS: Am I allowed to "copy & paste" this question into the UMotion Support Forum? Other users might have the same question in the future and due to the search function in the support forum it might be easier to find it there.

Best regards,
    Peter

RealAspireGames likes this.
  27. RealAspireGames

RealAspireGames

Sure thing, you can copy and paste it no problem. Thank you greatly for the help!

28. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Attention, if you are using UMotion V1.07 in combination with Untiy 2017.1 you will get a compile error.

Update: Please download the latest UMotion version from the Asset Store to fix this issue.

The next update/patch will fix this out of the box.
    In the meantime: Fixing this problem yourself is rather easy so if you are affected, please take a look at this thread: https://support.soxware.com//354/is-inaccessable-due-to-protection-level-when-updated-to-1-07

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  29. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.08 was just released on the Asset Store

Supports "Scriptable Render Pipeline" (Unity 2018.1)
    The rig-rendering got a huge update thus ensuring compatibility with Unity's brand new Scriptable Render Pipeline. Use UMotion in Unity 2018.1 projects that use the new Lightweight or HD render pipeline.

Improved IK Solver
    The IK solver was redesigned now producing more stable results especially in combination with IK Pinning. All new UMotion projects automatically use the new IK solver.
    Existing UMotion projects (created in UMotion V1.07 and below) will keep using the old IK solver to ensure downwards compatibility (the new solver can theoretically produce slightly different results that may or may not be noticeable). Updating to the new IK solver is easy and is recommended:
    1. Open your UMotion project
    2. Switch into Config Mode
    3. Select all your IK Handles (in the Hierarchy tree view)
    4. Under the "Constraints" tab, disable "Legacy Mode"
      upload_2018-3-17_11-5-37.png
    5. Check your animations and perform small adjustments if necessary
    New Transform Shapes: Wire Box & Wire Sphere
    The IK Setup Wizard will now automatically configure IK handles as "Wire Box" and Pole Targets as "Wire Sphere". Giving a more consistent look compared to famous modeling applications (like Maya or Blender).
    upload_2018-3-17_11-0-18.png

You can manually change the shape of transforms in Config Mode (if you want to update your existing projects):
    upload_2018-3-17_10-57-23.png

IK Setup Wizard: New Default Values
    • "Target Rotation" is now set to "IK Handles" by default. That means that you need to rotate the "IK Handle" (= the cube) in order to rotate the "IK Target" (= the hand or the foot).
    • Pole Target generation is also enabled by default now.
    In my opinion the new default settings produce a better out of the box experience.

UMotion V1.08
    New or Changed Features
    • The algorithm of the IK Constraint was improved. The new constraint produces more stable results (less jitter). The new algorithm is automatically used when a new IK constraint is created. For compatibility reasons, old projects keep using the old implementation.
    • "Legacy Mode" property was added to the IK Constraint settings. Disable this property (in Config Mode --> Constraints tab) to use the new (more stable) IK algorithm.
    • The shape of transforms can now be changed in config mode. Available shapes: Solid, Wire Cube and Wire Sphere.
    • The IK Setup Wizard now automatically configures IK Handles to be displayed as "Wire Cubes" and IK Pole Targets as "Wire Spheres".
    • The IK Setup wizard now has "Create Pole Targets" enabled by default for human IK.
    • The IK Setup wizard now has "IK Handle" enabled by default for human IK "target rotation".
    • The rig rendering was reworked making UMotion compatible with Unity's new "Scriptable Render Pipeline" (introduced in Unity 2018.1).
    • The "Stick Deselected" color's default value was changed to gray. Additionally the color is now also used for dashed lines and wires.
    • The max. limit of the Size parameter for bones/transforms has been increased (Config Mode --> Properties and IK Setup Wizard).
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed an exception when assigning a humanoid GameObject to the Pose Editor that has multiple transforms named like the transforms that are used as bones.
    • Fixed that SkinnedMeshRenderers are always enabled when a GameObject is applied to the Pose Editor.
    • Fixed a compile error in Unity 2017.1.
    • Fixed an exception when clicking on the Sync button when a clip is selected in Unity Timeline in Unity 2017.1.
    • Fixed that the rotation tool (and assistant) isn't working correctly when a parent is set via the Child-Of constraint (or IK Pinning enabled).
    Manual Changes
    • Updated description of "Stick Deselected" color in the "Pose Editor / Options" chapter.
    • Added description of the Legacy Mode to the "Pose Editor / Constraint System / Inverse Kinematics" chapter.
    • Added description of the new Shape property to the "Pose Editor / Config Mode / Configuration" chapter.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    ocimpean, Malbers and Lex4art like this.
  30. cybersoft

cybersoft

Hi,

I am considering buying your asset but I would like to know if I could re-target not-humanoid characters and generic animations?

There is a movie and re-targeting of a tiger in order to use original generic animations but with 3Dsmax:

Cheers

31. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @cybersoft,
    thank you very much for your interest in UMotion.

Re-targeting of generic characters is not supported by UMotion. I think Unity had that on their road map but I can't find it anymore (maybe they removed it). Anyway, that's a really complicated feature and I currently don't have plans on implementing something like that. I'm sorry.

Best regards,
    Peter

32. cybersoft

cybersoft

Thank you for the quick reply. Anyway there are a lot of software for re-targeting like Auto-Rig Pro for Blender.

Your asset is great and I am going to buy it but I have to wait for sales. :)

33. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

I have a question. When using UMotion and creating an animation using FK and IK, at the end when the animation is completed and exported as a humanoid animation. Is all the animation information in FK? Or is the IK information also exported. My knowledge in this area is limited.

Regards.

34. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @JesterGameCraft,
    thanks for reaching out.

Yes all the IK information is baked into FK. That's similar to when using IK in a 3D modeling application like Blender or Maya and then import the animation into Unity. This has the big advantage that you don't need any CPU performance for the IK calculation in your game.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
    Peter

35. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Thank You. I did have another question.

I'll give an example. Imagine a character that is jumping up and down but is constantly looking at a spot of interest in front of the character at a distance away. So the head would keep a constant orientation and rotation towards that object. The head would have to rotate slightly up and down as the character is jumping to maintain that character is focused (looking) at the spot of interest. Would one go about creating a new node adding it to the head but a distance away from the head (where the object to look at is located) and then using IK?

36. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I guess the object of interest can move in-game so you will need a run-time solution for that. In UMotion create the regular jump animation (without head movement).
    For the in-game head movement you can use the Animator.SetLookAtPosition() if you're character is of type humanoid. Just pass the position of the object of interest. Here is a tutorial video that I've found: Unity 2017 Mecanim LookAtPosition using OnAnimatorIK()

37. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Thank You. I'll try this technique. I really like UMotion since it streamlines the process to changing animations a lot better then Skele. Just wanted to let you know that in Skele the task I ask about above is done in editor mode with a script, perhaps you want to look at that solution. In my case I can just combine both applications in this regard.

In case you want to make UMotion more wholistic you might want to implement something similar. Just giving a suggestion for further improvements, that's all.

38. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Another suggestion that would be handy is "Export Clip As" option so clips can be renamed when they are exported. Right now I'm renaming the clip each time I want a variation of the animation. Not sure if there is demand for that, just figured I mention it.

39. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I've added them to my "ideas for the future" list. I can't promise anything right now :)

40. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Hello,

I'm animating a character that has a prop in his hand (a wand). I need the character to have the wand so that I can get the hands animated properly. The wand will be a swappable item in the game.

When I add the wand to the hand and select the character object in the Pose Editor it imports the Wand information as well. Will this be a problem when I export the animation? Can I remove the wand before I do the clip export? What would you suggest?

Also when I place the wand in the hand before starting Pose Editor the wand is positioned correctly, but the moment I bring the model to Pose Editor the wand is pointing down in his hand. Even thought I have done nothing and am on a default Clip 1, please see images.

Thank You.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  41. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

42. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.09 was just released on the Asset Store

Extend UMotion with Custom Scripts
    I'm really excited about this feature. It allows you to extend UMotion with new custom constraints like a "Look At" constraint or you can even use other assets (like Final IK) inside UMotion. All that can be done via a simple callback method. Setup a callback method by opening the "Options" tab in the Pose Editor window. You can choose any name you like for the callback method, it will be automatically called on every component of your animated GameObject that implements that method right after UMotion updates the pose of the GameObject:

upload_2018-4-3_8-42-53.png

When your character is of type "humanoid" you can even bake the custom constraints into the exported animation saving precious CPU performance.
    Learn more by clicking on the black info button (in the UMotion UI).

Bug Fixes
    This release was more focused on bug fixes than on new features.

UMotion V1.09
    New or Changed Features
    • Added additional menu items to the "Window/UMotion Editor" menu: "Manual", "Video Tutorials" and "Contact Support".
    • Extending UMotion Pro's functionality is now possible via the callback system. This allows using e.g. FinalIK inside UMotion or writing new constraints (e.g. a "Look-At" constraint).
    Bug Fixes
    • Enabled the workaround for Known Issue 07 in Unity 2017.4.
    • Fixed that no error message is prompted when a name used for a custom IK target or custom IK pole target (in the IK Setup Wizard) is already taken by a humanoid bone.
    • Fixed that the warning message "Tiled GPU perf. warning: RenderTexture color surface was not cleared/discarded" is shown when Graphics Emulation is set to "OpenGL ES 2.0" and a GameObject is applied to the Pose Editor.
    • Fixed that the warning message "The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing" is shown everytime Play Mode is started after UMotion has been uninstalled.
    • Fixed that the "Reference Mode" popup button in the IK Setup Wizard was thicker than the "Target Rotation" popup button.
    • Fixed that starting Play Mode in Unity 2018.1 caused an exception when a UMotion window was opened.
    Manual Changes
    • Added "Extending UMotion" to the "Options" chapter.
    • Added an entry to the FAQ.

NFB_VM likes this.
  43. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Unite Berlin 2018
    (June 19th - 21th)

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking about participating Unite Berlin this year. Are any of you also going to participate? Would love to meet some of you in real life and am looking forward to some nice conversations :)

I think until April 18th there are still early bird tickets available.

Link: Unite Berlin 2018

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  44. Gaski

Gaski

Hi,

Nice work :)

I am interested in knowing whether UMotion will allow me to define custom curves with animations clips created with UMotion. I use this feature a lot when importing FBX files to add curves to my animations that can send data to other systems (such as to Animator Parameters).

45. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Gaski,
    thanks for your interest in UMotion.

Yes that is possible. Use the "Custom Property" constraint in "Animator Parameter" mode. Just add the "Custom Property" constraint to any of your bones/transforms (or create a new custom transform) in Config Mode. For more information, please take a look at the manual at "Pose Editor / Constraint System / Custom Property".

46. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.10 was just released on the Asset Store

Update now:
    UMotion Pro V1.10 | UMotion Community V1.10

Automatic Backup System

Automatically creates backups of your current opened UMotion Project in a defined interval (5 minutes per default). This protects your work from things like: Loss of power supply, unity crashes, exceptions, blue screens,...

All backups are stored at "<Unity Project Folder>/UMotionAutoBackups" (not inside the "Assets" folder!). By default, only the 5 latest backups per project are kept and backups older than 36 hours are automatically deleted. You can change these settings in the Clip Editor's preferences window (click on "Edit / Preferences").

By clicking on "File / Restore Project From Backup" you can restore any backup:

upload_2018-4-27_8-46-54.png

Pose Editor - "Channels" improved
    The "Channels" view in the Pose Editor was improved:
    • A search bar was added. Useful to filter channels by name.
    • The "Channels" view is now resize-able via a "resize" handle at the bottom.
    Both features are very useful when dealing with a bigger number of blend shape channels.

upload_2018-4-27_8-58-0.png

Complete Release Notes
    UMotion V1.10
    New or Changed Features
    • Added a backup system that automatically creates backups of the opened UMotion project (enabled by default).
    • The "Channels" section in the Pose Editor is now resizeable.
    • Added a search box to the "Channels" section of the Pose Editor.
    • Implemented an update/general notification system.
    • Added tooltips to settings shown in the preferences window.
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed various GUI layout exceptions when running in the Linux editor.
    • Fixed an exception when clicking on "Focus Camera" when no SceneView window exists in the current editor layout.
    • Fixed that "Focus Camera" doesn't make the SceneView window visible when hidden by another window.
    Manual Changes
    • Updated "Clip Editor / Preferences" chapter based on latest implementation changes.
    • Updated "Pose Editor / Pose Mode / Channels" chapter based on latest implementation changes.
    • Updated "Clip Editor / Menu Bar / File" chapter based on latest implementation changes.

If you like the new features, please let me know!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Lex4art likes this.
  47. optimise

optimise

Hi @SoxwareInteractive, does it supports rigging or I still need to use external software to do rigging?

48. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @optimise ,
    thank you very much for your interest in UMotion.

Rigging is currently not supported by UMotion. I would love to here your use-case for rigging inside Unity though. Do you want to rig a character that you have modeled inside Unity? Or have you purchased a model from the asset store that's not rigged?

49. optimise

optimise

@SoxwareInteractive I think most of the time I want to rig a character that I have modeled inside Unity or purchased from source other than Unity asset store. I would like to see something like Blender Rigify that able to generate rig template for you to rig character super easy. Or even better solution like Maximo that auto rig for you without any tedious manual work.

50. Hagyto

Hagyto

Thanks for this very helpful asset.

One suggestion and a question :)

Suggestion:
    Would it be possible to implement a visual feedback in the timeline which bone is selected currently?
    Something like this maybe?
    upload_2018-5-1_13-8-37.png

Question:
    There is no way to correct or manipulate the weightpaint of bones, right?