Search Unity

UMotion - Animation Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SoxwareInteractive, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

2. I've never been able to get a character rigged with Puppet3D to work correctly with UMotion. I went with Mixamo and it works perfectly.

2. Marks4

Marks4

Aw man don't say that :(. Whyyy. I wanted to buy Puppet3D. Rigging in Unity! So no Puppet3D integration, no Slate integration??

@SoxwareInteractive Can you support Puppet3D please? I'm sure you can do it in a blink of an eye!

3. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

If Puppet3D does the rigging correctly, it should make absolutely no difference if the model is rigged with a modeling application or inside Unity (the generated model data would be the same). So it might probably be more like an issue of Puppet3D cooking it's own soup (relying on custom scripts) instead of generating a "native" rigged model (pure speculation!). My tip: Try to use Unity's FBX Exporter (get it via Package Manager) and export the rigged model to *.FBX. The generated model should then be compatible with UMotion.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  4. jamieniman

jamieniman

Someone just pointed me to this forum.
    What issues were you getting? Have you tried export the skinned character out using Puppet3D (dae file - it works the same as an fbx). Then it can be set as a humanoid in the import settings

5. NathanielAH

NathanielAH

Getting the below error after upgrading to 2019.4.8f1. Deleted and re-installed UMotion. Still occurs.

Error: Could not load signature of ΊΊΉ... <removed due to forum blocking> due to: Could not load file or assembly 'UMotionSourceApplication, Version=1.0.7521.14758, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. assembly:UMotionSourceApplication, Version=1.0.7521.14758, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null type:<unknown type> member:(null) signature:<none>

6. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

This error is just a false alert generated by Unity. You can safely ignore it, it has no negative impact on the functionality of UMotion or Unity.

NathanielAH likes this.
  7. NathanielAH

NathanielAH

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

8. Volkerku

Volkerku

Question, I got two animation clips (Humanoid), but the root/hip have different orientations and positions. The chatacter is facing in different direction if one or the other animation is applied. I played with the root transform import settings, but there is still a noticable shift in position if transtition from one to the other clip.
    I tried to use Umotion Pro clip editor, importing both clips, and adding a layer to both. I was then adjusting the hip position and rotation (they are marked rm - rootmotion) in an override layer (also tried additive) for both clips so they are excatly the same.
    But after export of both clips, the position and orientation do not match.
    What do I do wrong?

9. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I've moved your support request to the official support forum: https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/624-problem-with-humanoid-root-positionorientation

Please comment there in case you have any follow-up questions (no account required).

10. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Umotion Pro user here...

Is it possible to export the clip between the playback in and out point?

I have these really long clips and I'd like to export several smaller clips from the longer clips-

For example can I just export what is between the in/out points here ?

The only way I was able to sort of accomplish this was to "crop to playback" then export but then I have to re-import the original clip and do it again which makes it a very slow process-

Is there a way to do this already? If not I'd like to request this feature.

Thank you for your time.

11. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi, I've moved your support request to the dedicated support forum and answered there: https://support.soxware.com/communi...he-clip-between-the-playback-in-and-out-point
    Please comment there in case you have any follow-up questions (no account required).

Attached Files:

12. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

13. sas67uss

sas67uss

Hi
    can you create a video tutorial for weapon reload with all of UM pro features like IK and child constraint then editing those reload clip for another weapon .
    I wanna create fps animations and I'm interested if with UM Pro can create and edit fps animations easy and fast .

14. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Sorry for my late reply. I've answered your question on the support forum thread you've thankfully already created: https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/653-fps-animations

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  15. davidjfranco

davidjfranco

Hey guys, I do enjoy Umotion but a bug i keep coming across using Umotion Pro in 2019.4Final is that sometimes if it doesn't like a clip import, it just removes it from your project altogether lol. Any ideas?

16. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi, I've moved your bug report to the official support forum: https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/675-bug-when-importing-animation-clip
    Please continue discussing this issue in the support forum thread linked above, as it allows us to have a clean "one thread per issue" approach.

17. DGordon

DGordon

Hey,

I just picked this up the other day. Going through the learning curve but so far very impressed. I've purchased quite a few assets over the years, including other animation stuff, and this seems very easy to

Quick question: Do you have any suggestions for how to handle cloth physics in animations? For example, if a character has a robe, or some other lose fitting garment (hanging sleeves, etc) ... is there any way to get that to conform nicely in an animation using this, or this + anything else that you know of?

I'm _very_ new to this and just exploring what's available, but it seems to me like any "caster" type of garment would have to be addressed with a real-time physics system right now, as opposed to baking it into an animation (ala the old caronte fx stuff which I own but became deprecated >.<), correct?

Man, what I'd give to have a physics simulation built into this for clothing :p.

18. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thank you very much for your nice words.

Runtime cloth physics are indeed probably the best solution for this. You would create regular animation clips that "ignore" the cloth in UMotion and then let Unity's cloth physics automatically simulate the cloth behavior at runtime for you. This is usually looking better/more realistic than baking the cloth physics into the animation. That way, the cloth would correctly react to player input (think of turning, animation blending,...).

DGordon likes this.
  19. TheSwanCollective

TheSwanCollective

Is it possible to export only the selected range of a UMotion Clip? I have imported a long MoCap sequence and only like to export a certain range.
    Thank you for the most important asset in the whole store!!!

20. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks, glad you like UMotion. One easy way is to crop the mocap sequence directly in the inspector of your original animation (select the *.fbx in Unity's project window --> open the animation tab in the inspector --> adjust the start/end time of your animation).

Of course you can also crop animations in UMotion: https://forum.unity.com/threads/umotion-animation-editor.490618/page-5#post-3757447

21. DGordon

DGordon

Thanks for the response.

To clarify my use-case though: I'm looking to use that more for enemies (where I dont need to worry about reacting to input, especially in what I'm working on, and I'm assuming it would be more performant) and also curious about using Unity HDRP for animation where it would be very beneficial to have that.

So theres still a definite place for it ... but I dont hold that against your product ;).

22. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Unfortunately I currently don't have plans to integrate a cloth simulation feature to UMotion. As of instead I'm more focused in developing/maintaining a solid feature base for the most common animation tasks.

Willbkool_FPCS and DGordon like this.
  23. p_hergott

p_hergott

So, ive been using umotion pro, and its great. Im just curious, like it can export fbx. So.... its like a... normal animation. And its in unity so, i can actually do it, i can animate in blender, but im not too use to blender. For doing like legit, sellable animations. Can umotion replace blender?

24. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

The *.FBX animations that UMotion creates are equal to *.FBX animations created in Blender or Maya etc. That means you can use the *.FBX also in any other engine or 3D software in general. So yes you can use UMotion instead of Blender or Maya for animating. Full fledged 3d software like Blender or Maya of course do offer more animation features though, but UMotion delivers all the basic features that you most commonly need.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

25. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80

Hi all, bought umotion for a long time, but first time use:p i using mixamo animation for my 3d model, but there a some weird pose of some bones that i want to fix especially on fingers. My question, i manage to fix the first keys of the fingers but i want to be able to delete all remaining "keyed" animation for that fingers bone. How can i quickly achieve this?

Thanks

26. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    nice to hear that you are using UMotion finally :)

Select the finger (in the scene view), this automatically scrolls to the finger's animated properties in the dope sheet. Then select the keys you want to delete in the dope sheet and click [Del].

In case you have any other or follow-up questions, please post on the official support forum (no login required, very easy to browse for existing answers): https://support.soxware.com Thanks.

hoyoyo80 and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  27. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80

Thanks...This tool really save of of time exporting back and forth. Thanks

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  28. frostymm

frostymm

I have also had UMotion for a while now and am just now transferring everything over from Akeytsu but I'm having issues importing my animations.

First I imported my animations and they loaded in, but with the wrong scale factor applied. So of course I deleted those, fixed the scale factor on the fbx and attempted to import them again. But now despite there being no clips in my UMotion project, it's adding back all the animation clip import attempts I've done cumulatively and renaming them during the import clips process.

Example:
    Import "Idle" clip
    Notice Import clips window shows "Idle" under animation clips:
    Delete "Idle" clip
    Optional: (Save project, restart umotion, restart unity, etc)
    Import "Idle" clip
    Notice Import clips window shows "Idle, Idle_1" under animation clips: (should just be 1 "Idle")

I'm currently at the point where I've got 22 instances that show up in that import window upon adding one file.

I'm on version 1.22p10 pro edition in unity 2019.4.12f1

Also, the "About UMotion" window automatically closes when I navigated away from unity to type out the version. Is that intentional?

I used UMotion very briefly for a while when I first got it but then realized Akeytsu didn't allow for importing animations. Having dealt with that for a bit now though, I can definitely appreciate some of the features UMotion has to offer!

29. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks for reaching out. I've moved your support request into the official support forum and answered there: https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/712-issues-importing-my-animations#comment-1012
    Please comment in the support forum thread to further discuss your issue (no account required). Thanks.

30. cubrman

cubrman

I've just lost 2 hours of work.

I've been editing my animation and did not export it when I saw that one of my vertices is skinned to the root. I reskinned the model, exported it and saved in my UMOTION project. Now I can't set it for my project:

upload_2020-11-19_19-17-4.png

upload_2020-11-19_19-17-11.png

Due to the fact that I can't set it for my project I cant export my animation. I tried creating a new project and dragging the old project into the new one through the "Import animation window" - it says the projects are incompatible.

All bones have the very same names. Both humanoid skeletons are configured exactly the same.

31. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    I've moved your support request to the official support forum and added my answer there. In case you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to comment in the support forum (no account required).

https://support.soxware.com/en/comm...le-with-existing-umotion-project#comment-1042

32. ironheadgames

ironheadgames

Hi, I created a Youtube tutorial using UMotion- free version to create VR Hand Animations for my Quidditch VR game tutorial series =>

Hope you like it! I loved UMotion and will use a lot in the future, too. Good job!

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  33. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Great video, love it. Also thanks for the nice words.

I've shared your video on my socials. If you do any further videos using UMotion, don't hesitate to share them with us.

34. cubrman

cubrman

Dude, do you plan on adding the ability to set keys for the animation layers' weights? I asked about it a year ago, I am sure there is already enough tools to do it, but it's still missing. Dude it's such a crucial feature - it will allow us to smoothly blend in and out any animation on any set of bones. Please add it.

35. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Hi Soxware! Whenever I check out Umotion every now and then on the asset store (I don't get to use it much because i was on a long break and learning HDRP) I just get mindblown about what it can do. I remember when there was only two tutorials and now you added two more and I learned some even more cool tricks I wish I'd known last year.

I will be soon re-entering editing animation with Umotion again and I want to know....
    I know Umotion can handle editing the animation of 1 character during playmode as you showed in the tutorials but I need to put together a fight sequence between two heroes because they will be hitting each other and I need to go back and forth between them two quickly. Does Umotion support this or do I have to import animation, edit it, export then clear umotion for player 1 and then select player 2, import animation, edit it, export and repeat for each small edit or is there a faster way?

General cutscene interaction between two characters like having 1 character put their shoulder over the other. hug, kiss, hit each other whatever it is are all essential needs and I wonder if umotion can do this?

36. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Currently in UMotion's architecture, all animated properties are "per UMotion project". Meaning they are the same on all animation clips in the current UMotion project. Animation layer's (and respectively their weight properties) are per animation clip, though. That would mean that it requires some really big changes to UMotion's current architecture to make this possible. Unfortunately due to the high amount of work this would need, I currently have no plans on adding such a feature in the near future. I'm sorry.

Please check out this answer I gave to a similar question: https://support.soxware.com/en/comm...ate-2-characters-at-the-same-time#comment-194

If you have any follow up questions, please comment in the support thread posted above (no account required). Thanks :)

37. trojant

trojant

I ran into this problem with it for UMA dynamic character,and the 'avatar' is generated at run time. The web link of your reply won't open.What should I do? Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  38. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

39. trojant

trojant

40. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

As mentioned in my previous post, please open a support request on the support forum (no account required). Maybe also add some additional information like a screenshot or a small repo project so that I can further assist you. Thank you very much.

41. RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

I'm having problems with the speed of the animation exported with the anim format, I tried as fbx but it doesn't work, with anim some animations work correctly, however when I create a layer the speed is out of control, even reducing the speed to 0.1 the animation is bad. What is happening?

42. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I've opened a support ticket on the official support forum. Please comment there (no account required!): https://support.soxware.com/en/communities/1/topics/781-exported-animation-has-different-speed

43. RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

RafaelGuimaraesBarbosa

Could someone help me with my animation, I have an animation where the character runs forward and stops, I need to repeat the same animations at 45º, 90º, 135º, 180º, -45º, -90º, -135º and -180º is there any way to modify the animations to go in these directions?

You can edit the Motion Q and MOTION T fields in Umotion. I need edit root motion curve to rotate direction from all my animation to go this angles.

44. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I've moved your support request to the official support forum and answered it there. Please comment there in case you have any follow-up questions: https://support.soxware.com/en/communities/1/topics/785-rotate-animation

45. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Exporting to FBX consistently crashes Unity (2020.2) on a Mac. Any work arounds?

Editor log says

Code (CSharp):
    1. Error [ERR_STREAM_DESTROYED]: Cannot call write after a stream was destroyed
    Exporting to .anim works fine, but that won't do for my use case.

I can still sort of export to .fbx (the export happens fine, sometimes), just restarting Unity all the time is a pain.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  46. Gatskop_Software

Gatskop_Software

Please help sorry my English is not the best I did create a couple of poses as anim files, how can I drag a character on a scene and change the character t-pose to the custom pose without playmode.

47. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

48. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.23 was just released on the Asset Store

ATTENTION: It is highly recommended to remove the "UMotionEditor" folder of a previous UMotion installation before performing this update, otherwise you are going to end up with duplicated files.

Update now: UMotion Pro V1.23 | UMotion Community V1.23

This is a big Quality of Life update. All of the following improvements have been requested by the community and are aimed to make working with UMotion and it's existing features easier. Please note that I get far more feature requests than I'm able to implement, but please be ensured that all of your requests are heard and are carefully prioritized.

Let's look at some highlights of this update.

FBX Exporter Improvements
    The FBX Exporter was updated to the latest version of the FBX SDK. That means that FBX 2020 files are now supported. Furthermore, the same custom FBX plugin that is used on Windows is now used on Mac. This fixes the crashes some people where experiencing when exporting to FBX on Mac and also enables feature parity between Windows and Mac. The FBX exporter support for Windows 32-bit was dropped (due to Unity not longer supporting Windows 32-bit).

Added "Zero Property" to the channels context menu
    This is especially useful when working with an additive animation layer. Because quaternion based rotation values can't be edited directly (they are 4-dimensional and thus hard to imagine), the "Zero Property" menu item is an easy method of setting the rotation offset to zero (i.e. no offset applied to the base animation). Can also be used for other properties of course (like position, scale,...).
    upload_2021-1-14_11-26-11.png

Shortcut support for tool assistant's clear/copy/paste
    You can now assign shortcuts for the tool assistant menu entries "clear", "copy" and "paste".
    upload_2021-1-14_11-24-27.png

Improved enum support for animation events
    When your animation event function expects an enum parameter, UMotion now shows a popup menu with all enum values of the expected enum type.
    upload_2021-1-14_11-32-6.png

Display controls stay enabled while playback
    The display controls (and it's shortcuts) now stay enabled while previewing your animation. Thus it's now possible to e.g. toggle the bone visibility while playing the animation.
    upload_2021-1-14_11-36-15.png

Double click animated properties to select all their keys
    If you now perform a double click on an animated property, all it's keys are automatically selected.
    upload_2021-1-14_11-40-20.png

Complete Release Notes
    This post highlights only a few of the new improvements. Please refer to the release notes for a complete list of changes.
    UMotion V1.23
    New or Changed Features
    • Updated the FBX SDK to 2020.0.1. This thus adds compatibility with FBX files created with FBX version 2020.
    • The Mac version of UMotion now uses a the same custom FBX library as the windows version of UMotion. This solves the random crashes that the old library had and also adds feature parity between the Mac and Windows version.
    • Dropped support for FBX export on Windows 32-bit. Use a Windows 64-bit PC instead.
    • Exporting animation clips can now be aborted.
    • Decreased the lowest zoom limit in the dopesheet/curves view so that a whole animation with 1-2 minutes of length can be displayed.
    • The constraints panel now displays a hint in case no bone/transform is selected.
    • The name of the "Apply Reference Pose" button is now switched to "Apply Zero Offset Pose" when the current layer is an additive layer to better indicate the buttons functionality in this case.
    • When the "Set FK to IK" button is pressed when an IK handle is selected, all FK bones of the corresponding IK chain are now automatically manipulated. It is thus not needed to select every bone manually.
    • The context menu of the channels view now has a new menu item "Zero Property". This is especially useful to reset quaternion based rotations (of which the channel values can't be edited directly).
    • Double clicking an animated property (in the animated properties list) now selects all keys of this property.
    • The display controls are not disabled anymore while an active animation playback.
    • It is now possible to assign shortcuts to the clear/copy/paste menu items of the tool assistant windows.
    • Reworked the error message that is shown when a generic animation is imported that is not compatible with the current animated GameObject.
    • Animation events now show an enum popup when the selected function's parameter type is an enum.
    • Improved the open and save file dialog windows. This dialog windows now remember the last selected location so that when you want all your UMotion projects in one specific folder, the file dialogs always defaults to that folder.
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed that word wrap is not enabled for the description in the mirror mapping dialog window.
    • Fixed a null reference exception that is thrown when importing an animation clip with the "Convert FK to IK" and "Delete FK keys" settings beeing enabled when the current UMotion project contains an IK constraint with the target object field being null.
    • Fixed that the "Close" button was only partly visible in the settings window on Mac.
    • Fixed an error message "Cancelling Display Dialog : This should not be called when a View's DrawRect Method is in progress." shown when trying to open the clip editor but UMotion misses some resources.
    • Fixed that the OK button was only partly visible in the preference's window's settings tab on Mac.
    Manual Changes
    • All manual pages are now in the root folder of the manual. This solves an issue with Safari not displaying sub pages correctly.
    • Added a description of the new "Zero Property" menu item to the "Pose Editor-> Pose Mode -> Channels" chapter.
    • Added a description of the new enum popup feature for animation events to the "Clip Editor -> Dopesheet / Curves View -> Dopesheet" chapter.
    Let me know if you like the new update. If you discover any problems, please issue a bug report at the official Support Forum.

AcidArrow likes this.
  49. Jaimi

Jaimi

Why no source? I'm getting people complaining that they can't use UMA and UMotion together. Thought I would take a look, but my pro version has no source. Now that UMAs are visible in the editor, people want to animate them.

The error is "Only Avatars created by Unity's model importer are supported".

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  50. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

This is an answer I gave on the support forum that explains how to use UMA characters with UMotion (it's in the second half of the answer): https://support.soxware.com/en/communities/1/topics/222-changing-the-skin#comment-245
    In case you have any follow up questions, please either open a new thread in the support forum or comment in the support forum's thread that I've just posted (no account required to post in the support forum).