Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMotion - Animation Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SoxwareInteractive, Aug 26, 2017.

1. ash4640

ash4640

hi I recently purchased Umotion pro and I'm just a beginner level animator, I'm experimenting with an idea of building a game with lots of animations. I have kind of weird question here.

I have been watching the Umotion videos and understood that / or my understanding might be wrong
    - editing the animations created outside unity by using Umotion plugin inside unity using timeline
    - a complete character can be rigged from start using Umotion i(is this true)
    - Child of Parent for the character to pick and interact with objects
    - Animation layers
    - Mocap animations support
    - Convert animations to IK

What my mobile game requires is I create few characters in blender and few I models I have purchased, all are not rigged. I want to get them into unity, rig them and animate them completely and use some mocap animations purchased from asset store for complex animations.
    what I'm asking is do I need now to look at Animation Ik another solution for animation, or I can just manage my animation workflow with Umotion basically. Saw some tutorial videos of it and It can basically do these
    VRIK
    Baker
    Full Body Biped IK, Biped IK
    CCD IK, Multi-effector FABRIK
    Look-At IK
    Aim IK, Leg IK, Limb IK
    Rotation Limits, Grounder, Interaction System

What I want to know is with Umotions can we
    - rig a character from start (even I'm not sure if Animations IK can do this or have to look at Puppet 3D? as I'm still new to Unity figuring out the animations tools)
    - optimize / bake animations,
    - grounder kind of grounding the character to terrain, Vr based IK.
    As rest of the features look similar.
    Not for comparison reason, but want to make sure so whether I can manage with Umotions as one single solution, now that I have it or I can also but Animations IK and use noth together to complement each other.

2. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @ash4640,
    thanks for your interest regarding UMotion.

You can create new animations or edit existing ones by importing them into UMotion.

No this is not supported. You need to do your rigging either in your 3D modeling software or use automatic rigging tools like Mixamo (check it out, it's free).

Yes that's all supported. Please note animations can only reference to objects that are already part of your character's hierarchy. You can't animate things that are not a child of the Animator component.

If you already created them in blender, then I recommend you to also rig your models in Blender. Rigging in Blender is very easy. Like I said before, you can also use automatic services like Mixamo, but the manual approach gives you more control --> better results.

UMotion allows you to create animation files (*.anim or *.fbx). It's like if you would do your animating in Blender but instead integrated right inside Unity. While you can use IK to create your animations, the IK is then baked into the exported animation. If you want to use IK during runtime (e.g. adjust feet to ground height,...) you need to use a runtime IK asset/script like one of those you mentioned. Run-time IK is usually used on top of a regular animation.

This is not supported, see my description above.

Yes you can modify existing animations to your needs. If you want to optimize the file size I recommend exporting your animation to *.fbx and then use the compression settings to let Unity reduce the file size.

This requires you to use runtime IK. There are lots of different solutions (Unity's built in IK, 3rd party assets,...).

Please let me know in case you have any follow-up questions.

3. ash4640

ash4640

Thanks SoftwareInteractive
    I got pretty much the answers I need, I was watching some more Tutorials, I think I'm going to enjoy animating with Umotion inside Unity, great utility.
    What I'm understanding is the I can just rig a character in blender and get it directly into Umotion and start animating in the timeline from scratch and I can export the animated model as an fbx file.
    Just couple of things that Umotion cannot manage I understand from the answers are
    - Umotion is not a runtime IK asset so I cannot animate the character to being ground aware.
    - I cannot, for example, adjust the alignment of a character holding a weapon? not sure on this and bake that animation
    Yeah just a few things Umotion cannot handle, for that, I will check the tools I mentioned.
    As my character basically needs to wield weapons and fight with them etc.
    But I think I can manage most of my animation work with Umotion, thanks for the quick response.

4. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Correct.

Correct. You would use UMotion to create the regular walking animation and a runtime IK asset to adjust the walking animation to match with the ground at runtime.

You can make two handed gun animations (where you e.g. pin both hands to your gun) in UMotion. But the exported animation won't adjust to any runtime information (e.g. if you want your upper body to automatically rotate at where you are aiming). So basically the same as above, you would create a regular gun holding animation in UMotion and then use runtime IK on top for the aiming.

I hope this highlights the difference between an animation and a runtime effect. Let me know if you have any further questions.

5. JakartaIlI

JakartaIlI

Hello, I have a question.
    How to make an animation where one person grabs and move the shoulder of another.
    I have synced two characters, but I can’t assign a parent to the IK hand, because the second character is outside the parent object.
    Do I need to do any intermediate objects inside the first character?
    Thanks.

6. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    I've answered your question on the official support forum: https://support.soxware.com/communi...erson-grabs-and-moves-the-shoulder-of-another
    Please comment there (no login required) if you have some follow-up questions.

Best regards,
    Peter

7. bobAZ2019

bobAZ2019

hi,

i just got this Umotion and want to animate a character to a dance steps. what's the best approach to achieve this?

TY

8. Amo-deus

Amo-deus

Hello! I just bought this Asset and it seems great so far! I'm having an issue. When I import the run animation from the free basic motions package into the pose editor assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/animations/basic-motions-free-pack-154271 . The legs and arms seem to get automatically adjusted to be much closer together than the original animation. Am I missing some import setting?

9. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    thanks for reaching out. I recommend using IK (use the IK Setup Wizard) combined with IK Pinning. IK Pinning is going to make it easy to keep one foot at place while moving the rest of the body. Here are the related video tutorials about how these features work:
    UMotion Pro - Inverse Kinematics
    UMotion Pro - Child-Of Constraint (<-- watch this before the IK Pinning tutorial)
    UMotion Pro - IK Pinning

Please note that creating animations is very artistic. So if your question is more like "How to create a good looking dancing animation?" then I'm afraid there isn't really a good general answer for it (similar to "How to paint a good looking picture?" isn't a question that can be answered very well).

Hi,
    try to disable the "Animator Hand IK" in the import settings. This blog post of Unity describes what this feature is all about (see headline "Original hands and feet position"): https://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/26/mecanim-humanoids/

10. Tbone57X

Tbone57X

Is anything crucial stored in the root UMotionData folder?

Just wondering if it's ok to ignore the folder in source control. I'd like to use the backup system locally, without committing the Backup/EditorUndo files. Seems fine, just wanted to be sure.

11. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Two things are stored in the "UMotionData" folder:
    1. Automatic backups
    2. The undo/redo stack of your current editor session
    It is recommended to ignore the whole folder in your source control. If you want you can also ignore the "Data" folder inside the "Assets/UMotionEditor" folder. It also contains information about the undo/redo stack and stores the "recently opened UMotion project's" - list.

Tbone57X likes this.
  12. mkgame

mkgame

All kind of setting dialogs crashes in a bigger project. Works in an empty project. Unfortunately source code is not available.

Backtrace: (In UmotionApplication.dll the second symbol name is a bad name in Unity forum, so I had to cut it out in the backtrace... Change it !!!)

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingMemberException: Can't find internal type ContainerWindow. Maybe something has changed inside Unity
    2. [Bad named symbol] () (at line:49)
    3. [Bad named symbol] (Rect  (at line:81)
    4. (Vector2UnityEditor.EditorWindow , System.String  (at line:153)
    5. Boolean  UnityEditor.EditorWindow  (at line:71)
    6. [Bad named symbol] (Boolean) (at line:176)
    7. [Bad named symbol] () (at line:545)
    8. UnityEditor.GenericMenu.CatchMenu (System.Object userData, System.String[] options, Int32 selected) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/GenericMenu.cs:121)
    Is there a way to change the settings in the inspector or in a readable file? The animation export folder must be set, which forces to open the settings dialog. So, can I set this folder by hand somehow? The main things in this asset works fine: creating animation and etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  13. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks for reaching out.

I highly recommend that you try to delete the complete UMotion installation (excluding your UMotion project's of course) and then re-install it again from the asset store. If that doesn't work then yes you can also change the settings directly by opening your UMotion project's *.asset file in a text editor. Search for "ExportDestinationPath". Please note that this requires that you have "Asset Serialization" set to "Force Text" in Unity which is the default setting btw. (see link).

If you need further assistance, please open a dedicated support forum thread on the official support forum (no login required): https://support.soxware.com

14. mkgame

mkgame

Thanks!

I do not install packages in my main project. Crazy things can happen! I always install the assets in a second project and prepare it for deployment in my main project. I tested the same copy in my main project and in my empty project. My main project crashes and my empty project not. The reason seems to be that your asset crashes because of an another asset in my project. Maybe I have to rebuild my library directory, but that takes a day.

Do you know what causes the crash, could you post the last call in your code? Can you skip that call? I think your code is not good enough here for Unity :), because the main windows works fine, just these sub-windows have the crash.

"Asset Serialization" set to "Force Text" would apply to all assets... Could you show that attribute, or in the inspector?

15. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Please reproduce the exception and when it is thrown, please click on the "Issue Bug Report" button of the appearing dialog window. Please fill out the web form (you only need to add information that I don't already have via your previous posts). This automatically sends me the complete stack trace so that I can further trace down the issue.

You can copy the file to an empty Unity project where "Asset Serialization" is set to "Force Text". Unity should convert it to text then. After modifying, you can copy it back to your main project.

16. mkgame

mkgame

You have the bug report with the stacktrace. I think it's not a big deal, because just the sub-windows have the crash.

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  17. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Hey @SoxwareInteractive,
    I am looking to modify some animations to be used in the Kinematica preview and am wondering if uMotion Pro (already own) will do it or if Animation Converter is also required. Also looking some guidance on the order I should do everything in to get the best result. Here is a longer explanation:

I have humanoid movement animations (Idles, starts, move looops, stops) for a humanoid character. I need them converted to generic (Kinematica does not support humanoid) for a different skeleton. I also need to join multiple animation clips together as Kinematica requires >1s clip lengths with buffers on either end.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the way I see it right now I need to use uMotion to join the clips and then animation converter to convert to generic after?

Thanks,
    Colton

18. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    I haven't looked into Kineamtica yet. Is it possible to temporarily configure the "Kineamtica generic rig" to "humanoid"? This would be needed in either way.

If this is possible, then the following workflow should work (you can just use UMotion Pro):
    1) Configure the Kinematica rig (or a duplication of it) to humanoid.
    2) Create a new UMotion project of type humanoid and drag an instance of the Kinematica rig into the Pose Editor.
    3) Import the humanoid animations.
    4) You can join multiple clips by copy and pasting the key frames.
    5) Export your animation to fbx: Make sure to set "Write Mode" to "Update Existing File" and select the duplicated Kinematica rig as destination file in the export settings.
    6) Change the Kinematica rig fbx (that you used as animation export destination) to "generic".

Exporting to a generic *.anim is also possible, let me know in case you need that for some reason.

Best regards,
    Peter

19. Dorumeka

Dorumeka

Hi, I'm at a loss here. Sorry if not 100% strictly related to this asset, but how do you go about setting up a rig that allows for IK pinning of a foot and toes? I'm talking about something like what's shown here (at 2:49):

I've read the docs and watched the tutorials, and there's no guide for how to do this with UMotion.

I have UMotion Pro, in case it matters.

20. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    I've answered your support request on the official support forum: https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/524-how-to-create-an-advanced-foot-roll-ik-rig

Please comment there in case you have any follow-up questions (no login required).

Dorumeka likes this.
  21. EternalDeathSlayer3

EternalDeathSlayer3

Hey, I'm having an unusual issue - while working on an animation, randomly I cannot select bones/transforms in the scene view. Sometimes it works if I click nearby the bone or a little underneath it, so it's as if the scene view isn't registering the mouse position correctly. Has anyone had that happen or know a fix?

22. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

Can someone tell me how to integrate umotion with final ik. I need to bake animations from CCDIK with rotation limits. (a non- humanoid character.

23. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I got this bug reported from others too, but I never managed to get this reproduced on my end: https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/157-cant-select-joints-and-bones-in-scene-view
    What I would need in order to fix this would be a Unity project and some instructions how I can reproduce this issue. If it only happens randomly, you could also try to record your screen while you are working with UMotion and then as soon as the issue happens, stop recording and send me the last few minutes of the recording. Maybe I find a pattern.

Please comment in the thread posted above (no account required) if you have any questions or further information so that we have every information collected at one place.

You just need to tell UMotion to execute FinalIK. You can do this via the UMotion callback system. Please check out the UMotion manual at chapter "Pose Editor / Options" headline "Extending UMotion".

chrisabranch likes this.
  24. Petskus

Petskus

Hi,
    can I use UMotion to create bones?
    Is it possible to do this programmatically?

25. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    thanks for your interest in UMotion. Yes you can create bones but you can't skin those bones (i.e. you can't assign mesh vertices to it). These type of bones are useful for creating complex animation rigs. You can not create those bones via code and these bones are edit-time only.

Please let me know in case there is anything else you want to know.

26. SnaiperoG

SnaiperoG

Hello, i have pro version and i have a question. How i can use ik rotation? There is no rotation ik pole on my Channels panel. Im trying to animate hands with gun with UMotion, and when i rotate hand by IK, i cant rotate other bones and as a result i have overlap\stretch faces. How should i figure out this?

27. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    I moved your support request to the official support forum:
    https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/530-how-i-can-use-ik-rotation

Please comment there in case you have any follow-up questions (no account needed).

28. Corvostudio

Corvostudio

Hello. I have a problem with Avatar Masks when using Child-Of Constraint.
    Basically i have a "itemPos" transform on my haracter prefab, that I animated using UMotion. I need to pass weapons from an hand to another in some animations, and it works correctly using child-of constraint.
    Problem is, I need to apply an Avatar Mask to animate only the upper part of the body, so my character can move while for example reloading. This gives me issues since itemPos got masked too, and I have no idea how to include it on the Avatar Mask. Thank you for helping me in advice.

Attached Files:

29. Corvostudio

Corvostudio

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  30. silentslack

silentslack

Hi,

I seem to be getting the 'Unapplied Modifications' dialogue popping up everytime I want to change frame after setting a couple of keys. I'm a little new to UMotion, is this expected behavior?

Thanks, Jake

31. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi Jake,
    if you modified the pose of your character at the current frame and haven't saved (= "keyed") the changes to your animation clip yet, then UMotion is showing you that there are unsaved changes on the current frame with this dialog. Bones that are displayed in red contain contain such changes. By default you have to create keys for your changes manually using e.g. the "Key Selected" button. But you can also let UMotion automatically key your changes for you by setting "Auto Key" to "Generate". This is the related section in the quick start tutorial:

32. heXzoN

heXzoN

Hello, I encountered strange behavior - when creating animations with uMotion everything works fine except for both thumb bones.
    For some reason something from animation is not applying to that bones, in other words when playing animation in game -> right and left thumb bones are not following animation correctly.
    I've tried in different humanoid characters (both with IK and without), started new project and all result are the same.
    Here is a quick example screenshots done in new project in Unity 2019.3.
    Made simple animation in uMotion Pro with both hands to demonstrate the issue:
    a) this is how I want animation to look https://gyazo.com/0540b8e48d19b60be3371358e7105c53
    b) this is how animation looks in game https://gyazo.com/7dde30b64b73b40c4ad8d323cb8d2bce
    As you can see from screenshots: right thumb is completely off from animation, left thumb is somewhat missing rotation.
    Can you assist me to understand why is this happening and how to fix it?

33. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I've moved your support request to the official support forum:
    https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/557-humanoid-animation-strange-thumb-orientation

Please comment their in case you have any follow-up questions (no account required).

34. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

In order to create keys, select the bone you want to "key" and click on the "Key Selected" button in the Pose Editor. The shortcut is the "Return" key. You can also set "Auto Key" to "Generate" to automatically create keys as soon as you modify a bone.

I'm sorry for the fast clicking in the video tutorials, thanks for the feedback. Have you also checked out this video tutorial, it's the very first of the whole tutorial series and it also describes how to create keys etc.:

Btw. the manual has a nice overview of all video tutorials (in acceding difficulty order) in the "video tutorials" chapter.

35. SLASH24

SLASH24

Hi There ! I would like to understand how to properly make use of UMotion Pro, along with Final-IK. I mainly aim to take advantage of Final-IK's "Biped IK Solvers" to create the key poses needed by the animations even more easily & faster. I've tried to add the CallBack "UpdateSolver" as mentioned in the docs... but didn't see any changes... please help !

36. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I've moved your support request to the official support forum:
    https://support.soxware.com/communi...y-make-use-of-umotion-pro-along-with-final-ik

Please comment in the support thread linked above (no account required) in case you have any follow-up questions.

37. maksimszigunovs007

maksimszigunovs007

Hi! Is there any way to import animations from fbx file? I have only fbx file with animations I need to edit.

38. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    yes this is possible. Just select the fbx file in the import animation dialog. Make sure that the fbx file is configured correctly: If your character is configured as humanoid, the fbx animation also needs to be humanoid. If your character is of type generic, then the fbx animation also needs to be generic (and must use exactly the same armature/rig as your character!).

39. Janoooba

Janoooba

I put in a feature request about a month ago for this, but I'm wondering if there is any way to work around it until the feature maybe gets implemented.

https://support.soxware.com/communities/1/topics/552-separate-animation-export-into-multiple-objects

I've been doing all of my animating for my first person view model in UMotion and I've been loving it so far, but not being able to export separate parts of the hierarchy has put a dead stop on my workflow.
    I need to animate the weapon and arms together in order to do things like pulling the slide back, but I need them exported as separate animation files so I can have separate animation states for each, like using one "Fire" animation for the arms, but one of two "Fire" animations for the weapon (one when the gun fires normally, and one when the gun fires the last round). As it is now, I have to do an animation variation for each possible state, which quickly balloons out of control.

Can you think of any way I can do this in the current version of UMotion, or am I SOL for now?

40. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

If you are using a single animator component (for both the arms and the gun) you could use an avatar mask which allows you to mask the arms or the gun of the combined animation clip.

You can also split animations manually:
    1. Duplicate the exported animation clip.
    2. Open the animation clip and delete all the gun related keys.
    3. Open the second animation clip and delete all the arm related keys.
    If you are using 2 separate animator components, you would also need to correct the transform paths (which are always relative to the transform the animator component is assigned to). You can do this by opening the *.anim file with a text editor and edit the transform paths there. Of course you can also do all that via scripting, please check the Unity manual.

41. Janoooba

Janoooba

Thank you! I would prefer to use a separate animator component. I didn't know I could open the .anim file as plain text so I should be able to write a script to clean things out for me. That helps a lot. Thanks!

42. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Fyi: There is a dedicated Unity API for accessing the *.anim file data, there is no need for your script to modify the yaml based text of the *.anim file directly.

43. LTYE

LTYE

I have a model on my scene with generic animation that I wish to edit but when dragging to the pose editor I get the message that it is not humanoid. I have edited generic models before with umotion so what is creating this issue and can it be fixed? I don't want to change the model to humanoid rig.

Attached Files:

44. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

When creating your UMotion project file for your character, select "Generic" instead of "Humanoid":
    upload_2020-7-28_17-30-58.png

LTYE likes this.
  45. Mario167100

Mario167100

Quick question, I've recently bought Umotion and I wanted to test out the IK feature in timeline. I attempted to sync up the two windows, but it appears that nothing is being recorded in the timeline window when I move my character around. I wanted to know If I'm doing something wrong.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      409.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      469.5 KB
      Views:
  46. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

When synced with Unity timeline, you still create the animation inside UMotion (you don't record it via Unity timeline or Unity's animation window). Then you (re-)export your animation (and place it in your Unity timeline chart in case you're not editing an existing animation). Whenever you want to edit the animation again, you select it in Unity timeline and then in UMotion click on "Sync --> Timeline Window --> Edit Selected Clip".

If you want to record your animation in UMotion, just set "Auto Key" to "Generate". You can also create keys manually via the "Key Selected" button (please watch the quick start video tutorial for a quick overview).

More information can be found in the manual's chapter "Unity Timeline Integration" and the following video shows the feature in action:

If you have any follow-up questions, please post on the official support forum (no account required): https://support.soxware.com

47. Radivarig

Radivarig

Any news on the fbx exporter for Linux?

48. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

The problem is, that the fbx SDK uses an old version of the GCC compiler which I never got to run under nowadays Linux versions. So unless Autodesk updates their fbx SDK to use an up-to-date compiler version, I unfortunately can't ship a Linux version of the fbx export feature...

49. Marks4

Marks4

1. Can you work together with the Slate guys to offer integration? Slate is the best timeline tool out there, way better than Unity's. Pretty please offer integration <3.
    2. Does it work with Puppet3D?
    3. How does it compare with FinalIK? I saw that FinalIK also animates skinned models. But it seems they do it with scripts to do specific things. So umotion pro is something more generic?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  50. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    thanks for reaching out.
    1. I currently have no plans to integrate UMotion in Slate because Unity Timeline is very commonly used and UMotion integrates very well into Unity Timeline. I'm sorry.
    2. I'm not sure honestly. You might want to try it yourself, but please be warned that UMotion has no official Puppet 3D support. If you just want to auto rig a biped character, you can try the free service Mixamo. Mixamo works great with Unity (generates a humanoid compatible rig) and also with UMotion.
    3. Final IK offers various runtime inverse kinematic scripts. UMotion on the other hand let's you create pre-authored animation clips like Blender, Maya. You then often use runtime IK scripts on top of those pre-authored animations to change the animation during runtime to adapt at runtime conditions (e.g. place a hand on a steering wheel controlled by the player). Hope this makes sense, let me know if not.

Plaximo and Marks4 like this.