Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMotion - Animation Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SoxwareInteractive, Aug 26, 2017.

1. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion is a powerful Animation Editor for animating any type of 3D model right inside Unity. Reduce development time by fine tuning animations even while being in play mode.

Important: Don’t use this forum for technical support. Please use UMotion Question&Answer (no account required, all questions are answered by myself and the community).

UMotion Community - FREE

Check it out on the Asset Store: UMotion Community

UMotion Professional

Check it out on the Asset Store: UMotion Professional

Key Features
    [PRO] Import Mocap and 3rd Party Animations (from the Asset Store or any modeling application)
    [PRO] Export Animations to *.FBX
    [PRO] Animation Layers

[PRO] Constraint System (Inverse Kinematics, Child-Of and Custom Property)
    [PRO] Convert Animations to IK
    Bone Animations (useful for characters, creatures,...)
    Transform Animations (useful for not rigged models like most guns on the Asset Store)
    Animate in Play Mode (play the game, pause to edit the animation and continue playing)
    Humanoid, Generic and Legacy Animations
    Root Motion
    Animation Events
    Detailed Documentation
    Video Tutorials
    ► ...​

Tutorials
    UMotion has detailed video tutorials in a similar style to Unity's. The videos are organized in several chapters, spoken in English and have English subtitles (in case you can't understand me well enough). I recommend watching the videos from within the UMotion Manual (chapter "Video Tutorials") as it links to the appropriate pages in the manual.

"UMotion Tutorials" - Covers all general features of UMotion Community and UMotion Professional.
    "UMotion Tutorials (Pro)" - Covers all UMotion Professional exclusive features.
    "UMotion In Practice" - A new tutorial series where I'm showing typical use cases
    I'm social
    Your feedback and feature requests are highly appreciated whether in this forum thread or on any of my social channels. :)

This thread is replacing the old Work in Progress Thread.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Lex4art and TeagansDad like this.
  2. coverpage

coverpage

Can't wait :)

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  3. neoshaman

neoshaman

How does it differ from skele or simply using unity's animator (especially for free)?

4. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

Lol I forgot about that one, didn't realize it was the same! I'm mostly refereing as to what it does differently, what are the differenciation, what is the added value, not just what's best lol. Ie what's the unique selling point?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

There isn't something like THE unique selling point. UMotion is a complete animation editor supporting all common animation editing features known from your favorite modeling application integrated right inside Unity. It supports every Unity animation type (humanoid included) and animating during edit and play mode thus greatly reducing development time by eliminating the need of any back-and-forth switching between Unity and your modeling application. That is something, yet not available on the Asset Store.

Comparing UMotion with e.g. Skele by their feature list wouldn't make much sense as it is not a specific feature that makes UMotion unique, it is it's completeness in terms of workflow that makes it such a great product.

TeagansDad likes this.
  7. roykoma

roykoma

8. nomax5

nomax5

Hi
    I have a question: Basically I want to make a realistic 1st person game where the player character model has a camera mount which is a child of the head bone. Then I can simply make the camera a child of the camera mount.

The problem is the camera mount shakes too much when the character is walking or running

So I want to animate the camera mount for each frame of the walk cycle to reduce the camera shake.
    My question is: Does my Camera Mount have to be a bone for me to animate it with Umotion?

or can I animate an empty game object that is child of a bone?

Cheers

Roy

9. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi Roy,
    in UMotion you can animate the position, rotation and scale of any object also if it is an empty GameObject. UMotion will visualize the current position of the empty GameObject with a cube and a cross hair in the center.

The following screenshot was taken from the UMotion Community Trailer. The gun has no bones but I'm animating it by just modifying the transforms of the separate gun parts:
    upload_2017-9-23_15-54-19.png

You can do all this with the free UMotion Community edition so just give it a try :)

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask a question on the UMotion Question&Answer page.

10. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well do you have:
    - do you have elbow and knee target possible with an IK solution?

- can you convert back and forth from generic to humanoid at no loss?

- How easy it is to add a keyframe for the whole skeleton without moving a bone?

- do you allow to to save "pose" for reuse (partial and complete)

- animation driver or equivalent? That's a big need, at least to interpolate between pose, for example between an open hand and a close hand or handling facial animation.

- Can I temporary pin some bone for use with a IK while I adjust (for example pinning contact point) with specific constrain (pin translation but allow rotation along one axis).

- Can I have gizmo for easy selection of bone or IK target for easy manipulation?

One thing I'm using for testing is a good complex animation where I'm having the character lay down on a bed, or wake up, relative to static a root node (use as an entry point for the interaction). It has multiple temporary contacts that challenge animation.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  11. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @neoshaman,

thanks for your interest.

Yes pole targets are supported in UMotion Professional's IK constraints. You may want to check out the IK constraint tutorial:

Yes. When you have one UMotion project for the generic version of your character and one UMotion project for the humanoid version of your character, you can use the "Import Clips" feature to import a clip from the humanoid project to the generic or the other way around. I think this is not described in the manual, I will add this in a future version.

If I understood you correctly it's as easy as pressing CTRL + A and then "Key Selected --> Key All" or just use the shortcut "S". This will create keys for everything. See it in action:

You can just copy and paste the keys of a pose from one clip to another. A pose library or something like that is currently not implemented.

UMotion has the "Custom Property" constraint which can do basic things that go into this direction. Learn more from the appropriate video tutorial:

I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure what kind of use case you tried to explain. If the IK target is set to be a child of the root game object, it won't move even when you move the whole rig of the character. It thus acts as if it was pinned.

You can use the Child-Of constraint to dynamically change the parent of the IK target so you could enable and disable this behavior during an animation.

Currently this is not implemented but may come in the future. The solid bone rendering is similar to how Blender is rendering the bones and I think (from a personal perspective) selecting bones is quite easy in this rendering mode.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

neoshaman likes this.
  12. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Version 1.00p02 submitted to the Asset Store for review

I have just submitted a patch release for UMotion Community and Professional to the Asset Store. Find the release notes below:
    UMotion V1.00p02
    New or Changed Features
    None

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed an exception that appeared when editing the frame of a key in the "edit key window" that can be opened in the curves view when right click --> edit key.
    • Fixed an exception that appeared when models with no bones or "Optimize GameObjects" enabled in the model import settings have been applied to the Pose Editor for the first time. Added a warning dialog that is shown when a model with "Optimize GameObjects" enabled is applied to the Pose Editor for the first time.
    • Fixed inconsistent naming of the "Ik Fk Blend" channel in the custom property constraint by renaming it to "Fk Ik Blend".
    • Fixed that the Pose Editor wasn't repainted immediately after the tool mode was changed from/to the scale tool.
    • Fixed that deselecting a selected bone via CTRL + left mouse click doesn't work.
    • Fixed an error log message when a humanoid animation was imported with animation events not found at the current animated GameObject.
    • Fixed current values of a modified rotation property not being converted to the new rotation mode when the rotation mode is changed.
    • Fixed an exception that appeared when importing an animation clip with an animated rotation property configured as "quaternion" but in the clip already existing in the project the same property is configured as "euler".
    • Fixed an exception that appeared when importing an animation clip of a umotion project that wasn't selected in the imported umotion project when it was last opened.
    • Fixed an exception that appeared when importing more thann one animation clip of a umotion project.
    • Fixed that an imported project was not garbage collected.
    • Fixed that GUI intput fields suddenly don't accept input anymore (seen mostly in 2017.1).
    • Fixed the instruction text in the example scene to make the first steps more easier to understand.
    • Fixed that an error dialog was shown in an endless loop when the animation preview mode of the Unity Timeline window was enabled while an animated GameObject was applied to the UMotion Pose Editor.
    Manual Changes
    • Added work around suggestion to Known Issue 06.
    • Added sentense to Child-Of constraint that hints that scaling is not supported.
    • Mentioned that the video tutorials have subtitles in the "Video Tutorials" chapter.
    • Split the "Video Tutorials" chapter into one sub chapter per video. Moved "Video Tutorials" to a higher position in the table of content.
    • Added chapter "How to create better animations".
    • Added a question to the FAQ.

What's next?
    I'm currently working on a new video tutorial that is the first of a new series called "UMotion In Practice". It's all about using UMotion in practical situations. In the first episode we will combine first person hands with a pistol and create a shooting animation from ground up. At the end we will use the created animation in an example scene together with the first person controller.
    (@xxhaissamxx as far as I remember you have requested an FPS tutorial in the past. This will be it.)

When? I need to record one scene again due to low framerate while recording --> very soon but not today.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  13. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Version 1.00p03 RELEASED on the Asset Store

While 1.00p02 was under review I've submitted V1.00p03 which just got released on the Asset Store. Upgrading to V1.00p03 is highly recommended as there have been quite a few major bugs.

UMotion V1.00p03
    New or Changed Features
    None

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a bug in the IK plane math that caused the reference vector (i.e. the vector that defines the orientation of the plane when the angle is 0) to have a magnitude of zero. If your IK chain is bending into the wrong direction after you've updated to V1.00p03, switch to config mode and correct the IK plane orientation as it might have changed.
    Manual Changes
    • Added the first episode of the new tutorial series UMotion "In Practice" to the video tutorials chapter.

Thanks for all the great feedback, feature requests and bug reports that I have received so far. They are helping a lot!

14. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion "In Practice" - Episode 1 - Our first Animation (FPS Pistol)

I'm very proud to show you the first episode of my new tutorial series UMotion "In Practice". While the existing tutorials highlight all the great features of UMotion, this new format is all about showing them in action. In the first episode we are creating a "shooting" animation for a first person shooter. We will go through all the basics of animating so even if you're not working on an FPS game, this still might be very interesting for you.

Let me know if you found the tutorial helpful and what tutorials you want to see in the future.

Tryz, Teila, lundon and 2 others like this.
  15. Teila

Teila

I am seriously thinking of getting this. I love how you can animate inside of Unity. What really really need is a tool that we can use to modify or fix animations that we already have. Sometimes, we find an animation we have purchased has a little glitch that needs to be fixed, like a weird foot, or we need to change the animation to make it work as an animation for a specific skill, such as sewing, fishing, etc.

I would love to see some videos that do that. Fix broken animations and allow us to modify existing animations.

mbhagat, Ony, Tryz and 1 other person like this.
  16. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Teila,

thanks for your interest in UMotion.

With UMotion Professional importing existing animations is really easy. Here is the tutorial on how you can import an existing animation: Pro 1) Importing Animations

You can fix an existing animation by deleting the keys that are wrong and replace them with new keys like in "Episode 1 - Our First Animation" seen above. Or maybe you just have to correct some of the animation curves. It really depends on the problem the animation has.

After you're done with correcting the animation, you can export it and use the resulting *.anim file in your game.

17. lundon

lundon

I second Teila's request.

Along those lines, it would be nice if the system could automatically eliminate redundant key frames. For example, if key frames 6 through 19 on the right thigh were all the same it would be nice for the system to automatically delete key frames 7 through 18.

I'd also like the ability to hide parts of the clip editor. For example, I'd like to hide all of the fingers until that point in time when I need to edit them.

18. Teila

Teila

Great! But I was responding to your request to tell you what sort of tutorial videos we would like to see. I would like to see you take an existing animation and change it or fix it from start to finish. It would help me to see if this is something I can use. It looks fabulous but I have had bad luck with tools that look better than they really are. Probably not the case here, but those sorts of tutorials would help me to know for sure.

Ony and lundon like this.
  19. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

@lundon: Thanks for your feature requests. I like both of your ideas.

Do you mean something like this: You select all keys in the clip editor then press a button "Remove Redundant Keys" (or shortcut) and it will automatically clean your animation? Or do you just want this to be applied on the exported animation?

You are speaking about hiding the property and all it's keys in the clip editor correct? Or are you also refereeing to the bone visibility in the scene view?

Ok I got your point. I would need a good example for such a tutorial. What are common problems you have with existing animations that you would like to be covered in this tutorial? Is there any existing free animation on the Asset Store that has such a problem that I could use in this tutorial?

20. Teila

Teila

There are free packs from the Carnegie animations on the asset store.https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19991

Many of these need to be cleaned up so could be great for an example.

Tryz and lundon like this.
  21. lundon

lundon

In response to your questions:

"You select all keys in the clip editor then press a button "Remove Redundant Keys" (or shortcut) and it will automatically clean your animation?"

Yes- that's exactly what I mean

"You are speaking about hiding the property and all it's keys in the clip editor correct?"

Yes

22. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks I will have a look on this package. I think this is a good idea. After I finished my work on V1.01 I will create this video :)

@lundon: Alright thank you. I will put both on my to-do list.

Teila and lundon like this.
  23. Tryz

Tryz

Hi @SoxwareInteractive , I'm loving UMotion... well done. :)

I'm trying to fix some animations and I'd like to use a prop (rifle) by putting it in the right hand. UMotion wants to add the rile as part of the configuration rig and I can't add the rifle later since the skeleton is locked.

What's the right way to use attached props and not have them part of the rig or part of the exported the clips?

[EDIT]
    I just found my M4 model transform was imported into the config as locked. Changing it's visibility type to "Show" allows me to rotate and move it. That has me moving forward.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    TeagansDad, hopeful and Teila like this.
  24. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Tryz,
    thanks for your nice words. I'm glad you like UMotion.

I have copied you're question to the UMotion Question&Answer page and answered it their:
    https://support.soxware.com/34/whats-right-attached-props-have-them-part-part-exported-clips

I want to keep all support conversations at the same place as I want to create a knowledge base that others can search for help. Also I think it is better to keep this thread clean and organized as I don't want to spam people who watched this thread with support messages for others. I hope you apologize :)

Please note that you don't have to create an account to ask questions on the Question&Answer page.

Tryz likes this.
  25. neoshaman

neoshaman

I don't know why it tooks so long to sold me your asset lol, I had to beg you! Anyway I'm interested in the pro version but now I have to wait 4 month because of new expenses :( I hope that with Umotion I can finally replace external soft to make all (skeletal/character) animations in unity, I will try to push the asset to its limit.

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  26. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

@neoshaman: I'm glad that I was able to finally convince you of UMotion :)

27. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.01 is currently in beta phase.

So I thought it's time to share some of the most interesting improvements with you. Nearly all of the improvements have been requested by UMotion users. If the feature you requested isn't in this release, it might come in the a future update. For this release, small workflow improvements and improvements of existing features had highest priority.

Updated Rotation Tool
    It's now easy to animate things like the tail of this dragon (model by Protofactor, Inc.). Select all bones of the tail (SHIFT + left mouse click to select all child bones), use the rotation tool and see what happens. The rotation is now applied to all child bones to create a smooth rotation along the whole tail:
    giphy.gif

Recently Opened Projects
    There is now a "Recently Opened Projects" entry to quickly switch between your projects:
    upload_2017-10-5_14-29-44.png

Improved Import Settings
    You can now decide which strategy you want to choose for keyframe reduction when importing humanoid animations. In the previous UMotion versions, keys have been reduced by allowing a small error tolerance ("lossy"). Due to this tolerance a small jitter on the feet or hand could have been noticeable. The new default mode is "lossless" which won't reduce as much keys, but will also ensure that there is no jitter at all.

UMotion will now automatically disable Unity's "Animation Compression" (FBX Importer - Animations Tab) if it was enabled for a clip that should be imported into UMotion. This ensures that the animation is imported at highest quality. The setting is restored after UMotion finished the importing process. You can switch this feature off in the import settings.
    upload_2017-10-5_14-48-52.png

And much more smaller features and bug fixes. As soon as I got some feedback from the beta testers, I will submit V1.01 to the Asset Store.

I'm currently working on a road-map to give you a better idea of what features I have planned for the future. Stay tuned ;-)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Lex4art, TeagansDad and hopeful like this.
  28. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

I'm really considering to buy it. However, I really want to know if it will support some kind of a timeline integration. For example, it would really help if you could have timeline's scrubber updating while you move Umotion's scrubber

29. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks for your interest :)

This is not yet supported, but has very high priority on my to-do list. I already started working on this.

30. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

That's nice to hear! Also, will there be some kind of feature to lower editor camera's speed?

31. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Adjusting the camera speed that is used when moving through WASD is not possible as far as I know (also not via script).

But Unity offers two other ways to control the editor camera that you can use instead. They give you more fine graded control: Holding ALT + left mouse button lets you rotate the camera around what's currently focused and ALT + right mouse button lets you zoom in/out.

You can also center the current selected bone in UMotion by pressing "C" (you can replace this shortcut with whatever you like).

32. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well skele at least does this one

33. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I think Skele isn't really reducing the camera speed, it is scaling the whole scene so that it appears as if the camera speed is slower (in fact only the world is larger now).

I always want to keep the users scene as untouched as possible so this is no option for me.

neoshaman likes this.
  34. neoshaman

neoshaman

Okay I didn't meant to bring skele one more time, just pointing that someone did it, Since it's the soft I'm dealing a lot now, it's in my mind lol. I'll test to see, because that's pretty seamless to activate it! I'm amaze it doesn't mess animation more than that ...

35. Piahouka

Piahouka

Hi, Soxware Interactive.
    I bought UMotion - Professional, but it's a bother to apply Inverse Kinematics each models.
    So, is there plan to add Inverse Kinematics automatically when select a gameobject to animate, in future road map ?
    Thanks!

36. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Piahouka,
    thanks for your purchase. Yes this is on the road map. As it has been requested already several times, I will try to get this done in V1.02 (V1.01 is currently in beta phase).

Piahouka likes this.
  37. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hey guys,

I'm constantly working on improvements for UMotion. Your feedback and feature requests help me a lot to shape the future of UMotion. Thanks to the input of each of you I was able to compose a road map filled with lots of awesome features that I believe you will benefit the most of. The road map also lets you track the development progress of each feature.

Please note that the order of the features is does not represent the priority the features have.

The road map is published on my homepage (see link below).

upload_2017-10-10_16-44-21.png

Timeline Integration
    This feature has the highest priority for me. My investigations of the last couple of days showed that this is not possible with the current Unity versions as there is no way to extend the Animation Track of Timeline. Unity has confirmed that this is not possible at the moment, but this might change in the future. So for the time being I have to put this feature on hold and am keeping my fingers crossed for the future.

Please note that it is possible to use animations created with UMotion in Timeline! It is yet not possible to use UMotion and Timeline simultaneous.

Other Features
    Another feature that is requested quite commonly is the FBX export. Due to the complexity of this feature, I have to give other features higher priority. As Unity has just announced their FBX related partnership with Autodesk I'm hoping that Unity might offer a way to export to FBX in the future.

Humanoid Full Body IK is also requested very often. This might also come in the future but due to the complexity not yet with high priority thus also not on the road map at the moment.

If you have a feature request feel free to add a request here: https://support.soxware.com/ask

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

As you're asking, I did give Daz Animate a quick try at some point (after testing most DCC's).. It's not a replacement for a DCC but I wish animation tools could be that simple to use..

If you want an IK effector you just right click on a bone and you can "pin" the transform or rotation, every animation is defined by a "block" in the timeline (you just specify the length of the block and then you can split animations as you wish), these "blocks" can either be morph targets or specific IK chains (like arms etc.).

You can have subtracks with different blocks that blend various IK chains, lets say you want to manipulate legs seperate to arms it's just a checkbox. Again being able to blend morph targets with these blocks is a major plus on seperate "layers" or tracks, as you can just have a subtrack with nothing but morph targets.. Yes I know most DCC's will do it but it's never just "simple"..

It has a time line editor for said blocks, it has cheat selectors for humanoid figures like torso bend / hand shapes like fist / chop etc. but it's more than happy with quadra's as well..

There are a few problems, hence I'm not using it.. For some reason the animations get messed up when using humanoid rigs in Unity and the IK system isn't great TBH.. Although it's free, so you should check it out.

Maya can pretty much do the same (hence why I love it), it just costs you nearly $2K a year for the privilege.. If there was a properly done solution for Unity with said ease of use I'd be very interested (so would many probably).. Then I can prance around in the world of Blender and never complain again (well not about this at least)..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  39. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thank you very much for your input. I watched a few video tutorials just to get an idea of Daz Studio. As soon as I have some spare time, I might take a closer look.

I think UMotion does a decent job when it comes to IK. What I'm trying to improve in the future is to make it easier and faster to set it up. That's already on the road map and is targeted for the next update (V1.02).

I think there are 2 separate tasks: Creating animation clips and combining/mixing multiple animation clips into a sequence. Daz Studio is offering both. UMotion is designed to "only" create the animation clips as they can be combined by using Unity Timeline or Unity Animator (Mecanim). Both support mixing several clips and layers. Thus mixing existing animation clips in UMotion is not my intended goal as Unity does already a pretty decent job on that one.

What I'm trying to improve is to make it easier to edit existing animation clips (that have been imported into UMotion) without the need to touch a lot of keys. One possible way would be to implement additive animation layers. Another way would be to add a "Key Additive" mode where modifications done on one key are added to multiple existing keys. That leads me straight to this point:

Your feedback regarding updating existing animations
    One big point on my road map is to focus on updating the workflow of editing existing animations. I'm also planning to do a video tutorial regarding this topic afterwards. For those who already own UMotion Professional, I would be very interested in your feedback and feature requests:

1. What are common problems in existing animations that you need to edit/fix using UMotion?
    2. What part of the workflow could be improved to make this process more efficient?

Teila and lundon like this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think you're missing the point, being able to split and control animations into sub tracks / layers allows you to export partial animations but also allows you to visualise the full animation together.

Games that require a lot of animations will have a lot of re-use in different places so I should be able to import a partial animation (like a morph target / face bone rig) and then match it to another body / bone animation then some tweaks.. FaceFx etc. will export a partial animation..

Using Unity's timeline / mecanim requires that the animation be finished, sure you can use blend tree's to try and match it up after the fact but then how is that workflow any better than Maya? To visualise FPS's etc. there's a camera bridge to Stingray that allows you to visualise actions in realtime and once I've set it up in Maya / SR it does one to one translate to both Unity and Unreal.

As said the "pinning" function does speed things up quite a bit as a side note..

But ultimatley even Maya LT can do a lot more than Umotion, as much as I'd like an in-buit animator in Unity there has to be a reason.. I'm not fussed if the asset cost $50.00 or $150.00 if it makes sense..

41. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @ShadowK,

thanks for explaining your request in more detail, I highly appreciate that.

As I'm only a one man team, I have to focus on basic things first. That is why improving the workflow of existing features and and adding smaller new features.

The request of IK "pinning" goes into this direction. Currently "pinning" is already possible by using the "Child-Of" constraint on the IK target. When the child is the root "GameObject" then the target is pinned, if it is a child of the rig then it will move with the character. I will think about how I can get a one click pinning experience done.

I understand that sub tracks and layers are a useful thing. I gave it a thought how I could do this with my limited resources (one man team) and I had an idea that I will continue to experiment with. I can't promise anything yet, though.

Your post points me into the direction in which UMotion should further develop in the future. I know that UMotion is not Maya and I never claimed that as it is not realistic for a one man team to beat Autodesk. The idea of UMotion is to create an affordable and easy to use product for indies and hobbyists that gives you everything you need to start creating and editing animations. For professionals, UMotion cna be a useful extension to their existing art pipeline due to the fact that UMotion is integrated into Unity. This allows you to create animations that fit perfectly into your game and reduces iteration times.

42. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I made some decent progress on the pose mirroring feature in the last couple of days:
    V1_02_FeaturePreview.gif

You can either enable a "mirror" mode that automatically reflects all changes to the other side, or you can use a button to explicitly mirror only select bones/transforms.

The math is designed in such a way that it works with any type of model: Human like characters, dragons, spiders,...

The feature is going to be available in the free UMotion Community edition and in UMotion Professional.

I will ship this feature in the next closed beta very soon. If you are interested in testing this (and future beta's) don't hesitate to contact me (please include your UMotion Professional Invoice ID): Email Support

hopeful and lundon like this.
  43. Deckard_89

Deckard_89

Hi, does this asset have any equivalent of the 3ds Max biped "planted" key, for planting hands or feet (for example) then set them free again to allow them to follow the rest of the animation?

Another biped feature i love is the layers, where you can make a new layer, adjust what you need to, for example fingers on a gun or door handle or whatever, then collapse the layer and it becomes a part of the original layer, as one complete animation. Does UMotion have something like that (or would it in the future)?

44. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Deckard_89,

thanks for you request!

With UMotion you can use the Child-Of constraint on the IK target to change the parenting during an animation. If the parent is set to be the root GameObject, the IK target will always stay in the same position (i.e. it is pinned). If you set the parent to be the rig/armature, it will move with the model.

It doesn't support layers yet. I have plans to implement this in a future version. In the UMotion Road Map there is currently a work package called "Workflow Improvements: Editing Existing Clips" which might cover animation layers.

Deckard_89 likes this.
  45. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion V1.01p04 (and V1.01p03) have been released

Hey guys,
    2 patch releases just got online.

Some of you had problems with the input fields within the UMotion GUI in the previous versions, this bug is fixed now.

UMotion V1.01p04
    New or Changed Features
    None

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed that setting the scale via "Apply Reference Pose" doesn't work.
    • Fixed that the IK chain randomly changes the orientation within an animation clip. This is caused by a floating point rounding error and happened only when using one specific model.
    Manual Changes
    None

UMotion V1.01p03
    New or Changed Features
    None

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed that when typing into a UMotion input field in Unity 5.6 only one character is accepted and then the field immediately looses its input focus.
    • Fixed that when "Auto Key" is set to "Update" while a rotation property's rotation mode is changed to euler, an incorrect value is keyed at the current frame cursors position.
    • Fixed that the keys of every channel of a property is overwritten when pasting, even if only one key was copied. This has been due to the "chain neighbour keys" setting.
    Manual Changes
    None

46. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Unity 2017.2 incompatibility bug solved in V1.01p05 (currently under review)

Update October 24th:
    V1.01p05 was released on the Asset Store. Please update when using Unity 2017.2.

Original Message:
    Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that with V1.01p04 and below there is a bug that breaks compatibility for the new Unity 2017.2. An exception is thrown as soon as a GameObject is applied to the Pose Editor. I have already submitted a patch release (V1.01p05) to the Asset Store for review. I assume that the patch will ship Monday or Tuesday next week (23rd or 24th of October).

In urgent cases, you can contact me to receive the patch immediately: Contact Support
    If you are a UMotion Professional user, please include your invoice id.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  47. Teila

Teila

Any videos that show modifying existing animation available yet? I still have this on my wish list but want to make sure it is useful for my needs.

48. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Teila,

thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry the videos are not yet available. I was very busy with finishing UMotion V1.02 in the last weeks. The video you are asking for is still on my Road Map. The next update (UMotion V1.03) will be focused on workflow improvements when working with existing animations. I will start working on this update next week. That version will be the base for upcoming videos (I would have to redo parts of the videos if I record them before V1.03).
    That doesn't mean that you can't edit existing animations with the existing versions of course. It will just be easier in some situations.

TeagansDad likes this.
  49. Teila

Teila

Thanks!! I realize I can still do that but would like to see the videos before I purchase. This is primarily what we need uMotion to do for us so important we see it first. :) Free version does not allow this so no way to evaluate prior to purchase.

I can wait. Better to do them after your update so they are current. :) I do appreciate the response.

50. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Sure :) If that's the primary use case for you then some exiting stuff is coming along the way for you with UMotion V1.03. I will keep this thread and my socials updated as I proceed with the development.

Teila likes this.