Search Unity

Assets UMotion – Animation Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SoxwareInteractive, Jul 24, 2017.

1. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Gunhi,
    thank you very much for your support request.

The Child-Of constraint is explained in this video tutorial. You can find this and all the other video tutorials in the "Video Tutorials" chapter of the manual.

If there is anything specific that I should explain in more detail, feel free to post a new question in the UMotion support forum (no login required).

2. Gunhi

Gunhi

Thanks for great asset and support.
    Do you have any tutorial for Facial or is there any tip, trick for mixing uMotion with other facial capture/lipsing?

3. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Glad you like it.

I recommend using blend shapes for animating facial expressions. Blend shapes need to be created in a 3D modeling application (they require deforming the mesh). Usually you create different blend shapes for different expressions (laughing, looking sad,...). From within UMotion you can then blend between the different blend shapes.
    I don't have a video tutorial regarding blend shapes but they are pretty self explaining. Here is a written explanation of how to use Blend Shapes in UMotion: https://forum.unity.com/threads/umotion-animation-editor.490618/page-3#post-3359300

Regarding lipsync, I would use a run-time solution like "Salsa" or "Lipsync". You create your animations without animating the lips at all, and then during run-time synchronize the lips with one of the above mentioned assets. That's by far the easiest approach.

4. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

@SoxwareInteractive

From your tutorial clip, the .anim file did not show avatar mask, state blending curve, ... or am I missing something?

Basically, I did not see these:

A work around it: for Events, I can put an event from Animation Editor, for Mask, I think a Layer-Mask from Animator Controller, probably still mask the .anim file. But, what about the Curves? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  5. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @ikemen_blueD,
    thank you very much for your support request.

You are right, Unity only provides these options in the "Animation Import Inspector" that is shown when a *.fbx or similar file is selected. The inspector of *.anim clips has less options.

Nether the less, all those features are still supported:
    • Mask: There are two approaches to create avatar masks. Either per animation (in the Import Settings) or as an avatar mask asset. You will need the second method. The official avatar mask video tutorial of Unity covers creating avatar mask assets: Avatar Masks - Unity Video Tutorial.
    • Curves: You can also add custom curves to your animation in UMotion by using the "Custom Property" constraint in "Animator Parameter" mode. More information can be found in the UMotion manual: "Pose Editor / Constraints / Custom Property"
    • Events: The recommended workflow is to add the events directly in UMotion's Clip Editor: Animation Events - UMotion Video Tutorial
    I've re-posted your question in the technical support forum of UMotion: http://support.soxware.com//467/events-avatar-usually-animation-settings-supported-umotion
    Please use that in the future for technical support, it keeps things clean and organized. You can post there without creating an account.

Best regards,
    Peter

ikemen_blueD likes this.
  6. alxndrhglnd

alxndrhglnd

I am wondering if it is possible to transfer mixamo animations to Umotion using the pro version?

daville likes this.
  7. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @alxndrhglnd,
    thanks for your question. Every animation that can be imported by Unity, can also be edited with UMotion Pro (also Mixamo animations). As far as I know people often use UMotion Pro to edit mixamo animations.

Malbers likes this.
  8. Anpu23

Anpu23

This looks like a good solution to a problem that I am having, the question I have is I use a lot of additive animations and animation scripts such as iTween, VertExmotion and Dynamic Bone. Does Umotion allow added animations after the base build, or does it require that all animations be completed before import?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. daville

daville

Totally possible I often do that.

10. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Anpu23,
    with UMotion you create a "UMotion Project" file where you can import all the animations you want to edit. You can import any animation that Unity can read (*.fbx, *.blend, *.anim,...). Once you're done working on that animation, you can export it to *.anim or *.fbx. That exported animations can then be used in complex setups like yours together with iTween, Dynamic Bone,...

11. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion Pro @ Unity Awards 2018

Hey guys,
    I hope you're having an excellent time. I just noticed that UMotion Pro was nominated for this year's Unity Awards in the category "Best Artistic Tools" :) That's an amazing honor and I know very well that this has only been possible due to every one of you! Thank you, you guys rock!! :cool:

Please support me with your vote --> https://awards.unity.com/#best-artistic-tool <--

Also make sure to check out all the other categories of this year's Unity Awards. There are lots of amazing games and assets nominated that are well worth your vote :)

(PS: Sorry for the double post. I'm just excited and this WIP thread is still commonly visited by some of you :).)

daville likes this.
  12. t1000

t1000

I thought the mixamo animations were virtually perfect, except they might not fit your model or specific items so you might want to do small adjustments not because they look bad.

13. Teila

Teila

My experience, they are far from perfect. lol We used uMotion to fix all sorts of Mixamo issues, including twisted feet and bones.