Search Unity

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

I'm very happy people are enjoying them. I'll be sure to add UV mapping to my list of things to cover, there's a lot in UModeler, I haven't even gotten close to knowing everything myself yet. But I'm learning a lot as I go and I'm very pleased people are enjoying learning along with me.

UModeler likes this.
  2. thelebaron

thelebaron

Hi, hope its alright to submit some requests here

1. Option to change the default uv scaling. I'm currently working on a project that uses very low resolution textures, currently new objects uvs always get scaled up so that a texture tiles but it would be nice to be able to adjust the default size that this occurs at(couldnt find this option if it exists).

2. I'm using UModeler with DOTS, and for physics conversion at the moment it requires meshes to exist as assets and have read write enabled. Could there be an option to always create a mesh asset when making a new UModeler shape, as well as also having the option to toggle whether read write on those assets. (currently can do this manually but it would make life easier to have options for this).

3. UModeler throws some errors when starting play mode with subscenes(a dots feature). Its not too major and perhaps maybe too soon to worry about fixing, id try to do it myself but the source isnt available(is it available with an invoice #?).

4. Hotspot Uv unwrapping https://twitter.com/prodeusgame/status/1107030165937369089
    Dont suppose something like this could be implemented for a future version? It would save so much time.
    Some further info though I haven't had time to really investigate it(and the math might be out of my ability :)) - I am pretty sure its based on Seneca's (of id software) modo scripts. A link for them is https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zob87fjtskjwbd/Seneca.zip?dl=0 - the script in question is uvs_baryCentric_hotspot.LXM but it references other scripts inside it

Anyway thanks, really enjoying how powerful UModeler is.

3. UModeler

UModeler

Hello,
    Of course, you can feel free to submit any requests here or via e-email or in discord etc.

I think Preference is the right location to have this default UV scaling parameters so I'll add it to Preference.

Do you want UModeler mesh to be saved as.asset file whenever UModeler changes or when creating a new UModeler object? I could add a toggle for this in Mesh filter component or something.
    Could you show me the error message and the call stack? and source code isn't available yet but I have a plan to provide people who purchased UModeler with source codes in the future but I can't say when it is.

This looks cool! This feature could make uv textures easier. I'll add this in the todo list and I'll look into the script in the future.

You're welcome and I'm so glad that you're enjoying UModeler.

thelebaron likes this.
  4. UModeler

UModeler

I have a suggestion about tutorial videos I want you to cover. These are [Repeat the previous action] and [Height alignment].

[Repeat the previous action] is to repeat the previous pushpull or inset by SHIFT + LMB in pushpull tool and inset tool.
    [Height alignment] is to push or pull a polygon at a time so that its height will be aligned to the other parallel polygon where the mouse points.

Actually I tend to use them so often and I'm sure other users think that they are very useful. I hope you'll cover them someday.

l21zxib8tr0f33v3 likes this.
  5. thelebaron

thelebaron

Probably an option for both would be nice to have.
    Heres the error logs - https://pastebin.com/vc3LhC1z didnt want to clog the thread up with it.

and for the hotspot mapping, I think this is an atlas of one such texture used for the process https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFvUR1fXoAYjGak?format=jpg&name=medium
    thanks again :D

UModeler likes this.
  6. UModeler

UModeler

thelebaron likes this.
  7. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Hello UModeler community! I'll be making some more tutorials over the next couple of days, I'm the one who makes the new narrated tutorials.

If you want anything specific covered let me know and I'll add it to my list!

UModeler likes this.
  8. UModeler

UModeler

This sounds good! I want you to cover assigning materials with shortcuts as shown below. This feature will be included in 2.6.22 which is being reviewed.
    UModeler_Material_Slots.jpg
    Actually I've sent you an email including some other things. Please check it out. Looking forward to seeing your tutorials!

9. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler 2.6.22 is available. This update contains many changes. Among them I would like to highlight the following things.
    • World Grid Snapping
    • Assigning material using shortcuts from Alt+0 to Alt+9
    • 4 new properties for .obj Export.
    Do you want to know about this update more, please click here.

HotfixUpdate2.6.22.jpg

10. UModeler

UModeler

Thanks to @l21zxib8tr0f33v3 we now have two more tutorial videos.

The first video shows two new features of UModeler. The other introduces Inset & Material & Bevel tools. If you have any suggestions for tutorials, please leave them in this forum.

Introduction - UModeler 2.6.22 : New Grid Snap and Material Tool

UModeler Tutorial #3 - Inset & Material & Bevel

Enjoy watching those videos.

11. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Great news. However, I still can't export to the format .obj.
    When? ;)
    PS. I think you should do a tutorial on creating destructible objects. In this case, umodeller is really good.

UModeler likes this.
  12. UModeler

UModeler

Hasn't it been fixed yet? hmm. Okay. I'll check it out one more time. Actually I failed to reproduce it before. This seems related to a language but I'm not sure yet.
    Could you explain the destructible objects in more detail? @l21zxib8tr0f33v3 might be interested in making a tutorial covering this.

13. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

I sent a video in which I showed how to fix it. It depends on the language of the operating system. In the English version, the numbers are exported as follows: 123_comma_45, and in other languages (Cyrillic) as 123_dot_45. Processing of numbers (input\export) should be done taking into account using System.Globalization; - > CultureInfo

Also because of this there are rounding errors (probably). This leads to some inaccuracies in the display of editable objects.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    UModeler likes this.
  14. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Destructible objects seems less like a UModeler thing and more just like a regular Unity tutorial, so I don't think it'd fit in with the other UModeler tutorials. And These types of tutorials already exist.

15. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

I was talking about the possibilities of a cutting tool. You can quickly create chunks of objects (about which this video).

16. UModeler

UModeler

Hello everyone

I found two serious bugs in 2.6.22f4. The first one is that UModeler object is snapped even though Grid Enabled is off in the settings. The other is that Pivot Tool and Pivot To Center Tool don't work as expected like UModeler object jumps as soon as applying a new pivot. These bugs have been fixed just right before and the new version(2.6.23) has been submitted to unity asset store.

Usually a review takes a couple of days. So please wait until it's available. I'm sorry to annoy you due to those bugs.

17. UModeler

UModeler

Luckily 2.6.23 is available now. The review has been done in a flash!

18. UModeler

UModeler

19. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Ah, alright, I'll add it to my list of tutorials to make. Features like these are already present in UModeler.

UModeler likes this.
  20. Divide

Divide

V2.6.23: Encountered what might be a bug when using the push tool - reproduced it in a very simple way where I just draw a couple of cubes and push the side in - and 2 sides face the wrong direction. Only happens if i push in instead of out, and I can easily select the 2 sides and hit 'H' to flip the normals, but letting ya know. Fantastic tool btw!

Attached Files:

UModeler likes this.
  21. Casanuda

Casanuda

Hi,

Just bought your tool and for the most part it is great to work with. I can do some really great things with it.

There are a few things, though, which make the tool a bit difficult to work with, and I am unsure if these are by design or I am missing a setting:

1 - Grid snapping - If I have a rounded shape and try move all the vertices in that shape with grid snapping on, the individual vertices snap to grid making the rounded shape square. This is an undesirable effect when working with groups of vertices. Probuilder suffered the same problem for a while, but they fixed it. For example I have a rounded window cut into a wall and I want to adjust it's position based on the grid, it does not seem possible with snap on.
    2 - pivot/center pivot points - If I select a group of vertices/faces/edges switching between local or center pivot makes no difference to the position of the gizmo.
    3 - Is the a select hidden on/off option available to allow, for example, selecting of vertices to be blocked by faces
    4 - It is a bit confusing that both the main gizmo and a gizmo for a selection are available at the same time.

Thanks
    Cas

UModeler likes this.
  22. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

I'm not the developer so I can't accurately reply to any of your other issues. But please know that the grid system as it is now is very new. I'm fairly certain it is not supposed to behave this way.

The UModeler Dev is very helpful and I'm sure he'll have your issues resolved in no time!

UModeler likes this.
  23. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Divide,
    Thank you for reporting with the video.
    Fortunately I'm also aware of the bug. When I implemented pushpull tool, I had to cover lots of cases but this case wasn't covered yet. I'll take care of this soon.

24. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Casanuda.

Thank you for purchasing UModeler. As for your questions I put my answers below.
    I think the improved grid snapping from Ver 2.6.22f4 doesn't behave like this any more. Each moved vertex with grid snap on is snapped to a nearby world grid position. Check it out using the latest UModeler.
    2.6.25 has been submitted today to allow pivot position to switch between the center and the pivot like ProBuilder. I missed this one when I modified the pivot position code in 2.6.22.
    Select Only Visible in the inspector makes only visible elements able to be selected.
    In Object Mode the gizmos for a element selection are disabled and the main gizmos are only available in Object Mode. So it isn't possible to use both at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  25. UModeler

UModeler

There were issues in Pivot Tool and 3D cursor so they've been handled in UModeler 2.6.24. Check out what's changed here. 2.6.24 is available now.

HotfixUpdate2.6.24.jpg

26. UModeler

UModeler

This bug has been fixed in 2.6.25 which is available now :)
    More info is here - https://www.tripolygon.com/post/what-s-new-in-umodeler-2-6-25
    HotfixUpdate2.6.25.jpg

27. Casanuda

Casanuda

Thanks for the reply. I see these are fixed.

Just on the grid snapping, it it intentional that each vertex snap to a grid position when moved in a group?

Or should only the pivot point snap to grid and the vertex points keep their position?

It seems like it should be the pivot point that snaps, this way if you cut a rounded box into a wall for exampe and want to move it around, the rounded box keeps it's shape.

Thanks
    Cas

28. UModeler

UModeler

When you move/rotate/scale vertices/edges/polygons, each vertex will be snapped if Grid Snap is on.
    In object Mode only pivot position is snapped. Vertices aren't snapped in Object Mode.
    If you want to maintain the rounded box shape while moving them, you should turn off the grid snap in Settings.

29. Casanuda

Casanuda

Thanks again. If you could maybe consider it as an option for future builds that would be appreciated.

One more thing, I am having difficulties uModeller objects as prefabs. When I tweak the model and update the prefab it does not reflect on prefabs already in the scene. I tried refresh all, but that does not seem to make a difference.

Also if you have multi-materials assigned to the mesh, the faces where the texture is assigned can get mixed up.

Thanks
    Cas

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    UModeler likes this.
  30. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Casanuda,
    Do you want vertices to be snapped even when you move a pivot with Grid Snap on?
    Prefabs is always a headache :). If you start to edit UModeler prefab instance, the difference might be reflected. I'll take care of this issue.
    It would be more helpful to resolve this issue if you explained how textures/faces got mixed up in more detail?

31. xPucTu4

xPucTu4

Just installed on fresh project with lots of other tools (Pro Builder and ProGrids-preview are there too) and the system bar is hidden offscreen.
    Also I cannot draw new shapes and it does not work at all.
    On empty project with only UModeler installed, it works just fine.
    Do you know what can interfere with UModeler?
    Here is list of some additional tools that I have installed:
    • Hierarchy + Project PRO + C# (Project PRO is disabled)
    • DoozyUI
    • DOTween Pro
    • MicroSplat with all additions
    • Addressables package
    • Cinemachine package
    • ProBuilder
    • ProGrids-preview4
    screen9932.png

32. UModeler

UModeler

I'll look into this. Thank you for reporting!

33. UModeler

UModeler

As far as I've tested, ProBuilder and ProGrids don't affect the toolbar position. But I'm not able to test with the other add-ons. So could you check if UModeler toolbar's position is right in a scene where each add-on is installed one by one ? It could be annoying though.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  34. xPucTu4

xPucTu4

Because it was almost empty project, I already deleted it and saved only few scripts.
    After I created it again it works fine. It could be something unity related, so please do not count this as bug report.
    Your asset is awesome.

UModeler likes this.
  35. UModeler

UModeler

Hello everyone,

In 2.6.26 UModeler toolbar might not be displayed in some Unity versions like 2019.1 and 2019.2.17 etc. As soon as I found it out I fixed it and submitted UModeler 2.6.27 package a couple days ago. So I think it'll be available soon.

If this bug has annoyed you I'm so sorry.

36. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Wanted to apologize to everyone for the lack of tutorials the last couple of weeks. I've been busy and haven't had time to record Umodeler videos, I will try to record some over this week.
    The next tutorials coming up are UModeler vs Probuilder (Spoiler UModeler Wins) and a video explaining the basics of UV as well as very basic Surforge Information that involves to UModeler integrations.

UModeler likes this.
  37. UModeler

UModeler

I can't wait to see it :)

38. UModeler

UModeler

39. dwilking

dwilking

Hi,
    I had the same export problem and fixed it by creating a script with code by gresolio that can be found here:

Editor is using Window's locale settings

Rather ugly hack, though :)

UModeler likes this.
  40. UModeler

UModeler

Today I've been working on UModeler 2.7.0. I was able to fix some bugs and make some improvement. You can see what has been done at a glance in the following kanban board. The first update in 2020 is going to be available in a few days.
    bandicam 2020-01-05 22-15-36-023.jpg

Thank you so much for the info. I was able to resolve the importFBX issue thanks to you as being seen in the upper board.

41. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Just finished recording 2 Umodeler videos. All I have to do now is edit them. Should be done in the next day or so.

UModeler likes this.
  42. UModeler

UModeler

It sounds great! I'm sure that the tutorial videos will get loved by more people.

43. UModeler

UModeler

44. UModeler

UModeler

This has been resolved in 2.7.0. Please check it out after downloading.

45. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Hi. I have a noobish question/issue. I have made my first UModeler object which appears fine in the editor, however the object doesn't appear in the game build. Is there a step I am missing to rectify this? Cheers!

46. UModeler

UModeler

Hello mthawley

Congratulations on making your first mesh with UModeler!

Actually there aren't any other separate necessary steps to make UModeler objects usable in game build.
    Basically if UModeler objects are visible in editor, they should be seen as well in game build.

I'll give some questions to figure it out.

What version of Unity are you using?
    Is also the UModeler object invisible in play mode?
    And could you try to remove only UModeler component and make a game build to check it out?

47. UModeler

UModeler

New tutorial videos with narration spoken by @l21zxib8tr0f33v3 have been released. The first one is covering UV basics. If you want to get started with UV mappings don't miss watching it. The second is about UModeler vs ProBuilder. I've already made this kind of videos but this video will clear more why you should choose UModeler instead of probuilder.

@l21zxib8tr0f33v3 - Thank you so much for keeping making the helpful tutorial videos.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  48. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Hi. I am using Unity 2019.2.17f1.

The UModeler object is visible in Play mode. However I just noticed that when editing the Prefab the UModeler object is attached to (in this case a car) the UModeler object isn't visible until I select it in the Hierarchy.

Thanks.

49. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Glad I can help. I'll continue making tutorials as often as I'm able for as long as I'm able.

UModeler likes this.
  50. UModeler

UModeler

Every time this happens, try to refresh All (Tools > UModeler > Refresh All or Ctrl+Shift+E)
    Sometimes UModeler prefab instance disappears like when you place a prefab in the scene view from the project window by dragging. I've been trying to figure it out. I'll take care of the issue intensively soon.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020