Search Unity

uMOBA - Create your own Dota/League of Legends Game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, May 15, 2016.

1. mischa2k

mischa2k

I tried a few more scenarios with different players, etc. and I got the bug too. And similar ones. I was able to track it down to a really annoying UNET bug that I encounter about once a month. I reported it on the forums about a year ago and you can find it on the issue tracker as well: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...lash-readbytes-out-of-range-errors-in-clients . If this bug bothers you, please go to the UNET forums and let the developers know so that we can get a fix quicker.

There are ways to work around this bug, and I am trying to do that for the last 5 hours. Will let you know when I know more.

With networking games, stability is the biggest feature of all. Most features on the roadmap only take a few days to implement, and we could probably add most of them until the end of this month. But as long as there is just one networking bug, it will completely ruin the experience for everyone.

This is why I always fix all existing issues before even considering the next feature. A good example is my above answer to JessieK. As long as we don't have a workaround for this UNET bug, any new feature would just make things more complicated and possibly introduce new bugs, or at least increase the amount of possible causes for a bug.

Luaans2 likes this.
  2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Luaans2 likes this.
  3. Luaans2

Luaans2

4. JessieK

JessieK

Hmm okay my bad I was of the mindset that the features (without bugs) would take a long time to actually finish, my mistake. I wish you guys the best of luck then I'll keep an eye out for when the features I need are being worked on and keep on making models while I wait.

5. Luaans2

Luaans2

I noticed that when I kill one minion, the tower life down, you set it?

//
    Bug Life? :p

6. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.14 is now on the Asset store!

What do you mean? If you found a bug, please see if it happens in V1.14 too. If it does, please post a detailed instruction to see the bug.

7. Luaans2

Luaans2

View

A small problem with the minions hp
    /
    From what I saw, the attack on Area is dealing damage in the Tower
    It was not just to be normal attack?

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

The 'Strong Hit' skill has an AoE radius that causes it to deal damage in an area around the monster that was hit. You can decrease that radius in the Inspector if you want to.

Luaans2 likes this.
  9. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: we are currently integrating the new map. An update should be out soon.

10. Luaans2

Luaans2

Now things will move more quickly to future updates that are missing MOBA

11. mischa2k

mischa2k

We will try!

12. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: here are some screenshots from the next update:
    a.png
    c.png
    h.png

A few more tests and adjustments, then we will submit it to the Asset Store!

13. Luaans2

Luaans2

You have to improve the path of Minions
    They will tower to Tower okay
    But they come up against the tower, and take a few seconds to return to the path

14. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll

In the latest documentation it reads.

"Quick start guide
    1. Install and open Unity 5.3.5 or newer.
    2. Import the Project from Unity's Asset Store and open the Network Lobby scene file.
    3. Press Play in the Editor, select "Server and Host", press "Join". Note: the game automatically starts if 1 player joined. You can change that number in the Lobby Manager in the Hierarchy."

"Server and Host" doesn't exist. I assume it should be "PLAY AND HOST". There is also no "Join" button. So how do you start?

15. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey, you are right. I will change it to 'Play and Host' and Unity 5.4.
    After pressing 'Play and Host', you can find 'Join' here:
    Screenshot at Sep 13 16-14-32.png

16. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll

For me I dont see any players. Just a plus sign on the right. After clicking on "Play and Host" I get the following warning.

"NetworkLobbyManager can't accept new connection [hostId: -1 connectionId: 0 isReady: False channel count: 0], not in lobby and game already in progress.
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkManager:StartHost()
    Prototype.NetworkLobby.LobbyMainMenu:OnClickHost() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Network/Scripts/Lobby/LobbyMainMenu.cs:31)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()"

17. mischa2k

mischa2k

Sounds like something didn't quit properly with the lobby. I suggest simply closing Unity, restarting your computer, then doing Play and Host -> Join again. I remember having your issue too last week after Unity crashed, it seemed like the networking part didn't close properly.

18. mischa2k

mischa2k

We will adjust this to look a bit more smoothly in one of the future versions. There are several ways to do that and we want to find the best way first.

Luaans2 likes this.
  19. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: uMOBA V1.15 is on the Asset Store with a long list of improvements:
    • New Map with more towers on each lane
    • Barracks
    • Removed unecessary NetworkStartPosition component from monster spawners
    • Damage Popups via TextMesh to avoid UI crash bug and memory leaks
    • RPCShowDamagePopup sets TextMesh instead of Text now
    • Properly deselect chat to avoid reactivating/scrolling when doing WSAD movement afterward using the chat
    • Increase NetworkProximityChecker visRange to be able to see more on the new map
    • Added 'Ignored by Minimap' layer; Foliage, Trees, River aren't drawn on the minimap to save a lot of computations
    • Monster goal logic improved. They walk to one tower after another now instead of walking to the first enemy tower directly
    • Tower aggro area increased to 13
    • Using NetworkProximity Team checker again to see all team member's proximity too
    • Proper workaround for critical UNET readstring/readbytes out of range bug to avoid it once and for all
    • Items and Skills can now be created via right click -> Create menu directly
    • Adjusted camera angle to 55 degree
    • Monsters, Towers, Barracks return a fixed amount of reward gold now
    • Entity UI health bars replaced with TextMesh healthbars to avoid Unity's Canvas Destroy crash bug
    • Win/Lose UI performance improved greatly
    • Entity.teams HashSet to cache evil and good team members instead of using Player.FindEnemies/FindTeam with FindObjectsOfType. This is a huge performance boost.
    • Camera scrolling speed is FPS independent via Time.deltaTime now
    • Android and WebGL default quality set to Fast with shadow distance of 40 now
    Everyone please update to make sure that you get those networking fixes that caused us so much trouble before.

20. JessieK

JessieK

This might be a really silly request/question, but in future do you plan on doing anything for assist the camera controls, you very well may have already but playing with the new version a bit I found it something I couldn't easily do.

A snap to player function (Press space and the camera goes to your player) and a "Lock camera to player" function (press Y the camera now follows your character, press it again for a free camera) would be awesome, and a nice touch to the kit.

The second would be a minimap controller, so we could click the minimap and have the camera go to that location, just for quicker movement about.

21. Luaans2

Luaans2

Complementing the boy from above, are missing something to signal the 'hero' on the minimap

is currently super hard to see, especially people who have eye problems <3

22. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll

I got it working but I had to delete the old project and create a new one.

23. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll

I also agree with JessieK and Luaans2 posts.

To make units clearer what some games (League of Legends) do is optional "character inking" which puts a dark silloute around units.

To add to clicking on the minimap top change the world position, I would also suggest icons are added to the minimap to show the positions of heroes, units and structures.

24. mischa2k

mischa2k

The minimap part is already on my ToDo list.
    The camera adjustments are a good point. Will add them to my list as well!

As mentioned in my above answer, it's on my ToDo list.

Good to hear. In the future it might be enough to simply delete the project's Library folder if it happens again.

You can easily add the outline effect already. If you look at the Scene while the game is not running, you can see that it actually exists normally. The MouseoverOutline script simply hides the outline while the cursor is not over an Entity. If you disable the hiding part from the script, then you will have your outline all the time.

Luaans2 likes this.
  25. olegpshenin

olegpshenin

Hello, everything is really useful and easy to change, but I have a trouble.
    When one of the players died and respawned any others except server-player can't see him. I tested a lot in a different way of connection: with a dedicated server, matchmaking system, direct connection, on my own computer and with server/client on another computer. But anytime I got the same: 1.jpg

So, as you can see, there are two examples, at first screenshot, there is only the health bar of the second player.

2.jpg
    At second screenshots there two players on the server side and only one on the client.

Also, server-player still can damage client players and they get this damage, so that's work but when I tried to find in the unity hierarchy game objects of server player after respawning I couldn't.

Hope that it is possible to fix.
    Thanks.

26. mischa2k

mischa2k

I have an idea what may cause this. Will look into it!

27. mischa2k

mischa2k

This bug will be fixed in V1.17. If you can't wait, open Player.cs, find the UpdateServer_DEAD function and add "Show();" before the "var start = ..." code.

Great find, thanks a lot!

28. olegpshenin

olegpshenin

Yeah, it works, thank you.

29. mischa2k

mischa2k

You are welcome.

30. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.16 is now on the Asset Store. Changes can be seen in the first post!

Luaans2 likes this.
  31. thommoboy

thommoboy

whenever i go to import the project, unity crashes and i get this error when i restart it:

will try updating unity now

32. mischa2k

mischa2k

Yes, I suggest using 5.4.1p2 and create a completely new project. Let us know if that doesn't work.

33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: we are working on Jungle Creeps!
    2016-09-27_jungle_a.png

2016-09-27_jungle_b.png

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Luaans2 likes this.
  34. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: V1.17 was submitted for review. This will be yet another important release. You can expect new jungle creeps and a huge performance boost (almost twice as many FPS on my laptop).

Try the new WebGL demo to see how fast it is now.

uMOBA has come a long way and is definitely at uMMORPG's quality level now. If you haven't already, we would greatly appreciate your honest review on the Asset Store page.

Here is the detailed list of changes:
    • Upgraded to Unity 5.4.1p2 for important bug fixes.
    • Camera scrolling now only works while the window is focused
    • Player mesh is now shown again after respawning
    • Adjusted some environment stone positions
    • Implemented forest monsters (skeleton)
      • Added 'Neutral' team to team enum
    • Fixed health bar visibility interfering with NetworkProximityChecker's visibility code
    • Greatly reduced NavMesh size from 2.5mb to 700kb. This reduces build size and speeds up monster pathfinding greatly.
    • Minimap only renders every half second instead of every frame. This greatly increases the FPS.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Luaans2 likes this.
  35. Luaans2

Luaans2

I'm loving it!
    My friends asked me to me, because you bought a project in development?
    Because just thought POWERFUL, LOVE it.

mischa2k likes this.
  36. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: uMOBA V1.17 is now on the Asset Store! Changes can be seen in the first post (forest monsters and huge performance improvements).

37. JessieK

JessieK

Hey a random feature request, but would patrolling minions be possible? Mainly for the jungle so rather than just having them standing still we could have the option to have them patrol about until they see a player then aggro to them?

38. mischa2k

mischa2k

You could use them like the lane creeps. Let them spawn where you want, then set the goal to the first patrol goal. Then when reaching that first goal, set it to the other patrol goal, etc.

39. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

Art update: Here's a preview mockup of the new UI we'll be implementing into the engine tomorrow! The design is for the current UI setup which is apt to change in the future. This UI update will include still image character portraits, and 64 x 64 icons, look forward to it!

1.png

Luaans2 and mischa2k like this.
  40. Luaans2

Luaans2

@ArtsyChen you are amazing!

I was thinking that would leave the simple and for us to make the customization of the game, but it seems not.

It makes me more excited!

ArtsyChen and mischa2k like this.
  41. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

@Luaans2 Appreciate it! I try my best, I'm thinking about doing an even better one in the future, of course that will come after we're done with UI features.

Luaans2 likes this.
  42. Luaans2

Luaans2

to with an asset here, and was testing it in umoba :)

43. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

I tested the demo. I like it! Maybe you could focus the camera back on your character after a re-spawn. I died in the enemy base, and then had to scroll all the way back to my base to find my character....

So I'm looking at buying this to help with a game project as I'm in the design phase, and I'm wondering how plausible it'll be for me to do the following with it: I'm going to need to make a match making system to link a team of 2-6 of hopefully similar lvl players, which will fight against AI in a first person, real time, arcade type shooter. Do you think that this system is capable of making it a first/third person shooter type gameplay for 6 players without tooooo much difficulty? I've been told that RPG MMO style games can't simply change over to a real time shooter, which is why I don't know how hard it would be to change a MOBA style game. I like that you're focus is on simplicity. It's the best starting point. Whatever you have to say is appreciated.

44. mischa2k

mischa2k

Camera focus after death will probably be in the next update.

That's a huge list of features that you have planned there.
    • Matchmaking is 100% Unity's NetworkLobby: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/41836 . So for your custom matchmaking you could either ask the UNET developers to add that feature to the asset, or try implementing it yourself.
    • First person shooter: the easiest solution is to use the FPSController from the standard assets for movement + camera. Then set the player's localPlayerAuthority to true for the NetworkIdentity component. This way you have lag free first person movement. Later on when UNET releases a decent first person character controller, then you can set localPlayerAuthority to false again for 100% security.
    • Real Time: depends on what you mean by that. There are many different concepts used in modern FPS games. Movement prediction is one example. There is no movement prediction for UNET yet, so you would have to implement that yourself too.
    So in the end, uMOBA is probably the best starting point for you, simply because there's nothing comparable on the store. Converting to first person is easy. Movement prediction etc. is more difficult.

45. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

Thanks for the quick reply, that means a lot to me. I understand what you're referring to. Well explained. Getting this will be on the list... Good going!

46. JessieK

JessieK

I must say the new UI you are planning looks very professional and probably a lot easier to use as a base for our own games so that's fantastic to see, same as the camera additions which will be a great help.

Also odd question I won't be able to test until I get home tomorrow. Would setting an abilities damage to -20 for example, heal the target? If so is there a way we can have abilities that only target allies (And a way to set it to target ally heroes, towers or minions rather than just ANY ally)

Basically looking in to designing supports and was wondering how much support there would be for buffs (healing, increasing damage, increasing mana)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    ArtsyChen likes this.
  47. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks!

There's a heal skill in the game already, you can use that one (or add another one with similar mechanics).

Buffs are already in the game too.

48. Luaans2

Luaans2

Apparently the development progress, it should not take to leave the selection of characters...

A doubt, in the future, it will be possible to create account for a website? I do not see the game with a mysql connection or something we can connect the site

Unfortunately still do not understand very well how the uber works to record information

I saw you talking on ummorpg about it record in XML

It will work the same way, since it is more 'fast'

49. JessieK

JessieK

Oh woops you are right I was just unaware you could make it target other friendly players!

Also would a DOT (damage over time) effect be possible as a later feature? Just something to consider, plus with skill shots maybe a way to delay it? this is mainly for AOE attacks so it's not an instant cast there's actually a cast time, I think you already have something like this on your ummo kit so hopefully that all makes sense

50. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: working hard on the new UI. We are about 50% done!
    Don't worry, we didn't forget about character selection. This is very far at the top of our ToDo list after the new UI.

We probably won't implement any MYSQL stuff because then people who buy uMOBA would have to setup the whole MYSQL thing first, which is just a pain to do. We may add a few code examples though, will see. There are lots of C# SQL examples on the internet though, so something simple like account validation wouldn't be too hard to implement with a nice cup of coffee and a few hours of time.

DOT is kinda possible. I use a 'murderer' status for uMMORPG where the murderer gets 1% of his health reduced per second. It uses the same skill system.

I say kinda because that whole 'adding a buff to another entity's skill list' part is a bit weird. You can try it, but I suggest waiting a little longer until we come up with something.

Luaans2 likes this.