Search Unity

uMOBA - Create your own Dota/League of Legends Game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, May 15, 2016.

1. JessieK

JessieK

Hey another thing to maybe consider adding (after playing with this kit a bit) is minion levels.

A lot of mobas have it so the minions (in your case skeletons) level up with time, so at 5 minutes they become "level 2" increasing there health, so they don't become "one hit kills" and actually take time to clear at higher levels, also increasing things like damage and maybe attack speed as of 10 minutes they become level 3 and so on and so on.

On that note "attack speed" is something that would be really nice to get turned in to something we can increase per level and with items easily.

Plus "move levels" right now it doesn't seem like you can upgrade you're moves like you can in league of legends or DOTA to increase there damage output or reduce there cooldown time etc. This'd be a great feature to add

Along with adding a another damage resource, not just "damage" (Something like magic and physical) along with adding an extra defense type to block it (Or maybe allowing an easy way to create these damage types) though I am sure this one would be as easy as copying the code of "damage" and just changing the names a lot of none-programmers (like myself) get worried about dipping in to the code so often, it'd be nice to just make adding new damage types as simple as possible, something I know you guys keep in mind when making these kits.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Again thanks for your feedback. We added Minion Levels to the roadmap.

Attack speed: good point, will get to that after more important things from the roadmap are done.

Skill levels: are currently in development. I am testing them in uMMORPG right now and will move them to uMOBA afterwards.

Magic and physical damage: maybe if more people request it. The benefit of the current system is that it's really easy and everyone can understand it - which is one of the main goals of this package. Will see..

3. JessieK

JessieK

Oh in which case could I make another suggestion, with the jungle minions would it be possible to give them a sort of "death buff" so when they die they give a player who killed them a buff of some sort?

Plus something to consider is just being able to add it so levels effect you're damage, so we can set a hero to get +1 damage every level or something, most MOBAs do this too

Also I just noticed something, the ability to create "skill shots" is required, along with adding things like, stuns, damage over time effects, blind effects, all stuff to consider.

Sorry if it seems like I am demanding content I'm really not I am just trying to throw as many ideas at the wall, I am sure the great dev team has considered most of this!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  4. Luaans2

Luaans2

Hello, I was a long time waiting for an asset!
    Next month I plan to buy!

Now I do not know if I understand right, but the Client & Server are together?
    They can not be separated?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I do think different damage type is staple for Moba.

For something like "50% Spell resistance" and such.

In Dota, spell immunity is a core gameplay mechanic.

6. mischa2k

mischa2k

A death buff is possible for later, in a few months or so. Right now we are focusing on the core mechanics to get them perfect.

Health and Mana are already level based. You could easily modify damage to be like that too (basically just use an array). I added it to the roadmap though, so you can also wait until we implemented it.

Yes, they are one. And this is great because it saves us so much work, it's almost unbelievable. Read more about it here: docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UNet.html

This is also something to consider in a few months. As I explained above, right now we are focusing on the core mechanics. We have to get those perfect first.

7. JessieK

JessieK

Thanks for the quick replies I've very awkwardly implimented the attack levels in for myself! But what about "skill shots" right now it seems you can only do "on click" attacks which really require very little skill from the player. skill shots (For example: This video) I believe is a core mechanic, I don't think any MOBA would ship without skill shots

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: V1.3 was submitted for review. It will have the skill level feature that was announced before. We are really excited about that release, because it will have several smaller improvements that make the game much smoother!

Added skill shots to the roadmap.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  9. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

An update on art: new minion model is virtually finished. I'm in the process of doing animations, so once that's done the new model will be submitted in an update. Just a reminder, I'm planning on a theme change for all of the buildings and units as well as expanding the map so it's overall better looking and more cohesive. Some of that has been outlined in the first post as a roadmap for art. As these changes are being implemented the assets will seem out of place as I replace old assets, but don't worry, it's all part of the plan!

example.jpg

10. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.3 is now on the Asset Store! Changes can be seen in the first post.
    V1.4 will be submitted very soon..

Edit: V1.4 was submitted for review. The list of changes can be seen in the first post! We also updated the WebGL demo to V1.4.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    Luaans2 likes this.
  11. Luaans2

Luaans2

I found a bug
    When you enter the Tower Attack area!

He attacks you; this is OK

But when you leave, and come back with a Minion

The Minion may be low, the tower is still attacking me

sorry my english, its google translator: p

12. mischa2k

mischa2k

The tower should be attacking the closest entity. Are you sure that the minion was closer to the tower than the player?

13. Luaans2

Luaans2

Forgiveness I saw wrong...

But I noticed that sometimes happens skeleton be in the range of the tower and I there and he caught my target

and two skeletons are struggling and I get too close, it will give priority to me, even if I did not attack him and he is struggling with the other

14. robert301990

robert301990

Hey, this looks amazing.

How smooth does it work on mobile ?

15. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: working on a simpler skill system where all the skill logic lives inside Entity.cs. This makes the code shorter and easier to understand. It also means that monsters will be able to use ScriptableObject skills, just like the player.

Yes, that's because aggro is completely distance based right now. This could be changed in the future though.

Should work fine. Depends on your phone performance of course.

16. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.4 is now on the Asset Store! Changes can be seen in the first post. It was a big maintenance update, the game play is much smoother and more enjoyable now.

Enjoy!

Luaans2 likes this.
  17. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

An update on art: New minions are now done and will be submitted in the next patch which will include a big skill update as well. There are 2 minion versions for opposing sides with 'sink into the ground' death animations. One is below, the other I've revealed in an earlier post. Already working on the barracks. Look forward to the changes!

example.jpg

mischa2k likes this.
  18. robert301990

robert301990

How hard is it going to be to add new heroes and creeps ? For example' what if I want to add those https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5589 ?
    They are animated and everything, would it be hard to add them ?

Your asset looks amazing and I will buy it for sure.

19. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks.

You can change the model by dragging the prefab in to the Hierarchy, then replacing the actual 3D model (usually a child object of the prefab), giving it a new collider onto the pelvis (like the previous one had), and then replacing the animation files in the animation controller. We will add something about this to the documentation during the next few days. But generally speaking, you should always look at an existing prefab and then modify the parts that you want to modify to be completely safe.

20. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: the new skill system is finished. We are doing a few more tests to make sure that everything runs smooth, then we will submit the next version to the asset store.

Also a few people asked me if they need the Unity networking services for uMOBA. The answer is that it depends.

You can use the Relay service if you don't want to host it on a dedicated server or if you want to spare people the port forwarding stress. Popular MOBA games like LoL and Dota2 do host it on a dedicated server, that's recommended.

You can use the Matchmaking services if you don't want to directly connect to the server with an IP address. Popular MOBA games like LoL and Dota2 use some a custom matchmaker where people can press 'Play' and the matchmaker finds a match for their skill level.

21. JessieK

JessieK

That's awesome to hear, though I for one am really waiting on the character selection, as right now it's actually impossible to set up a game to test out in this kit without heavy modification, unless you want 3 vs 3 of the same guy running around.

But I love what you've been doing, keep it up!

22. mischa2k

mischa2k

Great news: our posts are all back again. If anyone didn't notice, Unity switched to a new forum and a bug erased all our posts here.

The next uMOBA version will be out soon. We currently working on performance by decreasing the amount of lights and fog, and a new barracks model, and a new deterministic finite state machine.

23. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

Reposting the art update here due to the confusion with threads...

The new barracks are done and will be in the next update. While it is complete with particles and a death animation I ran into a snag with importing the animation. Because it will take me a couple of days to sort out the problem, the death animation will be added in a future update. Keep in mind that the barracks will look different than depicted below because of the lighting change. The lighting change is also temporary as I work on expanding the map to include new buildings and terrain for jungle creeps, etc, etc, but will continue to be efficient in performance.

example.jpg example 2.jpg

Just a reminder that the current towers and ancients will be replaced with improved models, hence the change in color scheme between the older and newer assets. Enjoy!

mischa2k likes this.
  24. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: the new state machine is finished and the new barracks were added to the game. We are doing some more testing and performance adjustments now. The version will be submitted to the store very soon!

25. mischa2k

mischa2k

Great news: V1.6 was submitted for review! The changes can be seen in the first post. We also updated the WebGL demo to V1.6 already, so everyone can test it while waiting.

26. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: working on simpler tooltips. Right now we use the same tooltip format for every item/skill and we use string concatenation to build it on the fly. This code is a bit ugly and often times we only want to show certain properties like 'damage' or 'heals mana' on certain items/skills.

The new tooltip text can be set for each item/skill individually like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <b>{NAME} Lvl {LEVEL}</b>
    2. Description here...
    4. Damage: {DAMAGE}
    5. Cast Time: {CASTTIME}
    6. Cooldown: {COOLDOWN}
    7. Cast Range: {CASTRANGE}
    8. AoE Radius: {AOERADIUS}
    9. Heals Health: {HEALSHP}
    10. Heals Mana: {HEALSMP}
    11. Buff Time: {BUFFTIME}
    12. Buffs max Health: {BUFFSHPMAX}
    13. Buffs max Mana: {BUFFSMPMAX}
    14. Buffs damage: {BUFFSDAMAGE}
    15. Buffs defense: {BUFFSDEFENSE}
    16. Buffs Health % per Second: {BUFFSHPPERCENTPERSECOND}
    17. Buffs Mana % per Second: {BUFFSMPPERCENTPERSECOND}
    18. Mana Costs: {MANACOSTS}
    And the code will replace the {VARIABLES} with the actual values.

In other words: less and simpler code, more customization in the Inspector.

27. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.6 is now on the Asset Store! Changes can be seen in the first post (new state machine, new buildings).
    Please let us know if you encounter any issues.
    example.jpg example 2.jpg

28. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

Art update: The barracks now have a death animation implemented in Unity and will be in the next update. It also has a death particle effect to make it that much better looking. Here's a video demonstrating what's in store without textures...

mischa2k likes this.
  29. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.7 is now on the Asset Store! Changes can be seen in the first post (tooltips and lots of smaller improvements).

ArtsyChen likes this.
  30. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: V1.8 was submitted for review with a new barracks death animation and lots of smaller improvements. Also a few UNET bug workarounds, so everything works fine in multiplayer now.

The two UNET bugs that caused networking errors were:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...with-certain-names-is-not-synced-with-clients
    and
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...lash-readbytes-out-of-range-errors-in-clients
    I found and reported both of them a long time ago when working on my uMMORPG project. Sadly they still exist. If this bothers you, let them know!

I also had some time to work on something interesting: fog of war. You may have noticed the new team proximity checker in the change notes for V1.8. It makes sure that entities only receives updates about other entities in their team that they can see, or about any enemy entities that are seen by someone in their team. This works great already, but we still needed a visual effect for it. This is what's commonly known as Fog of War in many MOBAs and RTS games.

This is the first experimental fog of war version:
    2016-07-23_fow_before.png
    This is todays improved version:
    2016-07-23_fow_after.png

chiapet1021 likes this.
  31. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

Art update: I'm currently remaking the map to be much more expansive. This particular area will be the starting point (or fountain) with the shopkeeper. The map will be dota sized and will be designed in the spirit of Dota. Look forward to it!

example.jpg

Luaans2 and mischa2k like this.
  32. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Could you please imclude placeholder sounds for fight and stuff?

33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: uMOBA V1.8 is now on the Asset Store. Changes can be seen in the first post!
    Fog of War if finished now too. We are doing some final tests, afterwards it will be submitted to the store!

We don't have any sounds yet, and we can't just use random sounds from the internet because of licensing issues in most cases. It's also not that high on our priority list, because sounds are Unity basics. We are focusing on the difficult networking stuff first.
    Added it to the roadmap though!

pushingpandas likes this.
  34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I could provide you licence-free placeholder sounds. Even if its unity basic. Most of asset user are NOT programmers, thats why most use assets in the first place. Others want to learn from assets. Therefore it would complete the asset if you add sound. Otherwise you could argue and remove animations aswell since they are Unity basic as well. And remove UI and remove ...

35. mischa2k

mischa2k

Where did you get those sounds from?
    And no worries, we will add sounds sooner or later. It's just a priority thing. None of this is easy, we know that. Networking is harder than sounds though, that's why we want to get that out of the way first.

pushingpandas likes this.
  36. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

37. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: we are working on a more MOBA like skill system where players can click on the skill and then select the monster that they want to cast it on. Making great progress, will be released soon!

Luaans2 likes this.
  38. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.9 is now on the Asset Store. Changes can be seen in the first post!

Here is a screenshot of the new fog of war effect:
    2016-07-27a.png

39. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: the patcher got a small bug fix and some improved documentation today. Exceptions AND Errors are now shown in a message box.

40. Luaans2

Luaans2

41. mischa2k

mischa2k

Luaans2 likes this.
  42. ArtsyChen

ArtsyChen

Art Update: scene test with new water shader for the river...

1_In Game Display.jpg

mischa2k and Luaans2 like this.
  43. Luaans2

Luaans2

@vis2k I was trying for the game on my Cloud Server
    but unfortunately does not

any idea how to proceed?

44. mischa2k

mischa2k

Install DirectX.
    But I highly recommend a linux server and a headless build instead. Doing any rendering on a dedicated server would be a huge waste of resources, especially since they usually don't have any good GPUs in them.

45. Luaans2

Luaans2

I am using VPS to something else
    I decided to test there and gave it
    then gave this problem, but I will do as I say

46. mischa2k

mischa2k

Luaans2 likes this.
  47. Luaans2

Luaans2

some questions

Future will
    Database?
    Create an account?
    or something that each person can have his account?

48. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress Info: finished the new outline effect when hovering over entities. The new skill system feels much smoother now.
    2016-08-08_outline.png
    That's not planned at the moment, because we didn't consider that to be a critical feature for a MOBA. For example, Dota 1 worked without the need for a player database. Items, Skills, etc. can be edited with the Unity Inspector of course.

49. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update: V1.10 is now on the Asset Store. Changes can be seen in the first post!

50. Luaans2

Luaans2

I liked this new update!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016