Search Unity

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity addon for uMMORPG is free (and supported), but you need a Dialogue System for Unity license to use it, of course. I don't frequent vis2k's Discord or the uMMORPG forum frequently, so if you have any questions please post here or the Dialogue System thread or the Pixel Crushers forum or PM me.

nirvanajie and Hitch42 like this.
  2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.122 [released 2018-06-11]
    • Upgraded to Unity 2017.4.4 LTS for important bug fixes
    • Dark UI
    • LoadSkillbar only adds skills tos killbar if they were learned
    • Equipment Avatar in UI
    • Clickable chat messages (to reply)
    • UIDragAndDropable: OnDragAndClear isn't called anymore if the slot is dropped on itself
    • UIDragAndDroptable: Button interactable set to false while dragging so onClick isn't called anymore if the slot is dropped on itself
    2018-06-10_new_icons.png

Hitch42 and Neviah like this.
  3. Hatfield

Hatfield

So, at this point are you no longer adding any features this?

Just kind of..... fixing some bugs here and there?

Do you plan on ever adding any more optional features or systems to this package?

Edit: not knocking you or anything by the way, just curious. I bought this package. It's amazing, but I have alot to change. Was just curious about plans for the future of this thing. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Will add more features. People asked me to slow down a bit though, because they couldn't keep up with the updates :)

Hatfield likes this.
  5. Flairforge

Flairforge

I received this package a long time ago.
    but there are still basic deficiencies

-Item upgrade system
    -Warehouse
    -Merchant system
    -Nation system

I look forward to these updates :)

6. mischa2k

mischa2k

I never promised any of these features.

But items can be upgraded already with the crafting system (e.g. sword item + fire item + firesword item).
    Someone in the community made a warehouse addon already.
    Not sure what you mean with merchant system / nation system.

7. Flairforge

Flairforge

I have not already said that you promised :)

Yes I know the plugin(warehouse) in the community. but instead it would be nice to have an warehouse

-nation system example : Orc vs Human (in the current system everyone can attack each other)

-Merchant system : a system where users can sell their goods among themselves , you build a market and sell products

my goal is not to criticize , I'm telling the shortcomings I see in the system I use.

sorry for my bad English :)

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

I understand, thanks for your feedback. Will think about it!

Flairforge likes this.
  9. annak1n

annak1n

Hi.
    I have some questions.
    Its it possible to make dedicated server ( separate server and client) like a KBEngine, i mean run server on the *Nix, Win on Console without IDE or Editor ?
    And i think it’s bad idea to use one scene for all game. I mean need to separate Start, Login, Select Avatar and World.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  10. mischa2k

mischa2k

uMMORPG runs in linux's headless mode yes.
    UNET wasn't really developed with proper scene changing ability, sorry.

11. annak1n

annak1n

But its really to separate all scenes like i said ?
    I think its not a big problem ?
    And one more question, if i buy ummorpg next update i will get free or i need to pay for updates?

12. annak1n

annak1n

And very bad idea to make client/server on the one scene or on project, need to separate client and server.
    Server need to make on one window and put some admin tools, like online, kick client, ban client and other.
    Sry for my English

13. annak1n

annak1n

On the assetsstore have examples customization characters free, its not hard.

14. mischa2k

mischa2k

You get all updates for free.
    UNET phase 3 won't happen. I made a NEtworkZones addon though, where you can run one scene per server process.

Maybe if I have better 3D models later. The addon system has hooks so you can implement that yourself though.

15. shiquhudong

shiquhudong

Hi vis2k, I have installed headless server on dedicate ubuntu host. I have got follow errors.
    "Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'm_Array[idx].isDelivered == false'"
    There are delay sometimes. What's the reason? Is it network problem?
    (Photon is working without delay.)

16. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey, never seen this error before. Can you try with a fresh ummorpg project and Unity 2017.4 LTS?

17. shiquhudong

shiquhudong

It's working well on local server. But when hosting on remote server, there is delay in moving. For example, when I click direction key or mouse button, it seems to freeze moment. Is there any option to avoid it?

18. Sehlor

Sehlor

If you need character customizations you can purchase my UMA AddOn Here: http://www.oastudios.net/uma-addon-for-ummorpg

It offers quite a bit of customization and working nicely with latest version.

19. mischa2k

mischa2k

There is no movement prediction yet, sorry. This is really, really difficult in multiplayer games.
    Click movement works really well because as soon as the character started walking, the path will be perfectly smooth.
    WASD movement is still not perfect yet for the lack of prediction. Working on it..

20. Hatfield

Hatfield

I know this is not a question directly for this package, but it is for it, so I'll ask it here.

I am interested in building a website for my game. I can build a simple informative website easy enough, but there are 2 things that I'm not sure how to approach.

1. What is a good approach to create a forum?

Question 2 ties into question 1, and is the reason I'm asking it here.

2. I would like to create some features on the website such as character lookup, high scores, and displaying class/level/etc. on your forum posts.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of how to access the database and pull all of this information?

I have an idea of what is involved, but I'm missing some kind of key piece to the puzzle and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

Is there any kind of asset out there that would perhaps simplify or speed up the process of creating this ?

21. mischa2k

mischa2k

1. Any good forum software. There are a lot. Maybe use the one unity uses here
    2. Query the database. Might want to consider changing sqlite to mysql for that.

Hatfield likes this.
  22. mischa2k

mischa2k

Maybe try making your own clan addon? All the addons are made by the community just for fun.

23. iuxeayor

iuxeayor

Hello @vis2k ,

I am planning on making a simple hack-n-slash RPG with a little bit of co-op. Is this asset overkill for that? Would I be able to easily modify uMMORPG in order to accommodate for a top-down camera and basic hack-n-slash style battle controls? Or is uMMORPG only really geared toward being massively multiplayer?

And is this asset really easy to use? It has a lot of awesome features and I'm just curious how easy it is to access and use them. Is there a UI, or is it just dragging scripts onto GameObjects or prefabs into scenes?

Thank you for your help!
    -Iuxeayor

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  24. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hi, I believe I already answered the exact same question somewhere else today, so check your emails or discord messages or wheverever you asked me first.

In short: yes.

25. darknubis365

darknubis365

I have a question about this asset,I see the models used are base models i assume for attaching equipment but what if i didn't want to use the equipment functions,Because my models are fully dressed,How would that work with this asset ?

26. mischa2k

mischa2k

You can use any models that you like. Equipment needs to be separate meshes if you want to be able to equip/unequip it.

27. GD-Ander

GD-Ander

Hi vis2k

first of all, thanks for this great package, I have bought this asset some months ago but didn't used yet, just tested it.
    I'm considering using this asset to create a "Living RPG World" for my final project in college.
    So, I am wondering if you can provide me some input, insights and thoughts about it.

My initial idea is to create a world which will behaves accordingly to users actions.
    It will be few AI Agents which will do actions based on "All" Player logs.
    For example: Let's say that I have an entity called "Goblin King" this entity will have an AI which will command all monsters of Goblin Race in the world.
    This AI Agent will be responsible to:
    - Change quantity of Goblin Spawns in the world
    - Change Spawn Locations
    - Reallocate goblins to other maps/dungeons.
    - Etc.

Do you think this is a good to idea to use your package for?
    Any rocks in my path to advance me?
    Thanks for any inputs you can provide me.

Anderson Oliveira

28. mischa2k

mischa2k

That shouldn't be too difficult. You can easily modify the uMMORPG Monster script or make your own.

29. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

Having a Spawn System like @GD-Ander mentioned would be nice, as the Kit does not have anything like that by default.

30. StaticCG

StaticCG

What is with the crazy frame drops when playing the game for 5 minutes or more.

Using Unity 2018.1.6f1 which is not the recommended but I don't see what would happen if I didn't.

It's almost like a memory leak, but RAM is not being eaten up, yet the performance is indicative of one.

(uMMORPG 2D)

31. mischa2k

mischa2k

This is why we use the LTS version :) Try it!

32. Fhiz

Fhiz

Hello,
    We - the community behind uMMORPG bring lots of AddOns to the asset. We recently updated most of your AddOns and are now working together on making this asset bigger and better than ever. Please be invited to our discord channel where we share all of our addons for FREE:

https://discord.gg/v8hcNzp

This being said. I have realized that some people expressed their disgust about the asset and the way how it is updated. I feel like taking up the cudgels for Vis2k and the wonderful work he put into uMMORPG already, projects like this tend to be very complex and get out of hands soon. It takes a whole community to support the codebase required for a MMO (eve on indie scale) as it is simply too much for one author.

Have fun using the asset and our (free) AddOns

-Fhiz

tequyla, nirvanajie and Hatfield like this.
  33. StaticCG

StaticCG

Will do!

mischa2k likes this.
  34. mischa2k

mischa2k

People complain no matter how I update it. Last few months I released a lot of updates, and people were overwhelmed. This months I released less updates, now people want more :)

StaticCG and chiapet1021 like this.
  35. AshyB

AshyB

@vis2k oh you poor poor person you. I've been reading through all the comments and posts from the public and they literally make me want to gouge my eyes out in frustration. I would of gave up responding to them years ago.

Your doing some great work here, don't listen to the complainers - you just do you.

I'm tempted to buy this, but in all honesty, I just don't know if I can be stuffed starting another project, but maybe I will...

mischa2k and StaticCG like this.
  36. Jastreb07

Jastreb07

Hi Community,

I'm on develop with uMMORPG a Mobile game, I develop alone on it and the project going bigger and bigger and it is hard work alone on it.
    Now I search a team for it who want develop it with me first as hobby project and than what the future say.

My skills:
    - Web developer
    - Unity developer
    - C#, js, php, html, css, SQL and more
    - Photoshop
    - Little 3D modeling

I search:
    - 3D modelers.
    - Photoschop
    - Developer's
    - Effects developer (like for skills effects).
    - Writer and who can balancing the game.

If you interest than send me a PN or email on vitalij.dell@hotmail.com.

NEW VIDEO UPDATE

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    brad_penbach, Neviah and darknubis365 like this.
  37. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: V1.126 submitted for review. Lots of important improvements and fixes!

• V1.126 [released 2018-07-24]
    • Upgraded to Unity 2017.4.7 LTS
    • UIDragAndDropable: OnDragAndClear is only fired when dropping a slot into nirvana, not when dropping it on a panel. Fixes issues where OnDragAndClear would be called if we'd drop something in the space between two item slots, etc. This just feels a lot more solid.
    • NetworkNavMeshAgent send interval changed from 0 to 100ms so it doesn't ddos the server with the latest HLAPI CE fixes where sendInterval actually works
    • NetworkNavMeshAgent reimplemented: huge bandwidth reduction because click movement only syncs when destination changed now, not while velocity changes (all the time previously). Also fixes several twitches for wasd moving clients. Added perfect warp detection + Rpc now too.
    • Minimap clear flags set to solid color and color set to a dark gray to match the UI panel. Improvements minimap appearance when standing at the edge of the world.
    • Skeleton Giant: added NetworkName component to avoid "(Clone)" suffix on clients
    • UILogin.registerButton not interactable while connecting anymore
    • NetworkManagerMMO.state so that Login/CharacterCreation/CharacterSelection UIs know when to be visible. Fixes a bug where character selection would be shown while server closed and disconnect wasn't detected yet.
    • UILogin status shows 'Handshake' now too

nirvanajie, Hatfield and Deleted User like this.
  38. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: V1.128 submitted for review:

• V1.128
      • Passive Skills
      • UI Skill prefab disabled color changed to white so that unlearned skill icons are shown in the original color
      • Skill.ToolTip now always shows at least level 1 so that unlearned skills don't show level 0 descriptions
      • UI Character Info shows critical and block chances now

39. mischa2k

mischa2k

**Progress:** still working on networking improvements (HLAPI_CE). Will reduce bandwidth by 10% on average soon, assuming a 20 bytes average message length (it's probably even less on average).

40. darknubis365

darknubis365

Looking Nice Where did you get the character select btw?

41. Fhiz

Fhiz

Hello,
    I just re-opened my website:

http://indie-mmo.net

30 uMMORPG3d AddOns have been update to the latest version of the asset and made available for FREE download.

This covers almost everything required to build a full game.

Please think about a donation (see ReadMe in downloads) when you use one or more AddOns on your project.

Thank you!
    -Fhiz

tequyla and mischa2k like this.
  42. Duffer123

Duffer123

@vis2k ,

Daft question... Can you make single player games with this Asset too?

43. mischa2k

mischa2k

You can run 'server & play' mode aka host mode aka singleplayer with the ability for others to connect.
    And if you wanted to you could set the networkmanager to 'dontListen' so others can't connect.

So yea, you could!

Duffer123 likes this.
  44. mischa2k

mischa2k

Networking News:

After fixing UNET's HLAPI with HLAPI CE, UNET's low level networking (LLAPI) was the last part in the uMMORPG Networking stack that I didn't control.

The State of UNET's LLAPI
    • Our community tests with the built in LLAPI have shown poor results with NO_RESOURCES errors starting at around 80 CCU. 80 players are not even remotely enough for MMORPGs.
    • The LLAPI developer was assigned to another project and can't fix bugs anymore
    • LLAPI using UDP also meant lots of random packet loss (at least 20% on a good Wifi connection).
      • If any important packet was lost, the whole game would get out of sync. For example, if a player misses another player's spawn packet, then he could never interact with it and could be attacked by someone invisible. This too is just completely awful for indie multiplayer games.
    • LLAPI is closed source C code. We don't know what it does internally and there is no way to fix bugs if we encounter them now or in production. What the hell are you going to do if you encounter a LLAPI bug after launching your MMORPG?
    • Most of us here are small teams or lone wolf developers. We don't have time to worry about low level networking. The damn thing needs to work.
    LLAPI was a good start for uMMORPG. But now it's time to break the chains and move on to a better solution, so I can finally finish this Asset and start my own MMORPG project, and you guys can have a trusted low level networking solution for your projects too.

Introducing Telepathy
    telepathy_256x128.png

https://github.com/vis2k/Telepathy

I decided to make my own low level transport layer so we don't have to rely on Unity anymore. I needed a library that was:
    • Stable & Bug free: Telepathy uses only 400 lines of code. There is no magic.
    • High performance: Telepathy can handle thousands of connections and packages.
    • 100% reliable: Telepathy uses TCP. Anything we send will be received in the same order. No more packet loss. No more getting out of sync.
    • Concurrent: Telepathy uses one thread per connection. It can make heavy use of multi core processors.
    • Simple: Telepathy takes care of everything. All you need to do is call Connect/GetNextMessage/Disconnect.
    • Message based: if we send 10 and then 2 bytes, then the other end receives 10 and then 2 bytes, never 12 at once.
    • Low enough latency: Telepathy disables the Nagls Algorithm for TCP.

Multiplayer games are insanely difficult to make.

I created Telepathy so that we would never have to worry about low level networking again.

Testing Telepathy
    A raw transport connections test on a 2015 Macbook Pro with a 2,2 GHz i7 processor, spawning lots of clients and one server, sending 100 bytes per client, 14 times per second, with the server echoing back each message:
    upload_2018-8-14_14-0-32.png
    Note: the results will be drastically better on a really powerful dedicated server (tests follow).

I also contacted @nxrighthere to include Telepathy in his Unity Networking Benchmarks. @nxrighthere needs to do a few more adjustments for his TCP tests, but here are the first temporary results:
    upload_2018-8-14_14-4-10.png

Telepathy has similar CPU usage, but far less RAM and Bandwidth than the other libraries all while providing 100% reliable, ordered messages via TCP.

We also used an experimental Telepathy version in our last Community Test, which we stopped after 105 CCU because we simply didn't have more players:
    101 ingame.png

It's worth noting that this is only Telepathy V1.0. We are not even close to what can be done here.

What's Next:
    I am currently integrating Telepathy into an experimental HLAPI_CE branch, which we will then use in another Community Test in the next couple of days, hopefully resulting in 200 CCU worst case, with every player broadcasting to every other player on the server.

This will be really close to our 500-1000 CCU 'real case' goal with 1000 players on one server, but not everyone broadcasting to everyone else all the time.

Breaking UNET's Chains:
    There will be one more final networking announcement soon, which will completely break the last of HLAPI's UNET chains. We will be in full control over uMMORPGs networking, fully independent of UNET. It will be a drop-in replacement.

• There will be no code changes for uMMORPG customers (except a few [channel=Unreliable] tags).
    • There will be no more DLL replacements.
    • There will be no more legacy code that we have to keep for compatibility.
    • There will be no more bugs that we can't fix because we will be in full control.
    • There will be no more worrying about Unity's support / abandonment.
    • There will be some long overdue HLAPI features like 'SyncToOwner'. This feature will effectively cut bandwidth in half, because a players inventory/quests/etc. won't be broadcasted to every surrounding player anymore.

We will finally be able to make our dream MMORPGs a reality.

Final Words:
    It's time for a huge thank you to
    • @goldbug for his work on HLAPI_CE and Telepathy and for our UDP vs. TCP discussions that got us here. @goldbug created Cubica , the most promising uMMORPG game and he needed stable networking more than any of us.
    • McCoburn and Lymdun for their HLAPI_CE support/tests.
    • @nxrighthere for his nagle algorithm pull request
    • All the HLAPI_CE donators
    • All the uMMORPG customers and their patience about the networking bugs. From now on, I take full responsibility for any networking bug and I will fix all of them.
    • The UNET team @aabramychev @seanr @larus @erikjuhl @MichalBUnity for creating LLAPI and HLAPI and for open sourcing HLAPI. uMMORPG wouldn't have happened without UNET back in 2015. That being said, we really trusted you :(

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  45. moco2k

moco2k

This sounds amazing!
    (almost too good to be true ;))

Just wondering - is a TCP-based LLAPI also suitable to sufficiently empower fast-paced FPS games?
    I guess disabling the Nagle algorithm makes things faster, right?

46. goldbug

goldbug

For a fast pace FPS, ideally you would want 2 channels:
    • a reliable channel (such as TCP or RUDP) for spawning enemies, chatting, trading, etc. TCP is pretty competitive with RUDP in terms of performance.
    • an unreliable channel (such as UDP) for movement and voice chat. Losing a packet here and there would not matter for this specific use case, you only care about the latest data and low latency.
    While that would be ideal, in practice TCP will probably be good enough for your average indie FPS.

Personally I just need the damn thing to work, which is more than I can say about LLAPI.

47. Player7

Player7

That was more exciting to read than Unity's last stupid unet connected games blog post from a week or so ago... like seriously unity the entire networking part of this engine should be better. Atleast we get an idea of what is improving with your new networking api... with unity.. still waiting...will be waiting months... for them

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    mischa2k likes this.
  48. mischa2k

mischa2k

In the local computer connections test, Telepathy V1.0 uses 3% more CPU usage and 15x less RAM than UNET (which was in development for 3+ years). In fact, if you are on 2017.4 LTS then UNET can't even do 1000 CCU because alexey's fix was not backported yet, unless they missed it in the release notes.

In a real world example (uMMORPG on a linux server), UNET can handle about 50-80 players before 'NO_RESOURCES' errors appear and everyone gets completely out of sync:
    79 noresources and 700 .png

While a an early (pre V1.0) Telepathy version was able to handle 105 players - and that is not the limit, we just didn't have more testers available:
    101.png

So your statement is simply not true.
    (Not to forget that LLAPI is closed source and has bugs that aren't being fixed. Even if it was 10x faster than Telepathy, it wouldn't matter because there's no point if we can't get bug fixes.)

Unity released their HLAPI source years ago. It's under the MIT License, everyone can legally modify it.
    I did not change 'a few lines' either, HLAPI CE has a total 217 commits of bug fixes and new features like SyncToOwner.

So this statement is also not true.

The developer of this asset has stolen parts of uMMORPG twice before, and they were reported and taken down by Unity on the dates 2016-09-30 and 2017-07-08. He did steal parts of my code again in his newest MMORPG Asset, which in fact is not legal because uMMORPG is not under the MIT License, it's under the Asset Store License which explicitly forbids stealing other people's code.

So this statement is not true either.

ModLunar and Musketeer like this.
  49. goldbug

goldbug

You are a bit confused.
    Telepathy @1000ccu uses 165 MB of RAM. Unet @1000ccu uses 2.44GB, I guess you can call that "slightly less ram consumption" for some value of "slightly"

Yes, we went to the future, downloaded the source code from the their new transport that they will release a few months from now, came back and released it as Telepathy, then we proceeded to distribute it free and open source under MIT License. Now that you know our secret plan to take over the world, we cannot let you live Mr. Bond.

ModLunar, Aphid, nirvanajie and 2 others like this.
  50. goldbug

goldbug

That code does not include LLAPI. it includes some of HLAPI. HLAPI was released many years ago under MIT license, which allows for forking and making it your own. We have done a lot of improvements on top of that code, and it is still just as free (MIT license)

This has nothing to do with Telepathy, Telepathy has no code from HLAPI or LLAPI. feel free to browse the Telepathy repository and see for yourself.

There are 2 benchmarks.

First benchmark is just Telepathy vs Unet and other transports. That is where we compare 1000ccu for Telepathy vs 1000ccu for LLAPI, and it uses an order of magnitude less memory. This benchmark is not even run by us, it is run by @nxrighthere.

In the second benchmark, we ran ummorpg using LLAPI vs ummorpg using telepathy. LLAPI started giving errors with 80 users. With telepathy, we stopped at 105 with no errors simply because we ran out of users.

So you cannot take the numbers from one benchmark (ummorpg + Telepathy @ 105ccu) and compare it to the numbers in a completely different benchmark (only Unet @ 1000ccu), they are different benchmarks. It is comparing apple to oranges. In one benchmark we test the transport, and on the other benchmark we test an mmo rpg game with different transports

TeKniKo64 likes this.